Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fan shroud advice
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
stephenvw1776
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:29 pm    Post subject: Fan shroud advice Reply with quote

What fan shroud would the samba community recommend for a setup using a remote oil cooler only?

The engine will be open either a sand rail or Baja bug.
Dr OnHolliday
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

....signature line...
1965 Type 1 sunroof Baja / about 70k miles on self-rebuilt '74 1600 and counting / SP heads and aftermarket valve keepers / non-doghouse shroud with external cooler and filter / 1.5 qt extended sump / Weber 32/36 DFAV progressive carb / 009 dist with Pertronix / 1.25 ratio rockers and ball adjusters / 1.5" stainless steel J-pipes and carbon steel baja exhaust
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:26 am    Post subject: Re: Fan shroud advice Reply with quote

stephenvw1776 wrote:
What fan shroud would the samba community recommend for a setup using a remote oil cooler only?

I personally always recommend that people use the doghouse shroud and cooler, even with external coolers but that is just my opinion. I know people successfully use non doghouse shrouds as well.

https://www.facebook.com/mofoco?ref=ts&fref=ts

www.mofoco.com

Cylinder Head Reference Sheet
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
theKbStockpiler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are type IV conversions where the builder uses a non dog-house factory shroud but fabricates a box for the cooler and gets air flow to it from a fan shroud heat exchanger outlet
rockerarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WELCOME.
Growing up in this game at local VW dealers where many of us had sand rails and such, it was common knowledge that it took years to get a few thousand miles on a sand rail engine. That said, you can possibly get away with parts that a street engine would not be desirable. I am thinking of the 70 and earlier shroud with the steel cooler and add a full flow to your case. Then if needed you could plumb an additional cooler to the full flow circuit. Many people like the Scat 36hp style shroud using the dog house cooler. Being a buggy guy many of these items can be sourced cheap around SoCal.
Hope this helps, Bill.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

36 doggy style Wink
stephenvw1776
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the replies!

What about the "ram flow" air shrouds? I saw them in a CB Performance catalog years ago and they are used with an external oil cooler only. Any experience with those?

I'll put the signature soon Wink
stephenvw1776
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now I have a siggy.
Sand Rail
-1835, 8.5:1 CR, w100 cam, dual Dellorto FRD 34 carbs
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take a doghouse shroud and remove the doghouse, patch the hole. Now you have a no-cooler shroud. Run a 1500 size cooling fan for a little more power to the wheels, don't need as much volume if there is no cooler or heater.
Don't want to butcher a stock shroud get a scat one. They are almost as good. They could make the shroud with no doghouse, but they don't.

The slant top looking shroud they forget the vanes inside, so it doesn't cool the left side of the engine very well, they are for show not go.
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Fan shroud advice Reply with quote

stephenvw1776 wrote:

stock fan houses are near always better than aftermarket ones. better welds, stampings and fit, and most lack the factory internal vanes so critically placed to get the cold air to the hottest spots.

Avoid the poor fit and performance of aftermarket parts.

as far as the best factory shroud, that would be the late fuel injected smog controlled Bug shrouds, as that style actually sent a greater portion of air to the heads than the oil cooler (the last Bug had to meet smog standards that caused the heads to run much hotter) VW sacrificed oil cooling air for head cooling air on these last (maybe about 76 and later??) shrouds AND these shrouds came equipped with the venture ring on the inlet!

These are the best Dog House shrouds if you are using an external cooler and keep the stock cooler in the shroud. The external cooler makes up for any loss in oil cooling from the stock cooler with reduced air flow.
This way you do the best for the heads.

You could I suppose block the stock cooler so that all the air is used on the heads (and cylinders too), but there is a possibility that doing so might upset the air flow balance between the heads so that one side might run hotter than the other. I also figured I wanted to retain the stock oil cooler so I would not be 100% dependent on an electric fan for my oil cooling in my kit car.

So look for the later smog control bug fan house, it will have the venturi ring, but note that venture rings are being sold to install on fan shrouds, so it could be an add on ring, not stock. (the rings are a great idea to add to any fan house that lacks one)

good luck, stay cool!!!! Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: