Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How much space on the parcel trays?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ballsie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:27 pm    Post subject: How much space on the parcel trays? Reply with quote

Im looking at some bluetooth speakers for my 6 volt sedan and i plan to pick up a parcel tray for it to sit on. The speaker i like is 13.5" x 7.5" x 7.5"

Im wondering if it will fit on a parcel tray. Does anyone with a tray know? Or can someone run out to their car and measure how much space i will have to work with?

Thanks!
grandpa pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

5 inches high and 6 inches deep on the ends ; I got wet in the rain Crying or Very sad

When you put the flat shelf in you end up with a wedge shaped area to work with

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569619&highlight=sedan+delivery
ballsie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for doing that! Now i just hope that i dont win that ebay auction. Shoulda asked before impulse bidding!
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Imade my own parcel tray. So simple to do, here are a few photos.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=324338
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=324335
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=549366
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=549368
Feel free to aske any questions.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
ballsie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks great, I dont plan to do a bunch of customizing. Gonna keep it simple. Just need a portable wireless speaker I can take in and out.

Does anyone have any suggestions on a good loud portable bluetooth speaker that will fit in a parcel tray and fill the car with audio?
offshores
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently bought a Logic Wireless Boombox for my bus. It fits in a pretty tight area under my dash and is loud enough. Bought it on ebay for $110.

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-984-000181-Bluetooth-Wireless-Speaker/dp/B005KQ2O26
panicman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I splurged and bought a Bose Soundlink III. I have an original Kamei parcel shelf, and it wedges in nicely.

The speaker does have remarkable sound and goes pretty loud. The under dash cavity helps project the sound. 14 hours of battery life, too.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

ballsie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting, tha ks for the feedback! Ive been thinking about the Soundlink since the Marshall Stanmore is too big. It fills the cabin with audio nicely? Its loud enough to hear it at highway sppeds with the windows down?
grandpa pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had speakers under the front seats in a convertible .

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569619&highlight=sedan+delivery
itskyle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

offshores wrote:
I recently bought a Logic Wireless Boombox for my bus. It fits in a pretty tight area under my dash and is loud enough. Bought it on ebay for $110.

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-984-000181-Bluetooth-Wireless-Speaker/dp/B005KQ2O26

This is the other option most people don't talk about. There are a plethora of bluetooth speakers out there, my place of business deals with one that is small enough to be a keyring.

Heck, just this week, I picked up a solar powered one from Aldi's, of all places, that would just sit on the dash.

If you're going for modern streaming of music from cell phone, this may be a better option for you.

The down side of this, if you are a real audiophile snob type, you wouldn't experience the unbelievable sound quality of a pure stereo system with multiple speakers ideally placed throughout the car.

Good luck with whatever you end up doing!
74 SuperBeetle Auto Stick (I miss that car)
73 SquareBack, Straight Stick (Wife misses this one.)
panicman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ballsie wrote:
Interesting, tha ks for the feedback! Ive been thinking about the Soundlink since the Marshall Stanmore is too big. It fills the cabin with audio nicely? Its loud enough to hear it at highway sppeds with the windows down?

Yes, still has good sound and is loud enough for cruising around town and on the highway with windows down.

As itskyle said, you can't expect to get quality sound out of a single speaker, no matter how good.

My goal with the car was to retain as much of the old-car, stock experience as possible. My original plan involved using the Sapphire I (as seen in the dash) attached to a dual VC retro sound speaker (which is mounted in the factory location behind the dash grill) and a 6v RediRad (which I stealthily wired in) for streaming audio through the Sapphire. All of this worked great.... Until the car was driving. There is a circuit in the radio that keeps the current flow uniform during driving, and it need to get it fixed. Until I fix that, my interim measure was the Bose, which I also use in the backyard or on vacation for portable sound.

If I wanted good sound for everyday driving, I would look at a stealth 6v install using suitcase and pillow speakers for the back, and hidden speakers forward. I might also add additional sound deadening.
planenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:34 pm    Post subject: Parcel Tray Reply with quote

I hope I'm not upsetting anyone with this question. While we're on the subject, I thought of Bluetooth speakers. I also found out that Bluetooth is only 'in' on the Bluetooth radios. Bluetooth speakers are awesome, but does anyone know how to get Bluetooth 'out' of the radio, so I can listen to CD's and other radio stations?
panicman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Planenut, I don't think I quite understand the question.

The Bluetooth speakers receive a Bluetooth signal from a Bluetooth enabled device. You link the device to the speaker, (in my case an iPhone linked to the Soundlink speaker), and then play whatever content is on your phone over your speaker. You can get a free radio app and listen to just about any station you could think of, including police band. Also, you can get Spotify or something similar and find almost any music to listen to that way.

The Soundlink speaker also has in input for a standard mini jack, so you could plug in a portable CD player or small radio, as long as it has a mini jack output. Other speakers may have this input as well.

I think there are a number of good portable Bluetooth speakers out there, I just happen to have bought the Soundlink, so that's the one I am familiar with.
planenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 4:58 am    Post subject: Parcel Tray Reply with quote

The mini jack on radios is only for input. I've tried apps for radios on my phone, and they are really iffy. Sometimes work, sometimes don't. If I could get a Bluetooth adapter for audio out on the radio, I think Bluetooth would be the way to go. I'd just like to have everything in one radio so I don't have to plug in something different all the time. A Bluetooth 'out' radio would be great, they just don't make them, yet. Thanks for the information. Bluetooth speaker on parcel tray is perfect, though.
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

planenut wrote:
but does anyone know how to get Bluetooth 'out' of the radio, so I can listen to CD's and other radio stations?

Bluetooth transmitters for older systems have been available for quite some time...
...... just need to adapt radio speaker output to the proper transmitter input ... no big deal..

http://www.amazon.com/Portable-Stereo-wireless-Blu...ransmitter

http://www.amazon.com/2-In-1-Bluetooth-Streaming-Receiver-Transmitter/dp/B00A6F31EQ

Take your pick..

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_0_15?url=se...bile%2C180
Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
planenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:45 pm    Post subject: Parcel Tray Reply with quote

Very cool, that's what I want. I asked in several box stores, and even an auto sound store, and no one mentioned these. Thanks, I think this is it! Bluetooth speaker can even be outside for cruise ins!
grandpa pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

" The old guy doesn't get it "
What are you trying to do ?.....Is the purpose of " Bluetooth " so that you don't have to run wires to the speakers ; or is there some other advantage . You have to run 12 volts anyway ?????

VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

grandpa pete wrote:
" The old guy doesn't get it "

Some of those Bluetooth speakers are fully portable and have an internal rechargeable battery.

Dont feel bad.. GP.. I dont like new gadgets... but some are pretty neat I must admit...

VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:
"Progress peaked with frozen pizza".. John McClane.. (Die Hard 2)

I just dont get the need some have to must own the latest electronic toy..

Bluetooth advantage.. no wires and it will pretty much connect anything that is capable to each other like magic...

Disadvantage.. some receivers (and transmitters) have a narrow and limited range.. .. and the magic of no wires.. can have a delay and or interference...
The interference and drop outs are the part that I hate about BT the most..

Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
planenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:56 am    Post subject: Parcel Tray Speakers Reply with quote

I'm not against technology. I knew I wanted Bluetooth which is why I visited several electronic and radio places. None of them mentioned the remedy Volkswagnut mentioned. With that adapter on my radio output, I'll have everything I want. Thanks for the help Volkswagnut!
grandpa pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OH ! GREAT!! now at shows these kids can take the speakers out and put them on top of their cars and i'll have to listen to that "BONKA BONKA " music all day !!!

HHHMMMMM !

So where do I get one of those things that interfere with the signal ?.. Twisted Evil ... A BIG ONE !!!!

Thankyou Ken Smile

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: