Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1966 Beetle Doors
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trekker182
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 1:13 pm    Post subject: 1966 Beetle Doors Reply with quote

I am restoring/rebuilding a 1966 Beetle which was someones unfinished project. We have most of the parts but the doors are missing. Can anyone tell me if doors from other years will fit and if so which years.

Thanks
Don
Underdog65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

65 doors will fit
Trekker182
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Underdog65 wrote:
65 doors will fit

Thanks for the reply, I take it that later doors will not fit? how about earlier than 65?
Underdog65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's a two year door but I my be wrong someone will tell you.good luck with your project. I found four or five sets of door for a 65 and 66 in the classifieds

Last edited by Underdog65 on Sun Jul 26, 2015 1:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correct a 2 year only door. 1965 and 1966.
Larger windows, shorter door panels, slider style latch and ice pick inside door handle.

Now..not all countries use the same body.. SO it depends on what you have and where the car was originally destined for.

Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited

Last edited by VOLKSWAGNUT on Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Trekker182
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:
Technically a 2 year only door. 1965 and 1966.
Larger windows, shorter door panels, slider style latch and ice pick inside door handle.

Now..not all countries use the same body.. SO it depends on what you have and where the car was originally destined for.

Can anyone tell me why it's only doors from 65/66 Beetles that fit a 1966? is it the shape of the door, the hinges, handles etc. are all of these? I am really struggling to find 65/66 doors in the UK.
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trekker182 wrote:
VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:

Can anyone tell me why it's only doors from 65/66 Beetles that fit a 1966? is it the shape of the door, the hinges, handles etc. are all of these? I am really struggling to find 65/66 doors in the UK.

Technically... the door size and basic outer shape NEVER changed for the entire Beetle Sedan production timeline.. Think
So in essence... a 49 door will "fit" a 77..... and vice-versa.. may look like crap... will fit the slot.... but may not "work" Rolling Eyes

Ok.. Ill repeat and educate this in a little better detail..

This information applies to "MOST BUT NOT ALL BEETLE SEDAN'S " as many older bodies carried over depending on factory location.

For the 1965 model year ALL the windows were enlarged...
The door "Wing windows" were angled as well during this change.
The door glass line matches the larger quarter window line..
The interior door panels were shortened to accommodate the larger glass.

So that narrows it down to 65 and newer doors.. right... Anxious
Nope...
Not.... quite..

For the 1967 model year, the door latch style changed from a "slider" latch to the safer "claw and pin" latch.. also the inside door handle was changed from the ice pick to the flip tab handle and door lock buttons were added.

That latch change means 67 and newer doors WILL NOT interchangeable with older slider latch bodies unless you change the latching to match..

So... .again... that means.. if the body is a 65 and 66 body with the larger glass and your body uses the slider latch...
ONLY the 1965 and 1966 doors will directly bolt on and WORK.. t

Now... for the record.. or off the record...
You CAN bolt 64 and older doors right on.. 1965 and 1966 bodies.. but it looks terrible.. as the side glass lines will be mismatched..

You also CAN convert the 65/65 door latch post to accept the 67 and newer "pin"... but it requires welding in a replacement section as the latch position changed as well.

Class dismissed...

Too bad you dont live here.. I have 2 perfect 65/66 pairs.. complete..

WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited

Last edited by VOLKSWAGNUT on Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:55 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
itskyle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 Beetle Doors Reply with quote

Trekker182 wrote:
I am restoring/rebuilding a 1966 Beetle which was someones unfinished project. We have most of the parts but the doors are missing. Can anyone tell me if doors from other years will fit and if so which years.

Thanks
Don

You might try 1966vwbeetle.com for fellow 66 buggers near your neck of the woods on your side of the pond.

I will take a stab in the dark, I seem to recall hearing that the USA 67 beetle didn't come to Europe or most of the rest of the world until after 68 or so.

So, a 67 euro door might fit. I think the thing to really look for would be the locking and latching mechanisms.

Good luck, Don!
74 SuperBeetle Auto Stick (I miss that car)
73 SquareBack, Straight Stick (Wife misses this one.)

Last edited by itskyle on Wed Aug 12, 2015 5:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Slow 1200
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nope, '67 euro doors are the same as '67 US ones
Trekker182
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:
Trekker182 wrote:
VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:

Technically... the door size and basic outer shape NEVER changed for the entire Beetle Sedan production timeline.. Think
So in essence... a 49 door will "fit" a 77..... and vice-versa.. may look like crap... will fit the slot.... but may not "work" Rolling Eyes

Ok.. Ill repeat and educate this in a little better detail..

This information applies to "MOST BUT NOT ALL BEETLE SEDAN'S " as many older bodies carried over depending on factory location.

For the 1965 model year ALL the windows were enlarged...
The door "Wing windows" were angled as well during this change.
The door glass line matches the larger quarter window line..
The interior door panels were shortened to accommodate the larger glass.

So that narrows it down to 65 and newer doors.. right... Anxious
Nope...
Not.... quite..

For the 1967 model year, the door latch style changed from a "slider" latch to the safer "claw and pin" latch.. also the inside door handle was changed from the ice pick to the flip tab handle and door lock buttons were added.

That latch change means 67 and newer doors WILL NOT interchangeable with older slider latch bodies unless you change the latching to match..

So... .again... that means.. if the body is a 65 and 66 body with the larger glass and your body uses the slider latch...
ONLY the 1965 and 1966 doors will directly bolt on and WORK.. t

Now... for the record.. or off the record...
You CAN bolt 64 and older doors right on.. 1965 and 1966 bodies.. but it looks terrible.. as the side glass lines will be mismatched..

You also CAN convert the 65/65 door latch post to accept the 67 and newer "pin"... but it requires welding in a replacement section as the latch position changed as well.

Class dismissed...

Too bad you dont live here.. I have 2 perfect 65/66 pairs.. complete..

Thanks to everyone for your replies to my question about 1966 doors, in particular Volkswagnut for the detailed and extremely informative lesson in Beetle door history. I thought I knew a lot about Vdubs but despite having several type 1s, a Splitty camper Van, a type 4 412LE estate two Golfs, a Jetta, My beloved Trekker (Thing) and the old 1966 VW but you guys leave me for dead.

Wolkswagnut, If you have any plans to move to the North East of Scotland in the near future, or if your planing a vacation over here can you bring your two 65/66 doors with you?

Thanks again guys

Don
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trekker182 wrote:

Volkswagnut, If you have any plans to move to the North East of Scotland in the near future, or if your planing a vacation over here can you bring your two 65/66 doors with you?

Don

You're welcome..

Im afraid to leave my own house most days.. Laughing

Wish I could help you with one of my clean pair.. .. Its actually hard to sell 2 year only doors around here.. ..... Mad
Usually and often edited
Trekker182
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:
Trekker182 wrote:

Volkswagnut, If you have any plans to move to the North East of Scotland in the near future, or if your planing a vacation over here can you bring your two 65/66 doors with you?

Don

You're welcome..

Wish I could help you with one of my clean pair.. .. Its actually hard to sell 2 year only doors around here.. ..... Mad

If I could find a way to get your two doors over here without breaking the bank I would.
Trekker182
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trekker182 wrote:
VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:
Trekker182 wrote:

Don

You're welcome..

If I could find a way to get your two doors over here without breaking the bank I would.

Would you consider selling your doors? if so I would probably buy them from you. I would have to find out the shipping cost to the UK but I am keen to buy both your doors, I take it your doors are a pair and not two of the same side.

Cheers
Don
Trekker182
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trekker182 wrote:
Trekker182 wrote:
VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:
Trekker182 wrote:

Just an update on my door situation. I managed to find out that there was a 66 Beetle being broken up for spares at a breakers yard down beside Edinburgh, and by the time I found out about it there was nothing left but the body and the doors. My wife and I headed off on a 250 mile round trip, with a selection of tools in the van, knowing that we had to remove the doors ourselves and that they probably hadn't been off the car in nearly 50 years. However with a big hammer, an impact driver and a bit of desperation we got both doors off, paid the 80 UK Pounds and headed back North with two 1966 doors in the back of the van. My wife questioned my idea of a "nice day out"

Don

You're welcome..

Would you consider selling your doors? if so I would probably buy them from you. I would have to find out the shipping cost to the UK but I am keen to buy both your doors, I take it your doors are a pair and not two of the same side.

Cheers
Don
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: