Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Oil leaks from filler tube
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
hime
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:34 pm    Post subject: Oil leaks from filler tube Reply with quote

My first post. New stock 40HP with big bore.
Why do I see drops on the floor from the tube the sticks down from oil fill tube. 2.5 Quarts of Castrol 30W. Builder says Blowbuy?
TinCanFab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Show us a pic of the engine. It's pretty normal for early engines to drip there, like a drop here and there, not a constant drip. Some oil fill stands have a hose nipple, some don't. IIRC, later engines have a nipple by the filler cap and a rubber boot with a split in the middle. Others have no nipple and no boot. Look up the term "road draft tube". The vacuum under the rngine as you drive draws oil vapor out of that tube and it just drips wherever. Later VW tried to draw some of that vapor back into the carb to be re burned.

Does your 40hp have the baffle installed under the generator stand? There's a late style with a metal gasket and louvers. It's in any common engine gasket kit. The early baffle is a tubular looking thing with a cap on top and a slot running down the side. These are hard to find. If you use the gasket type, make sure the louvers are placed in the right position, that's what keeps liquid oil from pooling up excessively in the generator stand. If you take the stand off and it has a small round hole in the top of the case, I think it came with the tube type. If your case opening has a large "D" shaped hole you can use the late style gasket.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Mine was SO caked with gunk, you couldn't see that it was stuck in my stand. I put in alternator stand on my 40 and the tube baffle would not fit, it was too long. I took a few inches out of the middle and welded the cap back on top. Most of the time, people just threw them out.

They're never really ever finished 58 rag build...
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=658092
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hime
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that's a Baffle! Thank you for post photos and help. I don't seem to be able to post photos. I can see the tin louvered plate down the spout. So at least the builder put it in. When my Engine man said "blowby" I thought of old american motors that had as much blowby as they did exhaust. So if the new rings haven't seated yet I suppose there could be some. However this was the third time he has had to open it up to get it to seal at the case. Not to mention it seized up the first time and lost oil psi at 60 mph. Its sealed now, but doesn't sound right still. Have about 200 miles on the newest rings and don't trust it. It will either last a while or blow up. The first two "rebuilds" he did had no leaks from the tube, but several at the case. And it took two transmissions from a respected calif. builder to get one that worked. Oh well. Maybe I should shove a tampon up the tube and change it when its full!
hime
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Checked all my VW books and don't find any pictures or mention of the baffle or its proper position. SO,, if any one can tell me or show me its direction I would greatly appreciate it. thanks all. dave
Bajaman65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I scanned this from a repair manual several years ago.
hime
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a help you are, mine is installed 90 degrees CC from your photo. Now that I know I will change it. Will post the results in a few days. thanks again. dave
Dr OnHolliday
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the horizontal orientation of the "slits" is not the point of that photo - it is that the louvers point down not up...
1965 Type 1 sunroof Baja / about 70k miles on self-rebuilt '74 1600 and counting / SP heads and aftermarket valve keepers / non-doghouse shroud with external cooler and filter / 1.5 qt extended sump / Weber 32/36 DFAV progressive carb / 009 dist with Pertronix / 1.25 ratio rockers and ball adjusters / 1.5" stainless steel J-pipes and carbon steel baja exhaust
hime
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine has the splits pointing down alright, but with the slits "sideways" it looks like there is a thin gap right up the spout. I can see clear thru to the case. If I can see thru I think oil can still slosh up. Im still going to change it to how its in your photo. Then will post if it still drips. thanks. dave
jbbugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The baffle plate is placed in the position shown above to deflect the oil that's being slung off the cam gears. If you have it sideways, it can't do its job.

69 OG paint Transporter
73' Super Beetle Champcar Endurance Roadracer
Patina my ass, that's a Rust Bucket!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: