Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My '66 barn-find, with some mysterious parts
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
randallino
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:23 pm    Post subject: My '66 barn-find, with some mysterious parts Reply with quote

I'm trying to determine the order of operations here. This is a 1966, with what appears to be a 1960, 1200 engine in it.
In the barn, where I found her
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Engine compartment (pre-cleaning)

Cleaned up and in my driveway!

This thing sat for over 30 years. The wiring was eaten by critters, and the battery is long dead. I happen to have an alternator, stand, and coil from a 12 volt set-up in my old VW treasure box, and a 12v marine battery for a trolling motor. I also have32 PICT and a 34 PICT Solex that I've stored in plastic bags all these years. So...

Since the engine is not the o.g. 1300, I'm not committed to keeping it stock. What I'd like to do is get a battery, rebuild the carb, clean the tank and wire up just the starter and ignition system for a test run. But do I buy a 6v battery to test with, or install the 12v parts and battery and run it that way?

I know I need new points and condenser, too. I don't recall the distributor model, but it's got the biscuit on the side. I can check the model and update. I'm really eager to see if the motor is any count, so I'm looking for the simplest way to test it. I've also considered buying a 009 and matching it with the 32 or 34 PICT, whichever is appropriate. I'm not sure if I'll be keeping this engine or getting a rebuilt 1600+, so I don't want to buy parts I can't swap over. I'm about 10 days in, mostly cleaning and assessment but I appreciate any insight.
[/img]
rcroane Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome.....that first photo is awesome!
stale air
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grab the numbers off the motor, and you can look them up to find out exactly what year the motor is. It appears to be an early 40 horse and is for sure not out of a 60 as that would have made it a 36 horse. Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
grandpa pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome !
Read through build threads and learn from others mistakes .
Buy a Bently
Laminate a wireing diagram .
Read about a dual master cylinder upgrade .....

Good luck ; ask questions Smile

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569619&highlight=sedan+delivery
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just remember there is never a dumb question.
Do take your time and done correctly the first time.
This is probably the best air-cooled VW site.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
randallino
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the feedback! i'm pretty in love with that photo in the barn, too. I may have to frame that one.

The engine number is 5042648, which looks to be a 40hp 1200 from a '61. I'm curious if the 28 PICT carb and the distributor are stock for that year. I've read a lot that the distributor and the carb need to match, so I don't want to get a 009 unless I can use one of my spares (I have a 32 & a 34 somewhere).

I should note that the engine turns over by hand, and allegedly ran when parked.

After removing all rotten hoses & wires

Close-up of the distributor

Anoter close-up, this one of the innards
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That shroud looks to have been modified on the left outlet to make room for an A/C compressor. Poor li'l 40 horse!
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
That shroud looks to have been modified on the left outlet to make room for an A/C compressor. Poor li'l 40 horse!

^^^ Or a dusty conditions oversize oil bath air cleaner.

Before you go hog wild and start throwing away the top end of that motor- I implore you to learn a little about it. It looks more like a bastard 40 horse bus motor to me- with a later ('63 and up) fan shroud. Firstly, an "009" distributor has never benefitted a 40 horse engine. Over carbing has also never benefitted that lump. Research Bastard 40- and you may not want to do much with it.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stale air wrote:
Grab the numbers off the motor, and you can look them up to find out exactly what year the motor is. It appears to be an early 40 horse and is for sure not out of a 60 as that would have made it a 36 horse. Cool

May59 thru 1960 bus had 36 HP engine with separate generator stand used on later 40 HP engines...
stale air
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
stale air wrote:

May59 thru 1960 bus had 36 HP engine with separate generator stand used on later 40 HP engines...

Since the bastard 40 is a pretty rare motor, I didn't think to mention it. But your right, it very well could have been.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
randallino
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots to consider here.... thanks all!

I think I will rebuild the 28 carb, the distributor, and replace the points condenser, cap rotor & ignition wires. Then either get a used 6 volt battery, or swap my 12 v parts onto it and hook up the marine battery I already have.

I'm reluctant to install a complete harness when I still have pans to cut out and replace, so I figure I'll just rig up an ignition system and push button starter to find out if this motor runs.

That shroud does look rough, I have an un-mutilated one I can swap it for when I switch to the alternator.

I'll have to investigate this 'bastard bus' motor. I might be able to some info from the previous owner, but that's doubtful.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do keep in mind that if the wiring was eaten all up, that more than likely the mice built nice nest/s in the fan shroud. Which will block up the cooling to the heads and cylinders, so would not run it for more than a minute.

If it runs, it needs a full strip down to long block for a good cleaning and retorquing of all the engine case and then heads fasteners in same sequence as if building the engine.

As for the case ID number it looks like it might be a hand stamped (slightly crooked numbers) at a dealer replacement case.
grandpa pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are planning on replacing the fan shroud ; would it be a good idea to go with a doghouse unit ?

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569619&highlight=sedan+delivery
randallino
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: My '66 barn-find, with some mysterious parts Reply with quote

Well it's been a little over a year and about all I've done is pull the motor. I've also completed quite a few chores on my honeydew list, re-organized my shop to accommodate a bug for the foreseeable future and add a lot of lights so I can what I'm doing.

The motor mystery is solved, I think. I pulled it about 2 weeks ago and it turns easily by hand. I'm thinking of cleaning it up and putting it back in to see if it works.

Here's a pic of the number

randallino
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: My '66 barn-find, with some mysterious parts Reply with quote

You can see a small '78' stamped just above the P, and some odd marking after the number. sorry the pic is blurry

There is also a very faint stamp below gen stand that says Factory Rebuilt.
randallino
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: My '66 barn-find, with some mysterious parts Reply with quote

More images of the motor.

bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:

the fan house is not from a 60 bug as it is a fresh air type and it has been modifed like was done for an ac compressor I think the fresh air fan shroud started in 62, I know the 61 had stale air heater

hope she restores well for you

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bluebus86 wrote:
KTPhil wrote:

the fan house is not from a 60 bug as it is a fresh air type and it has been modifed like was done for an ac compressor I think the fresh air fan shroud started in 62, I know the 61 had stale air heater

The fresh air shroud was introduced for the '64 model year.

The modified air outlet is indeed for a dealer installed air conditioning system.

My '65 was purchased new by my grandfather and he had the dealer install air conditioning.

You know, a lot of these scratches will buff right out... Jerry Seinfeld
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

splitjunkie wrote:

Actually DEC62.

bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

splitjunkie wrote:
bluebus86 wrote:
KTPhil wrote:

The modified air outlet is indeed for a dealer installed air conditioning system.

My '65 was purchased new by my grandfather and he had the dealer install air conditioning.

Golly I could have written your above post.... my granddad bought a brand new 65 bug back in the day and he had the dealer ac option too, I have that car now!!!!! I guess we both had pretty wise grand dads!!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: