Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Original 4 Seat Empi Sportster
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
t-wire
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 5:06 pm    Post subject: Original 4 Seat Empi Sportster Reply with quote

I have an Original 4 seat Empi Sportster, it's in very bad condition but trying to restore it. I know it's an original because it has the Sportster Emblem made in Riverside. I need to find out any information, locations, measurements or blue prints of some Empi Sportsters out there. I know Iv'e seen some on here. Also if anyone out there has one here in California, I'd love to see it!!

Please get back to me about any information anyone might have on these cars!!

Thanks!
T-Wire
anthracitedub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried the kit car/fiberglass buggie section? If you search empi sportster in that section, I think you'll be pleased.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
t-wire
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks my friend......The location produced a lot of responses (old and new) on the Empi Sportster.......Great place to start.....Thanks again for the help. T-wire
sandhopper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:18 am    Post subject: sportster Reply with quote

I have the plans for the 2 seat version , I think most parts were the same
Love to see some pictures of what you have , would you consider selling ? or trading for 2 seat project
Larry
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So this is the plate on it? I asked Darrell Vittone and he confirmed, Land Sea Air Inc, was owned by EMPI

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The 4 seater had its own windshield frame and top. I think they were made to be used at resort hotels. This thread shows several http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=477740[/img]

DannyZ wrote:
Yes Empi made and sold Sportsters' Mine is the 1st 4 seater Empi made. Its on a full pan. Empi only made 20 4 seaters. My Sportster is Vin # 4. The 4th Sportster made. My Empi Sportster was assembled by Lee Leighton and the Famous Dean Lowery. My Sportster is very unique. If you look at a 1969 Empi Catalog my Sportster is the 4 seater in the Catalog. Here's a photo at Bug In 32

t-wire
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:49 am    Post subject: 4 seat Empi Sportster Reply with quote

Thanks to all of you for the info.....I have restored a lot of different types of cars....many different makes and models and the only thing that is common to any of them is the fact that they all have a unique history as to their beginnings. I don't seek out a marque... I seek out uniqueness. The Empi Sportster is such a beast. Being born and raised in California, I was always aware of Dune Buggies and figured I would get one to restore someday...then I came upon an orange Empi advertised for sale on Ebay last year, won it and started the adventure....since then I found another complete one and the shell of one based on a full VW tub.....very rough and very incomplete. Based on other forums in past years and from discussions from Samba members I may have a true 4 seater but have so little to go on....even the fixed windshield is only partially there. In reading past forums, one dated Aug 21, 2011 a member "Gunny71" posted title "What the heck do I have here" he had two very rough...but complete 4 seat Empi Sportsters, one red and one blue...they looked to be from a Texas ranch....Does any one know what happened to those or where they are? My badge is the same as what this person posted....which is actually the reason I purchased this shell...and I would like to talk with him. He has not posted since then and there is no Email address attached to his old post. Are there any other 4 seat owners out there or people that would be able to help with info on these hard to find models? (Thanks DannyZ and BL3Manx)
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DannyZ last visited TheSamba today so he's definitely reachable, send him a PM

You should send Gunny71 a PM also, he hasn't been on TheSamba since 2013 but if you send him a PM, he should get a notification in his email and maybe he'll respond.
t-wire
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 6:27 pm    Post subject: 4 seat Empi Sportster Reply with quote

Thanks BL3Manx.....Got a message out to Gunny71 and we'll see what happens....Also talked to DannyZ and got some info. The chase is the best part!
t-wire
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 10:28 pm    Post subject: Empi Sportster 4 seater Reply with quote

I am looking for a 4 seat Empi Sportster to buy.....Any condition as long as it is an original 4 seater. If you have plans for a four seater I would buy a copy. I have a two seater and even have the plans for a two seater. I would even be interested in body parts for a four seater...especially fenders or ??? Thanks for the help.....T-wire
t-wire
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 7:22 pm    Post subject: 4 Seat Empi Sportster Reply with quote

Hello Again......Still in search of a true factory 4 Seat Empi Sportster to buy or at least to see, upclose and personal in California....Anybody know where I can go to find such a beast? Email: [email protected] (559)269-4145.....I gotsta know!!!! Thanks for the help, Tim
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So where is Danny Z's 4 seat Sportster now? I thought it was in SoCal
t-wire
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Talked to him on the phone, but he was reluctant for me to come out to see it, which is understandable....he doesn't know me from Adam. He was very helpful, but I really need to see one to take some measurements. Mine is very very rough and has no back fenders, back body or wind shield....The only thing I have to go on is the fact that what is left sits on a full pan with very professional weld joints and that it had the emblem on the nose...probably a waist of time but thought I would try some resources before I call it a day....have two others on short pans that are not too bad...bought this one with one of the others and was curious to see what I could find out. I think it had gone thru a fire or been gutted for some reason...Thought it might be interesting to try to bring it back from the grave....Haven't really looked too hard for the factory pat. pending tag as i have been busy with the other 2...probably that is gone also...so I think I am waisting my time, but will hang on to it and see what comes up. Thanks again for the help and as soon as the other 2 buggies get going I will post pictures....T-wire
Iguana
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

T-Wire, you may find people more willing to help you if you post some pictures of what you have. It is a little odd you are expecting others to help you out with info etc based on something you are willing to show.

I have found showing your projects will have a positive effect on others with them as it help them relate to what you are doing.

Just an idea, good luck with the project.
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Other than the windshield and the area around the back seat, they appear mostly identical to a two seater.

That's real disappointing about not letting you look at #4. You should ask DannyZ for as many photos as he will take with a tape measure laying on the various parts you're unsure of.

Here's another shot of a 4 seater I saw I've asked the poster about

t-wire
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:56 am    Post subject: Empi Sportster engine conversion...Vw to Corvair engine swap Reply with quote

Hello.....Does anyone out there know what is the process to convert a VW engine to a Corvair engine in an Empi Sportster? I know Empi offered an engine swap kit back in 64/65 but I need someone who has had practical experience in doing this to let me know what is recommended and what needs to be added/modified to get the best and most reliable results. The Empi is a 4 seater I believe and is built on a full pan.....I know I'm probably looking for a head ache but the challenge is too good to pass up and I have access to a 64 Corvair Spyder engine with turbo....could be a very unusual piece with the right parts to keep it period correct!!! Thanks in advance for the help....
sandhopper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the corvair turns over in the oposite direction , unles it is reversed with cam
The best is to change the ring and pinion in you trans , in a type 1 trans just reverse the side the ring gear is on . add some extra mount to hold the corvair up in the rear
you will love the power of the corvair
Dr OnHolliday
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there's a Corvair into VW manual right here on Samba.
1965 Type 1 sunroof Baja / about 70k miles on self-rebuilt '74 1600 and counting / SP heads and aftermarket valve keepers / non-doghouse shroud with external cooler and filter / 1.5 qt extended sump / Weber 32/36 DFAV progressive carb / 009 dist with Pertronix / 1.25 ratio rockers and ball adjusters / 1.5" stainless steel J-pipes and carbon steel baja exhaust
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure what this really has to do with the subject of this thread, its Sportster 4 seaters not Corvair engines. You probably should have started a whole new thread for this rather than hijacking this one. It makes it hard for the people who use the search feature to look up the information on the archive when threads get hijacked

Here are two books you should buy first.

Clarks is probably the best place to buy both

Do you really want to know the best way or an easier/cheaper way that's probably OK?
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

T-wire, I came across some posts and saw that the Samba member who owns the blue and white 4 seat Sportster is in Sacramento

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=Racy
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish there were some pictures from the side and of the back seat and windshield frame

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/5262037049.html

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: