Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Engine Doesn't Turn Over After Turned Off for 45 Min or So
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
panpan388
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 6:25 pm    Post subject: Engine Doesn't Turn Over After Turned Off for 45 Min or So Reply with quote

I am hoping somebody can shed some light on my most recent problem. I have a 1300cc stock engine. Last winter, I had the valves redone in the heads and put new rings in. I have probably put about 500 miles on it so far this year with no problems. Actually, it starts up right away when it has been sitting for awhile and cold. If I go to the store and then start it up after a few moments, I need to put the throttle on the whole way and crank it for 5 or so seconds until it spits and sputters and then it comes around. Also a fuel smell comes with that. I know I need to adjust the carb, but my major problem just started last weekend. After driving for an hour or so, I stopped at a friends house. (I was parked on a slight uphill grade). After being there for about 45 minutes, I went to start it and it just went "puh" and did not turn over, as if it were a dead battery. The battery is also new since May. I tried to drift start it in reverse but the wheel were locked, like it had too much compression. So, we ended up jumping it with my friends car and it started right away. So I figured I would carry my battery pack with me the next time. After I got home, I turned it off and restarted it right away. Two hours later, I did the same thing with success. I measured the battery and was getting 13.9V at about 1500 rpm. Well, today I was driving for about and hour or so and ended up at my parents. (I was also parked on an uphill grade) (I really don't know if this matters, but it was something common between the two times it happened). After an hour and a half, I went to start it and once again, it seemed like the battery was dead. I hooked up my fully charged battery pack, and nothing. So I tried drifting it in reverse again and it still seemed like it was locked up. We pushed it over to the downhill and I tried to drift start it in 2nd. At first, the wheel locked, but then I let it get up some more speed and then it broke free and turned the motor over. Somebody mentioned that they saw some stuff spray out of the exhaust. Could this be fuel? Somebody suggested that I might be getting fuel down in the cylinders? Would this react like that? The only other idea I have is that the rings are seizing onto the cylinder?? Any ideas? Thanks.
MMW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes the cylinders can be filling with fuel & hydro locking the engine. This is not a good thing. When parking on an uphill grade if the tank is higher than the carbs it can easily syphon fuel past a worn fuel pump & overflow the carb bowls to the point it leaks down into the cylinders. When you go to start it the fuel cannot compress & it hydro locks.

If this is what is happening then you are very lucky you didn't break the motor by trying to start it or bump start it. Next time it happens pull the plugs & crank it over to see if fuel spits out the holes. I recommend disconnecting the coil so no spark happens to ignite the fuel.
Update - third pc. found!
Now just need the case halves.
1965 fenderless beetle
Aussiebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hydro lock is a possibility. After driving the car then letting it sit facing up hill, try removing the carb top and looking at the fuel level - it should be about 10mmm below the top of the float bowl. If it's full, replace the needle valve in the top of the carb and see if that fixes it.

I'm also wondering about your earth strap under the tranny nose cone, since it will SOMETIMES start with a jumper pack. Remove, clean connections and reinstall (replace if it's at all corroded). Same with battery terminals and the battery-earth strap. Poor earths cause a lot of problems in old bugs, and that strap carries all the current from the starter back to the battery.

Clutch starting in reverse or first is difficult - the gearing is too low. Much easier in 2nd or 3rd if possible (car facing downhill or on the flat).

13.9v with the engine running is OK - a little higher would be better as below 14v you need more than stop start runs to charge the battery in a short time. A bad earth connection can cause low voltage too (another reaon to check the tranny strap etc).
http://www.vw-resource.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
CPO_05
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carb lock. Had a 64 that did this when I parked on a hill. When it finally turned over it shot gas out t he pipes. I parked it facing down hill as a temp fix until I could rebuild the carb.
jzjames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like the needle shutoff valve in the carb may not be doing it's job, and letting fuel overrun everything. I'd take a look at that and maybe it can be cured with some thicker washer under the needle valve ... or a better needle valve...?
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of reports of bad new shut off valves. Personally have never needed to replace an OG one, but have had to add second gasket to get it to shut off in warmer weather.
panpan388
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the replies. I have access to a spare carb that I am going to try first. I am glad that the main response is something with the carb and not the bottom end. I will post an update with what I found.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please keep us all updated on how it goes!
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 6:19 am    Post subject: Re: Engine Doesn't Turn Over After Turned Off for 45 Min or Reply with quote

panpan388 wrote:
The only other idea I have is that the rings are seizing onto the cylinder??

I can't imagine that happening in such a short time.

I think the parking uphill is a real clue.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was an anti-siphon valve fitted to some Type 1 and 3 engines that may keep this from happening again.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=568271

Early Bug style:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Type 3 style for sale in the classifieds now:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
OLD VW NUT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good needle valve will prevent this. All fuel pumps - good or bad ones - will happily pass fuel via gravity. The needle valve assembly is there to prevent flooding and possible hydraulic locking of the motor - a severe hydraulic lock can bend rods.

If you can't find a needle valve replacement that prevents this park with the car on level pavement or nose downhill.

Other car - 2013 VW Golf TDI
diablosandwich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw this on ebay the other day . http://www.ebay.com/itm/371020046177?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: