Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Ruptured new shock absorbers??
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Poptopcamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:46 am    Post subject: Ruptured new shock absorbers?? Reply with quote

I was putting new brake shoes on the rear of my 78 Riviera, when I lowered it there was oil on the ground on the driver's side. After I did the passenger side, there was oil on the ground too, after I lowered the bus. It took me a while but I traced it to the new shocks I put on. It looks like they both ruptured. I put them on last summer and haven't driven the bus. I've been busy and am just getting back to working on it. I got new tires last summer and have lifted the bus at least four times to put each of those on with no oil leaks from the shocks. I live in Wyoming where it's way below freezing even in my unheated garage, but that shouldn't be the cause. I'm stumped. I don't want to put on two new shocks just to have them rupture too. Anyone have any ideas what could cause them to fail just from being raised and lowered on the Jack?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

2020 VW Tiguan
2001 Harley Electraglide Classic
1986 BMW R 800cc motorcycle
2002 Chevy Camaro Z28
1999 Harley Sportster 1200 Custom
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What brand of shocks? Do they give normal travel? When the vehicle is raised do the axle drop down so the spring plates rest on the stops?
Poptopcamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't see a name and I threw away the box last summer. Made in Japan and I bought them from Bus Depot. They are supposedt fit a 1978 bus.??
2020 VW Tiguan
2002 Chevy Camaro Z28
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the color they would likely be KYB shocks, maybe they don't like sitting when they are recently installed and the seals haven't had a chance to seat from use?
Poptopcamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think they are KYB. I hope that's all it is. I will put on some new ones and keep fingers crossed. I put the same brand shocks on front at the same time and no leaks. Maybe the bus is pissed that I'm taking so long to get it on the road and showed me. I'm retired now so I have time to finish the restoration.
2020 VW Tiguan
2002 Chevy Camaro Z28
Joey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=590596

‘60 Kombi - '74 Bus - '79 Panel - '65 Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Poptopcamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Joey. So if you were ordering KYBs for a 78 bus which one would you choose or would you go with a different brand.
2020 VW Tiguan
2002 Chevy Camaro Z28
Joey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd get the 344082s. Personally, I find the KYB Gas a just a bit too stiff.

‘60 Kombi - '74 Bus - '79 Panel - '65 Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Excel-G series are nice.

Here is a chart with p/n v. dimensions: http://www.kyb.com/knowledge-center/shock-tech-for-pros/dimensions/

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Poptopcamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read Joey's threads and I remember that I had to lift the shock to get it to fit in the top fitting and I thought that was odd. But once I got it on, I didn't worry about it. Until now. So I just crawled under the bus and after that Made in Japan stamp are the numbers 554060 U107K. I guess I'll go with the 344082 and if they don't want to fit, I'll know what's wrong. Thanks for the feedback.
2020 VW Tiguan
2002 Chevy Camaro Z28
morymob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today's parts r notorious 4 being wrong fit or no fit at all. The shock shouldn't under any condition be the 'stop' for up or down wheel travel. Factory has provided these, shocks r built to work freely within these dimensions. EX: if wheel has dropped to it's full down travel when vehicle is jacked.up u should still have some free travel of shock if you remove one end &stretch shock further, same 4 up stop limit. If this not met u will destroy the shock either bottoming out while driving or on aa lift. As usual no warranty offered at this time.
Poptopcamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any site where I find the KYB 344082, it says it's not for my 1978 VW bus. So I'm guessing I just get it and pay no attention to their advice. As long as it has those Magic dimensions of 23.03. 13.9. 9.13? Right? Just clarifying before ordering. Thanks.
2020 VW Tiguan
2002 Chevy Camaro Z28
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

morymob wrote:
Today's parts r notorious 4 being wrong fit or no fit at all. The shock shouldn't under any condition be the 'stop' for up or down wheel travel. Factory has provided these, shocks r built to work freely within these dimensions. EX: if wheel has dropped to it's full down travel when vehicle is jacked.up u should still have some free travel of shock if you remove one end &stretch shock further, same 4 up stop limit. If this not met u will destroy the shock either bottoming out while driving or on aa lift. As usual no warranty offered at this time.

That depends on the shock actually. In fact...many, many shocks including the shocks on the rear of my 412....are designed to be the travel stop.

Also.....a single stroke of travel even if these shocks are not designed to be the travel stop for this vehicle.....would NOT cause this issue. Also these are KYB-Gr-2/excel G series shocks.

They are low pressure gas/oil....but are pressurized. Leaving them fully extended....car up on stands. ....through sub-zero weather with nothing keeping the cups/seals expanded internally....can cause the pressurized section to bypass the seals and force fluid out the top shaft seal.

Also a very common issue with keep shocks/struts extended over time and then lowering the car and causing damage.......is from rust forming on the strut rod and abrading the seal on the first stroke. With the low pressure gas inside it will vent fluid.

Ray
Poptopcamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ordered the KYB 344082 from FCPEuro. Called to confirmed that it would extend to 23.03,etc. I have the 107K kit from my failed shocks. Thanks for everyone's help.
2020 VW Tiguan
2002 Chevy Camaro Z28
BusPriest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's no chance that's brake fluid, is there?
Not a Priest.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also...its worth it to note...take a look at the part # down by the lower eye bushing. There will be a production date there.

You note that its been sitting a year with no exercise. If the shocks had already been sitting for a couple of years on the shelf....there is your problem.

Shocks ...sitting for several years are notorious...just like NOS master cylinders...for seal failures.

The big problem with gas shocks is that if left unused for too long....the gas pressure can leak and bypass to the upper chamber....forcing oil past the seals before they can get exercised and start working. Ray
Poptopcamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bled the brakes today. No brake fluid leaks noted. And there was oil on the bottom of the rear shocks with the pool of oil just below on the floor on both sides. 99 3/4 % sure it's shock oil. But I could have poltergeist playing tricks on me. 😎
2020 VW Tiguan
2002 Chevy Camaro Z28
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

do you own a male Irish or Scottish terrier? Are there any Irish in your family?

raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
do you own a male Irish or Scottish terrier? Are there any Irish in your family?

Oh ...man...what you are inferring is cruel! Laughing ...in my youth....I might have played tricks like that. Crawl under a buddy's immaculate car and put a dribble of oil under a part...that is not leaking.....and watch the insanity begin.... Laughing

Ray
morymob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Talking bay shocks not 411,412 or other specialty 'types, 'even brand x's of the same/earlier this still applies, , specialty shock mfgrs may be able to stand up longer with misfitted shocks, not my problem, good stock if they can be found works 4 my purpose, as usual no warranty offered at this time.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: