Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Vin trouble
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rclark97
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:05 am    Post subject: Vin trouble Reply with quote

im working on insurance today for my buggy and ive run into a few problems. my donor vehicle was parted out to me before i knew much about it and the vin i have is clean as far as vehicle history so insurance shouldnt care too much about that but id like to have the correct year when i tell them about the car. ive read through the vin and chassis charts but im having no luck with finding what year beetle this vin is from. the PO of the donor told me that it was most likely a 73 or a 74 beetle. i changed the last two digits for the forum for security but it is #1342484500 does anyone have an idea where this vin is from?
philthy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We cannot help you decode a VIN if you don't give us all the correct digits. It's not like a SSN man
philthy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We cannot help you decode a VIN if you don't give us all the correct digits. It's not like a SSN man. Also, 1 is the code for manufactured in the USA, second should be a letter, not a number. This gives us the vehicle manufacturer. Should be V for Volkswagen. The 10th digit is the model year. It breaks down as such: 1-1971, 2-1972, 3-1973, 4-1974, 5-1975, 6-1976, 7-1977, 8-1978, 9-1979
didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

philthy wrote:
We cannot help you decode a VIN if you don't give us all the correct digits. It's not like a SSN man. Also, 1 is the code for manufactured in the USA, (WRONG) second should be a letter, not a number.(WRONG) This gives us the vehicle manufacturer. Should be V for Volkswagen.[b](WRONG) [/b]The 10th digit is the model year. (WRONG) It breaks down as such: 1-1971, 2-1972, 3-1973, 4-1974, 5-1975, 6-1976, 7-1977, 8-1978, 9-1979

Wrong.
VWs did not have letters in their VIN -

Beetles were never made in the USA.

10th digit is NOT model year... 3rd digit denotes model year in the 10-digit numeric string.

1973 Beetle would be '113 X XXX XXX'
1974 Beetle would be '114 X XXX XXX'

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/bugchassisdating.php

bnc
philthy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was using a standard VIN decoder. I stand corrected
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey didget69, philthy must be thinking about the modern 17 digit VIN #s, for what it's worth, WVW prefix is a German built car, 1VW is a Pennsylvania built car, 3VW is a Mexico built car & 4VW is a Brazil built car. I'm sure there are others, I just haven't run into the Canada or South Carolina cars yet.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it a real VW VIN or a "state" issued VIN for a kit car or special construction...

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
Hey didget69, philthy must be thinking about the modern 17 digit VIN #s, for what it's worth, WVW prefix is a German built car, 1VW is a Pennsylvania built car, 3VW is a Mexico built car & 4VW is a Brazil built car. I'm sure there are others, I just haven't run into the Canada or South Carolina cars yet.

No Aircooled VW's were manufactured in the US. Pennsylvania built cars were water cooled cars. Is VIN number stamped in chassis at trans tunnel?

bnc
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in agreement with Didget here.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/bugchassisdating.php

One thing to note about this chart..."Year" in the 1st column indicates CALENDAR year, not MODEL YEAR. The new model year manufacturing started August 1st. So a car built on 8/3/1966 with a VIN 117 000 374 would be a 1967 year model car.

Since the VIN posted by the OP does not follow VW's VIN scheme, it must be one applied to the donor car by a state motor vehicle department or other agency. Such as if the car had at some time been "totalled", for instance stolen and then recovered after it was written off by the insurance company, and then "salvaged". That being the case, there is absolutely no way to tell what year model the car was from the VIN.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I wasn't trying to suggest that beetles were made in the U.S., I was just pointing out that the prefixes designated the country of origin in the modern VIN#s.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
DuaneL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the VIN posted by the OP does follow VW's VIN scheme, if it is 1974 super the second digit 3 would denote it being a super (you have to remember that staring in 73 all supers had a 3 as the second digit whereas the standard continued to use 1 as the second digit)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DuaneL wrote:
the VIN posted by the OP does follow VW's VIN scheme, if it is 1974 super the second digit 3 would denote it being a super (you have to remember that staring in 73 all supers had a 3 as the second digit whereas the standard continued to use 1 as the second digit)

DuaneL is correct - I had to hunt for SB chassis VIN info...

This chassis VIN mentioned by original poster appears to potentially be a Aug 73 - Jul 74 production Super Beetle VIN - IF the VIN number on title paperwork matches the stamped chassis number.

See if chassis number at tunnel looks like this > *1342484500*

Source: http://www.superbeetles.com/chassis.htm

bnc
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aha! Good of you to catch that. I was presuming a regular Beetle, not a Super.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: