Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Engine compartment panel 141 813 181C vs. 141 813 181A
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
quiquediaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:35 am    Post subject: Engine compartment panel 141 813 181C vs. 141 813 181A Reply with quote

Hello, I need to change the three panels in the engine compartment of a 1960 Ghia. The OEM part of the long one on the back # is 141 813 181A but I can only find the later model metal panel with # 141 813 181C. Can somebody tell me if, making any sort of modification, I can install this later version in the earlier, what is the difference, they look very similar.
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm guessing you mean this area...
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

If so there are differences, I didnt know this when I scavanged used metal for my car. Replaced rear and left side. We had to add about an inch on the left side at the wheel well to make it fit. If you look close you can see it. So there is a difference in width, perhaps coinciding with wider motors? different release hold downs for different years? Not sure. Just a little fabbing and more than likely it will work. Perhaps the seller can take measurements for you. I can remember this issue coming up in the past. Maybe a search will get you more info.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
quiquediaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thank you for your help!. We will have to do some additional metal work to make it fit. I will buy this later version of the panel and the earlier side trays and see what happens. There is only one way to know it. Thank you again Very Happy
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember another difference with the rear panel, the one which holds the engine lid latch. The #...181A should be for a Ghia with a 36hp engine, like what your '60 would've originally had. The front edge of the rear panel is approx. 1" longer towards the front of the car than the same panel for the 40hp cars (1961 on). That's because the 40hp engine is longer towards the rear by approx. 1". I saw this difference in the rear panels in person last year at a local VW meet where a man had a '60 Ghia convertible, and another person had his fully original, purchased-new '65. The difference in the distance from the front edge of that latch to the front edge of the panel where the engine seal is fastened was approx. a "thumb" wide.

I also remember reading that when VW stopped selling the 181A as a spare part, you had to use the later version (maybe it was ...181B?). This would result in an approx 1" gap to the rear engine cross-tin on the 36hp engine cars. So VW compensated for that gap by selling a rear cross-tin for 36hp engines which was 1" longer to the rear.

I have not researched the ...181C rear section which you mention, but I can imagine that might be for a '68 on which had the differently shaped stiffening rib pressings.
quiquediaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok. Now I know the changes I have to make. I really thank you for all the tips. It is nlce to have someone helping. Very Happy
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent response^^
you can see the difference at the rear panel.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Mellow Yellow 74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am starting to restore a 62 KG with some dodgy accident repair in the rear and purchased a lock carrier plate (aka engine compartment inner deck, centre third) for a 67-74 to replace the original one.

I have not installed it yet but if I place it over the old one the overall dimensions appear to be the same but there are four differences:

- the threaded holes for the lock mechanism are different

- the new style has four recessed drain holes in the rear edge (the original has two holes but no recesses)

- the new style does not have the recess for the corner of the stamped rectangle in the battery tray like the original one

- the new style has the engine seal channel flush with the top of the panel (the original has the channel recessed down the side)

To use the new one I will have to modify these items plus relocate the engine seal channel on the two side battery tray panels. I haven't decided yet but I may just end up straightening the original one because it is not too bad.

From the other responses it sounds like you will need to make additional changes to make it fit your 60, but from the photos above I think you will have the same issues as on my 62 as well.
quiquediaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok. I Thank you for all the advise. As a matter of fact I will buy both side trays from Danny. , but he has not the center panel. I will take a look at that German supplier, If they don't have it I will buy the later version because the original one is death corroded. But now I know a lot of information thanks to all of you. Blessings! Smile
VeloMikey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you post a link to the German supplier? I need on too.

Ghia Build Thread https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768748
Mellow Yellow 74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The website is http://www.wagner-blechteile.de - it is in German and the vendor Juergen does not speak English but I successfully placed an order by email using Google translate. My hint is to use short and simple sentences and translate English to German then back to English to check it is saying what you meant it to say.

The international shipping charges he quoted were quite expensive but I arranged with him to ship it to a shipping forwarder in Germany which was much cheaper - see http://mailboxde.com.

Juergen makes Karmann Ghia parts that you can't get elsewhere - I got a set of early heater channels, a fender repair panel with the badge recess and some repair prices for my door. I haven't seen these for sale anywhere else and the early lock carrier plate is the same situation.
pbaptist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

also see: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=195545
4* Rometsch Lawrence (nr 534, 555, 558 and 561)

Karmann-Ghia Lowlight page and registry
Karmann-Ghia Collectibles database
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: