Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Blinker buttons 98% done!
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
daanbc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:38 pm    Post subject: Blinker buttons 98% done! Reply with quote

From my recent posts "Is a resistor needed, and how to wire" I finally received the resistors and soldered everything together. I like the way it came out! Much better then the stalk I kept hitting with my big feet. The electronic signal cancelation device is great! No sound and it has different settings. Press the button once for a second and the flasher signals for 7 sec. Hold the button 3-sec, and the signal flashes 15 sec. Hold it a little longer, and it will flash 25 sec. Hold both buttons at the same time, and you have hazards! Here are some pics. I have the resisters in the red power line heat shrink wrapped. I used a wood 3/4 inch drill for the holes. I have a horn button coming next week, that has a blue LED also that has a symbol of a horn lighted up in it.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

GoMopar440
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking good so far. I don't envy your clean up job after drilling that FG dash though.

That's a shiney looking E-brake button you got there... Wink
Homemade rail for street & off road: BJ front beam (bent), IRS rear (boxed/maybe bent), stock T1 DP 1600, 009, 34PICT-3 (soon to be dual 40HPMXs), 4-1 glass pack exh, T3 brakes (F disk, R drum & Dual MC), Bug trans (002, 5 rib going in soon).
Link to my rail (re)build thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=629493

Last edited by GoMopar440 on Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
daanbc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Hardest part of this project was getting the nut back on the back of the switch. With the tip of my finger missing and it being real sore, it was a real pain. Would you believe "someone" made that E-Brake button for me? LOL. I'm going to try to get to the local junkyards tomorrow if the weather holds, and look for a shift boot or something to fit over the E-Brake. I don't like the rubber cover thats there.
TSFR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you have those blinking with the lights too right?

Thanks,
Jeff

Manxter 2+2 #160
daanbc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TSFR wrote:
you have those blinking with the lights too right?

No, I was thinking of that. But am unsure if it can be done. There was only two ways to hook them up. One - with the LED's always on. and Two- they only light when the switch is on. BUT since they are momentary switches, I figured they would stay lite only when pushed in.
TSFR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same switch for my hazard lights and it can be done. I want to say that the power goes through the switch to the flasher relay and then the power that goes to the lights jumps off to light the switch as the lights flash.

Thanks,
Jeff

Manxter 2+2 #160
daanbc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TSFR wrote:
I have the same switch for my hazard lights and it can be done. I want to say that the power goes through the switch to the flasher relay and then the power that goes to the lights jumps off to light the switch as the lights flash.

I don't have a relay. I have the signal cancelation device. But I'm going to check on it, to see if it can be done. Thanks. Which wiring diagram did you use? The first = lights only on when switch is on, OR second = lights always on.?
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

daanbc wrote:
TSFR wrote:

I don't have a relay. I have the signal cancelation device. But I'm going to check on it, to see if it can be done. Thanks. Which wiring diagram did you use? The first = lights only on when switch is on, OR second = lights always on.?

The light LED in switch is a independent function, you can leave them off, turn them on with dash lights power or have them blink with turn signals.... It all about how you choose to power (or ground) them....

Having them come on with dash lights seems most practical (so you can find them in the dark) have them blink with turn signal becomes a little more complex because if turned on by dash light switch, you have to have a way to turn them off (interrupts power or ground) when signals are flashing... This means probable adding small relay or transistor into circuit to control them...

But for each feature wiring becomes more complex...

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
daanbc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dale M. wrote:
daanbc wrote:
TSFR wrote:

The light LED in switch is a independent function, you can leave them off, turn them on with dash lights power or have them blink with turn signals.... It all about how you choose to power (or ground) them....

Having them come on with dash lights seems most practical (so you can find them in the dark) have them blink with turn signal becomes a little more complex because if turned on by dash light switch, you have to have a way to turn them off (interrupts power or ground) when signals are flashing... This means probable adding small relay or transistor into circuit to control them...

But for each feature wiring becomes more complex...

Dale

Thank you dale. Yes I have them hooked up when the key is on. I did not wire them into the headlight switch. I really don't want to add a relay. I'm not an electrician, and my abilities are not as good as some. I figured if I really didn't like the lights on during the day, I could always add a on/off switch under dash just to the LED lights, this would still allow the function of the blinkers.
daanbc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally got the tags put on. They have been sitting on the bench for weeks. These were the originals from the beetle of the frame.

jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't need wipers in FL to register a car?
AMAC1680
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jspbtown wrote:
You don't need wipers in FL to register a car?

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/Statutes/index.cfm?App_....2952.html

Yes they need wipers. Many buggys just use "blanks", for show only.
The requirement is asinine as they don't require a roof. Therefor if it were for safety they would require wipers on BOTH sides of the windshield, lol.

It could be argued that a squeegee would meet the definition.....

Fact is down here you would need to be caught for something else. They don't look at the car when it's registered and we have no required inspection.

God I love it here.

Be Big,
AMAC
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
daanbc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I get caught in rain, I'll just use my hand and a squeegee. LOL. Really I have a lot of rain x on it. It just beads up and rolls off.
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So they cannot pull you over for having a car like daanbc (ie: no wiper arms at all)? Only if speeding or some other offense?
AMAC1680
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jspbtown wrote:
So they cannot pull you over for having a car like daanbc (ie: no wiper arms at all)? Only if speeding or some other offense?

Oh they can and depending on what part of Florida they will. If you run antique plates you beg to get pulled over in many areas as they have become aware of the regs tied to theses plates.

That buggy is more likely to be pulled over for lack of a rear bumper. That's something even a novice cop will notice.

In most parts of "Old Florida" the cops never look twice.
I would put the arms on unless you're will to try the squeegee defense.

Of course if the car is a show piece or trailer queen it doesn't matter. I drive mine every day past the same cops so I prefer to be legal, although my currant ride needs the bumper put back on.

AMAC
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
daanbc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can always get the "old fashion" kind, the one used by hand. Like on the old fords.
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's so interesting. They don't prevent you from getting on the road with a car that's "illegal" but they ticket you once you are there.

Up here in Mass we have annual inspections.
daanbc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are no inspections here. When there was if your car was over 25 years it was excempt. Also doesn't hurt if you work/ or know law enforcement.

Last edited by daanbc on Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
AMAC1680
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jspbtown wrote:
That's so interesting. They don't prevent you from getting on the road with a car that's "illegal" but they ticket you once you are there.

When you sign for the registration you are making a legal statement that the ride meets state regulations. So they can get you later. Guess it's the last of "personal responsibility".

I lived in NJ for years and the inspections were just more government interference. Proved almost no point I beat that system more times then I could count.

On another note.
Knowing law enforcement may work in ones own backyard but it's bullshit and I wouldn't publicly admit to that behavior.

AMAC
daanbc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AMAC1680 wrote:
jspbtown wrote:

When you sign for the registration you are making a legal statement that the ride meets state regulations. So they can get you later. Guess it's the last of "personal responsibility".

I lived in NJ for years and the inspections were just more government interference. Proved almost no point I beat that system more times then I could count.

On another note.
Knowing law enforcement may work in ones own backyard but it's bullshit and I wouldn't publicly admit to that behavior.

AMAC

???
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: