Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Loose, but very stuck crankshaft pulley
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:26 pm    Post subject: Loose, but very stuck crankshaft pulley Reply with quote

I took the car for a several hundred mile shakedown cruise on the 4th of July, and had a blast. Having recently fitted a front whiteline sway bar, and rear 944 porsche bar, and adjustable GAZ rear shocks it was the first trip where I really got to drive it hard. I stopped a few times along the way to adjust the shock settings and check the car over. All in all, it was great, until the ride home. I started to get an occasional buzz/ rattle that wasn't at any specific speed or engine rpm. Must've stopped 20 times, and eventually pulled the rear lid off so I didn't have to keep opening and closing it. And finally I saw it. The pulley is loose.

Link

The berg bolt with the two big belville washers was in w loctite, and it wasn't bottomed out in the bore. When I assembled it, the pulley was a snug fit, or I think it was. It seems that it must've had just enough play to slam back and forth against the key, and distort something. I'm really praying that it's not beaten up the keyway in the crank, but right now I can't even get the pulley off to evaluate what the damage is.
First generation puller
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

put in a good effort but failed

Take 2

But also failed, started to twist the 1/2" bolt. You can see it's only pulled about 3/16"

So, where to go from here?
I can make a hydraulic puller, but I'm worried that it's stuck well enough that I could cause further damage to the crankshaft that way. Something like this

Or, I thought that maybe I could carefully drill the pulley, just on each side of, and above the keyway. This might relieve the "lock" that's happened, and then a puller would work. Pulling the engine and splitting the case is the last option for obvious reasons.
This really kills me, it's the only Empi part on the car. Berg was backordered on their pulley, and I thought that it's just a dumb pulley, surely it would be pretty hard to screw up, right? Has anyone run into this, what did you do? What not to do? Help?
Thanks. SD
jfats808
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seth,
Hard luck man. I wonder if the key broke in two that way you have motion both ways till it binds? Either way its gotta come off. Im hoping you can get it out without tearing up the key way..... keep us posted on what you err... decide to use to take it off.

Can you slip your phone in the betweens and video the keyway as you jog the pulley?

Rockstar Suzuki wrote:

You might as well put 10 year build in your bullshit sig, as it will NEVER run. Also your a dick

You can always learn something new, even from a fool.
Check your oil levels routinely!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rs58rag
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have stock style pulley puller where claws clamp around pulley? If so, clamp it on in opposite direction you have now, spray penetrting oil front and back of pulley opening. As you tighten puller, smack pulley all around with a plastic dead blow hammer. Also, can use two thin prybars behind pulley and wiggle out ..carefully!......Hopefully the dead blow method works.
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rs58rag wrote:
Do you have stock style pulley puller where claws clamp around pulley? If so, clamp it on in opposite direction you have now, spray penetrting oil front and back of pulley opening. As you tighten puller, smack pulley all around with a plastic dead blow hammer. Also, can use two thin prybars behind pulley and wiggle out ..carefully!......Hopefully the dead blow method works.

You know, I'm not a fan of jaw style pullers for stuff that's stuck as hard as this is. It moved ok until it stopped and it hasn't budged at all since it stopped. I've been meaning to make the apron removable for next time the motor comes out, so that's step one. I'll at least have a straight shot at the keyway with a sharp bit.

Maybe a hardened fine thread bolt for my puller?

This is well beyond the realm of wiggling and pry bars.
gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have the pulley threads somehow picked up material from the case ?
'87 Syncro GL 2.5
https://guardtransaxle.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gears wrote:
Have the pulley threads somehow picked up material from the case ?

Not that I can tell. The whole stuck mess rotates freely in the case.
platatomi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drop by Harbor Freight and get a three-size two-jaw puller kit. You can mix and match parts from the three sizes to get the thing to fit the pulley without dropping the engine, and it should pull it right off. Depending on the exhaust setup you have, you may need to pull the header or muffler to get clearance to put a wrench on the puller though.

Update -

No longer daily driver but still fixing things...
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry about that.

I think you will have to replace the crank.
The ghost of berg that lives in the pulley hates cast cranks, and they got in a fight. It's not the first time.
Look at the bright side you didn't lose the flywheel.

Have DPR make a stroker with porsche width rods! From STEEL

OR

Weld the pulley onto the crank and keep going until the new one is ready. Weld, install bolt, weld bolt. Not joking, I would do it!!!!!
Boolean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would pound it back again, twist it sideways and try to find another path for it.
Failing that, go with Modoks advice.
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

modok wrote:
Sorry about that.

I think you will have to replace the crank.
The ghost of berg that lives in the pulley hates cast cranks, and they got in a fight. It's not the first time.
Look at the bright side you didn't lose the flywheel.

Have DPR make a stroker with porsche width rods! From STEEL

OR

Weld the pulley onto the crank and keep going until the new one is ready. Weld, install bolt, weld bolt. Not joking, I would do it!!!!!

I recall that the crank had a really nice ring to it, so I am reasonably sure that it isn't cast. Welding the pulley on really would be a solution, but is a death sentence for that crank as far as future rebuilds go. But it might be done anyway.. bah. Some reading here last night turned up mention of poor quality keys that had broken. We'll see
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sort in though process of jammed key.... I would drill pulley with 1/4 or larger drill just so edge of hole intersects with key way and try again... No matter what you do, the pulley will be toast so nothing to loose...

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pull the engine take it appart and cut that peice of junk off the crank. I seem to remember somebody saying they wont run those and nobody should.they will do what it did or break crank.........or was that internet hype? if you try to pull it you will effup the crank.
gprudenciop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

die grinder with a cut off disc!!!
rs58rag
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then its time to butcher that pulley....
Dr OnHolliday
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hacksaw, die grinder and careful chisel work.
1965 Type 1 sunroof Baja / about 70k miles on self-rebuilt '74 1600 and counting / SP heads and aftermarket valve keepers / non-doghouse shroud with external cooler and filter / 1.5 qt extended sump / Weber 32/36 DFAV progressive carb / 009 dist with Pertronix / 1.25 ratio rockers and ball adjusters / 1.5" stainless steel J-pipes and carbon steel baja exhaust
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use a cut off wheel and cut all the way around the pulley about 1-2 inches from the crank. Once the outside comes off, then you can cut rest off. That's how I did it.

https://www.facebook.com/mofoco?ref=ts&fref=ts

www.mofoco.com

Cylinder Head Reference Sheet
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would use a plumbing torch with mapp gas (usually next to the propane at your hardware store). with your puller connected and ready to pull, Heat up the pulley close to the center so that you expand it enough and then crank down your puller. Add enough heat and anything will come loose.

Jeff
[email protected] MPH 1/4 Mile & 8.1 @ 83.7MPH in 1/8 Mile with Mild Type 1 VW Mag Case 2234cc commuter engine in stock weight bug w/only .491 total lift(CB2292 Cam), 42x37 heads, 48idf's, Street tires, Belt on, Mufflers, Pump gas, video of the run here: https://youtu.be/M3SPqMOKAOg

Transmission by MCMScott:
Rhino case, Klinkenberg 4.12, Superdiff, 002 mainshaft with 091 first idler. Weddle 1.48 Third & 1.14 Fourth.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Chip Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen Berg pulleys weld themselves to cranks after flywheels have come loose. Might be time to pull that engine and verify that is not the root cause of your problem. Your crank might already be junk on the other side. Sorry for the disappointing post, but I have seen this or similar twice. Aluminum pulleys crack, steel ones weld themselves to the crank.
theKbStockpiler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make a wiggle bar that you can bolt to the pulley to try to change it's orientation with the crank. 2 feet long,and eqaually extending past each side of the pulley. Use inertia and smack one of the ends with a dead blow. Next try a little heat. Just get it a little past warm.

Make sure you don't damage the cranks threads with the bolt of the puller inserting it'self into it. If you can't make a decent puller out of a36 steel, buy a cheap puller and modify it.
Brian71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heat up the outer rim of the pulley with an oxyacetylene rose bud(or map gas torch as an alternative.). The bore of the pulley will grow towards the heat. Apply this in conjunction with the use of your puller. Just be sure you don't allow enough time for the crank to heat up and grow along with the pulley. This should loosen the pulley bore anywhere from .003" to .005" if done properly.. which may or may not help depending how badly that pulley is galled on the crank. If that doesn't work, its time to cut that sucker off.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: