Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

monumental stupidity or plain raw insanity?
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  

Monumental stupidity or plain raw insanity?
Stupidity?
66%
 66%  [ 4 ]
Insanity?
33%
 33%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 6

my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:29 pm    Post subject: monumental stupidity or plain raw insanity? Reply with quote

I have been repairing my son's POS mg midget. New head gasket and thrust bearings. It needs a fuel pump, Stromberg with all the choke parts, and an exhaust from the manifold on back. The intention is to get it out of my barn and for him to sell it down the road.
The hunt for used bits led me to a completely disassembled to the tub basket case midget in a guys garage less than 20 miles away. In a moment of insanity I bought the whole thing. WTF was I thinking?
Lost in Space
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Musta been thinking you didnt have enough pain, agony and frustration to make you waste a years time allready !!!

A early steel bumper MGB........maybe.......but a Midget ?? Rolling Eyes

I used to do Triumph Spitfires and TR6's...............we allways passed up Midgets due to their horrible ergonomics and poor value.

Sure, they are old and "Collectable" now........but better to cut your losses and move on to better and more profitable cars to spend your time on.
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Such a fine line between the two options.......
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
OB Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My former room mate had a Midget. He loved it. At least once a month that car was in the shop. Each time in the shop cost him $200+ to get it running. I suggested that he could buy a new car and the payments would be less than what he was spending on repairs to the MG. (This was 1980.) He insisted that keeping the MG was cheaper.
I go camping one weekend and when I return there is a brand new Celica in his parking place. He admitted that he finally looked over his credit card bills and faced up to the cost of keeping the MG. He went to the Toyota dealer, traded in the MG and drove home in the Celica.
After the deal was done the lot guy at the dealer went to move the MG to the back lot. It would not start.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jon Schmid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:50 pm    Post subject: monumental stupidity or plain raw insanity? Reply with quote

MG = Mostly Garbage.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh I love those cars!!!!! I ran a forine ( thers one I cant remember hot to spell right) car shop right out of highschool/tech school.(mostly europeen cars,alfas,layland,jags,lotus etc.) oh what fun they are. I think I still have a hand book repair manul for one somewhere. I dont remember if it's a migit or mg. the A's were neet too. dam that was long ago.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: