Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Clutch 1500-1600
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
joeypregont
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:32 pm    Post subject: Clutch 1500-1600 Reply with quote

Going from my 1500sp to 1600dp can i use the same clutch plate and stuff? Back of my 1600 is bare no internals
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes you can
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick amd dirty way to check thickness slip a 8mm open end wrench to measure thickness if its at or near 8mm its real good condition. You can clean an oil soaked clutch with lacquer thinner but it would be better to change the leaking rear main seal
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch 1500-1600 Reply with quote

joeypregont wrote:
Going from my 1500sp to 1600dp can i use the same clutch plate and stuff?

Yes, exactly the same.

joeypregont wrote:
Back of my 1600 is bare no internals

You mean you have no pressure plate or disc? Well, the size is 200mm, but you need to match the pressure plate type to the year of the transmission. Like 1970 and older use a PP with a center ring, and 1971 and later have no center ring on PP. Disc would be the same.

Since you posted in 1967 and older, I'll assume older transmission, and if it never had a 200mm system installed before, some of the transmission housing will need to be ground out for clearance, and starter should be 12 volt type.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
joeypregont
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I appreciate the responses, and yes 65 tranny that the 1500 came out of. And 1600 came off of a 66. So i guess now my question is what are the steps to swap it from my 1500 to 1600.. Any special precautions i need to take or just go for it? Ive got a tendancy of getting over zealous and fucking shit up :p
polarisboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heck even if that main seal is not leaking, while you got the engine out change it ! its cheap insurance for something that takes so much effort to get to....If y engine is out, it gets changed no matter what...
Aussiebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re the clutch plate - just look at the throwout bearing (or the throwout arm if there is no bearing there). The older style of 200mm (1300/1500/1600sp) throwout bearing has round ears and very simple horseshoe clips holding it in place. The 200mm clutch plate for this has a metal ring in the middle of the fingers.

If the throwout bearing (and throwout arm) has flat ears with more complicated wire clips and a projecting centering collar, then the clutch plate must have bare metal fingers.

The two clutch plates (200mm) are identical apart from the metal ring (or absence of...) in the middle.
http://www.vw-resource.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: