Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Newbie questions about exhaust and carb for '72 Camper
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ksumshu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 3:48 pm    Post subject: Newbie questions about exhaust and carb for '72 Camper Reply with quote

Hey all! I've bought a 72 camper that had been sitting for many years before we bought it. I've got 2 main questions.

1. It needs a complete exhaust system but between the new suspension parts and engine stuff, I cannot afford the new stock system with the heat exchangers. Being in the south, I don't really need heat anyway (or at least I tell myself that Very Happy ) What bolt-on exhaust system would you recommend that is on the cheaper end but is still safe and dependable to get me by until I save up some cash? Would a bug header system work? I'm worried that buying a cheap system to get me by would be exactly that: cheap.

2. As I understand, the 72 had a dual carb system but the P.O. installed a single progressive 32/36 dgev carb. It's grimy so my options are rebuild or buy a new/used one, right?. I've looked online and have only found a new one through Weber's Direct, which has had some questionable reviews. Has anyone used those carbs? Or is there another site that is dependable?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I've learned so much since I've bought this bus and can't wait to get her going. Thanks so much for reading!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

old DKP driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 4:45 pm    Post subject: new 72 owner Reply with quote

Welcome to the asylum Laughing

Good to see another 72 bus being put back in service. There are many of us here and, You will also find the 72 is a 1 year ONLY Bus.

Carbs are a toss up and start at around $450.00 for 34mm weber ICT's
which if fine for a 1700 engine.

Exhaust systems vary also depending what you want $200.00 UP.

how are the heater boxes? and have you already started on the other
important items like:
Brakes
Lights
Electrical
Not to mention the body work.

Post the state you live in so others here can help you.

again, WELCOME
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The shells of the heater boxes can be falling off and not necessarily hurt anything. Check that there is no rust through of the inner pipe of the exchangers right where the flanges bolt to the muffler. That is the most typical spot for a hard to fix exhaust leak.

In the deep south you will probably have few problems running a center mount progressive. Most of what people say about these carbs comes from people who never figured out how they needed to be set up. Others drive them year around with few problems getting good power and gas mileage. Check out the Progressives Suck thread, there are a lot of good ideas there.
ksumshu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
The shells of the heater boxes can be falling off and not necessarily hurt anything. Check that there is no rust through of the inner pipe of the exchangers right where the flanges bolt to the muffler. That is the most typical spot for a hard to fix exhaust leak.

In the deep south you will probably have few problems running a center mount progressive. Most of what people say about these carbs comes from people who never figured out how they needed to be set up. Others drive them year around with few problems getting good power and gas mileage. Check out the Progressives Suck thread, there are a lot of good ideas there.

Thanks so much for the info, will check for that rust.
ksumshu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 5:19 am    Post subject: Re: new 72 owner Reply with quote

old DKP driver wrote:
Welcome to the asylum Laughing

Good to see another 72 bus being put back in service. There are many of us here and, You will also find the 72 is a 1 year ONLY Bus.

Carbs are a toss up and start at around $450.00 for 34mm weber ICT's
which if fine for a 1700 engine.

Exhaust systems vary also depending what you want $200.00 UP.

how are the heater boxes? and have you already started on the other
important items like:
Brakes
Lights
Electrical
Not to mention the body work.

Post the state you live in so others here can help you.

again, WELCOME

Thanks for the reply! So you recommend going back to dual carbs even though I currently have a center mount? I'm going back to college soon so my dad and I are taking it to a aircooled mechanic (we're in South Carolina) to get her right. All lights and electrical are good except brake lights. On the subject of brakes, I've ordered new brake parts and the like but the only things I haven't gotten yet are a carb and exhaust system. Thanks again.
old DKP driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:47 am    Post subject: 72 westy Reply with quote

Dual carbs work very well on this engine and you have time to investigate before deciding which set.

Fall will be here soon and as you said you will be back to school and really
have more than enough work to do on your new project. and as Wildthings
mentioned You may be able to run the progressive carb while fixing other
more important.
ohnomrbill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome - my situation is similar to yours as I picked up a 73 campmobile a few years ago with a PO-installed Weber Progressive carb. I drove it for quite a while while working on other more urgent issues (CV joints, front end work, etc.) but was never really satisfied with the driveability. I ended up springing for a pair of Kadrons and after the initial setup using the instructions that came with them they've been perfect. "Your mileage may vary" - it's quite possible that the Weber was fine and I just never found the magic thing to tweak, but I just got tired of dinking with it.

Good luck on your bus journey ...
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to TheSamba!

Bus 1700/1800/2000 Exhaust/ Heater 1972-1979

72-78 Bus Heater Box Replacement

How to make a progressive work properly on a VW engine.

1972 Bay one year only list
The '72 only photos thread

Tcash wrote:
Here is a little information. Good Luck

Pictures would be cool.
How to post photos/How to post a photo in the Forums

Pronunciation (Samba) English

I am thinking of buying a VW van
Cleaning+Rodents+Hantavirus
Up in smoke... Bus fires... don't let it happen to you!
M-Plate Location
M-Plate Decoder Volkswagen Type 2 Bus
Bus VIN / Chassis Numbers
Type 2/Bus Owner's Manuals
Bus repair manuals
Bus parts manuals
Early Baywindow Bus Parts Book
Late Baywindow Bus Parts Fiche
Type 2 Wiring Diagrams
Model and Year Variations
Type 4: Secrets Revealed
Distributor Parts & Specifications
PARTS INTERCHANGE MANUAL
Youtube Videos

There is a ton of information located at the top of the Forum section.
ksumshu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ohnomrbill wrote:
Welcome - my situation is similar to yours as I picked up a 73 campmobile a few years ago with a PO-installed Weber Progressive carb. I drove it for quite a while while working on other more urgent issues (CV joints, front end work, etc.) but was never really satisfied with the driveability. I ended up springing for a pair of Kadrons and after the initial setup using the instructions that came with them they've been perfect. "Your mileage may vary" - it's quite possible that the Weber was fine and I just never found the magic thing to tweak, but I just got tired of dinking with it.

Good luck on your bus journey ...

Thanks for telling me about your situation, I may end up switching eventually. It seems like I've heard more good things about dual Kadrons than a center mount progressive.
Thanks again.
ksumshu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Tcash, after lurking on this site for a year and a half, it's great to get a welcome from you!
sparky892
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 5:26 pm    Post subject: Heat exchangers Reply with quote

Welcome to the world of the 72's
I pm'ed you about heat exchangers. I may be able to help. Very Happy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: