Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Abarth Exhaust old style
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
hime
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 6:22 pm    Post subject: Abarth Exhaust old style Reply with quote

Found this 30 years ago in a scrap pile in the back of an apple orchard. Yes a scrap pile. Found a guy that wants it here on Samba and I don't want to overprice it nor sell it too cheap. Just want it Fair.
Im saving it for him, unless he turns it down, so its not really for sale yet. Just looking for a value. thanks to everyone that supports Samba. dave
vwsonmybrain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, I can't help with any info on pricing, etc., but I can help post some of your photos to this thread so that others can help you out:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

hime
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help, I haven't figured out the photo part yet.
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: Abarth Exhaust old style Reply with quote

its vintage 36hp muffler that's for sure. the price all depends on who made your muffler I. over the years I have seen mufflers like you have. sell from $200.00 to $600.00 used .to crazy $1,000.00 for NOS ones,your muffler does look to be a abarth muffler .I looked on samba today and saw that stock 36 HP mufflers are selling from $160.00 to $295.00. so yours might be worth $350.00.. this is how I look at it when I sell used parts . first how much money did I have in the part .second how much money is a fair price for the part .next do you want to keep it for 2 years trying to sell it for crazy money .a part can be rare and worth a lot of money . but if no one wants it .then its worth nothing .seeing that you have nothing in your muffler .any amount of money you get for it is 100% pay out to you . just my two cents spencerfvee
hime wrote:
Found this 30 years ago in a scrap pile in the back of an apple orchard. Yes a scrap pile. Found a guy that wants it here on Samba and I don't want to overprice it nor sell it too cheap. Just want it Fair.
Im saving it for him, unless he turns it down, so its not really for sale yet. Just looking for a value. thanks to everyone that supports Samba. dave
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hime
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's just about exactly what I worked out with a guy. .Im sure you will see and hear more about it. If its junk, he gets to return it, if not he is going to really enjoy it. Or use it for a template.
Just found a number on the flange. 500. 11 500. D
Yes it really was in a scrap heap 30 years ago, and the orchardist gave it to me. After all those years sitting in a corner we may all see it used on a "very special " old Beetle. thanks for your advise. dave
Blauchen L331
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would like to know how many of you out there have an original ABARTH system running on your 36hp?

I'll be testing this very muffler out on my "Blauchen" shortly hoping that there's some life left in it and it will be a good basis for a restoration.

Has anyone here at the Samba RESTORED a used ABARTH muffler?

Thanks,

Tom
USA RAM Protection/Export Overrider Bumpers - MPH Speedometer -
Sealed Beam Headlights and Bullet Front Turn Signals!
99.9% ORIGINAL PARTS WITH ONLY 36,500 ORIGINAL MILES/ GARAGE FIND/ UNRESTORED CAR
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Blauchen L331
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nearly 600 hits and no one has chimed in.......I guess more of these were thrown out then kept? No one here really knows anything about them, I've got most of my standing information from some ABARTH collectors in Europe and they are dealing in mostly the Fiat and Abarth-mono coupe racing cars.

Well with the shoddy workmanship of the repro ones (NOT FITTING CORRECTLY) either under or through the cut outs and after looking over 4 years for the right one *a late 36hp version* I'm crossing my fingers with this one and will keep everyone posted here at what's happening.

I'm going to try my best to make this muffler work, while I have a feeling it's like a unicorn only a few lucky people ever get to hear.......A REAL ONE!

Smile

Tom
99.9% ORIGINAL PARTS WITH ONLY 36,500 ORIGINAL MILES/ GARAGE FIND/ UNRESTORED CAR
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Peter_Plade
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blauchen L331 wrote:
Nearly 600 hits and no one has chimed in.......I guess more of these were thrown out then kept? No one here really knows anything about them, I've got most of my standing information from some ABARTH collectors in Europe and they are dealing in mostly the Fiat and Abarth-mono coupe racing cars.

Well with the shoddy workmanship of the repro ones (NOT FITTING CORRECTLY) either under or through the cut outs and after looking over 4 years for the right one *a late 36hp version* I'm crossing my fingers with this one and will keep everyone posted here at what's happening.

I'm going to try my best to make this muffler work, while I have a feeling it's like a unicorn only a few lucky people ever get to hear.......A REAL ONE!

Smile

Tom

I had a real one on my car a few years back, but it was a little to noisy to my liking. So ended up selling it, and made my own copy instead.

Here is the real one. (There a couple of more pics in my gallery)

And here is my homemade copy.

jarmchairpilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 1:37 pm    Post subject: abarth exhaust Reply with quote

Thats the best photo of an original Abarth I have seen yet.Some company in England made a rip=off of this and sold it there until the 1970,s as an Abarth claiming that it increased engine power up to 50 per cent taking acceleration to 60mph from 32 to 16seconds.However I dont believe everything I read in advertising today or from before I was born.
I am curious to know how much extra performance you noticed or was it not worth all that extra noise.Thanks.
Blauchen L331
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter_Plade wrote:
Blauchen L331 wrote:

Smile

Tom

I had a real one on my car a few years back, but it was a little to noisy to my liking. So ended up selling it, and made my own copy instead.

Here is the real one. (There a couple of more pics in my gallery)

That's a very early 1955 one, still has the bent pipes.....the one I've got is the one for the cut outs.

Tom

Last edited by Blauchen L331 on Thu Aug 27, 2015 4:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
artguy1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 4:09 pm    Post subject: Abarth Documentation Reply with quote

A few photos for the files here. I am not a big "poster" so bear with me

spencerfvee_oooo ahhh, pricing is quite low in your post above I believe...not meaning to ruffle the feathers of the real collectors like you out there.

The market has changed quite a bit. They are definitely worth what somebody will pay...true....but I think any sambanista would pop for one of these all day long for $350. I would buy 2 more at that price!...if they were available. Therein lies the rub.

When you mention crazy money, that's what they are selling for...if you can find one, have the money at the time and the patience to verify the actual part and source any component pieces like the clamps.

Anybody have a set of Abarth clamps like these they are looking to get out of their sock drawer? I was lucky to have a seller who kept these and sold them with the Abarth I currently own.

Peter sure had a beautiful piece. The decals are really good for documentation and historical files.

The photos are of an Abarth with the straight pipes/tips specifically for the 56-57 model ovals I believe.

I hope this helps with more visual identity regarding the Abarth.

Cheers
artguy1

Blauchen L331
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Abarth Documentation Reply with quote

artguy1 wrote:

I was lucky to have a seller who kept these and sold them with the Abarth I currently own.

Cheers
artguy1

I was just offered some of the "A" clamps about 12 hours ago by someone, so glad to see what they look, like thank you artguy1

Ohh do you know how many mm's those clamps are?

Your muffler is the 1955 to 1957 model, with that heat riser pipe, in 1958 ABARTH deleted that from what I can figure from all the literature I've seen in the past month......

Do you have any ID numbers on your muffler flanges?

I wanted a muffler like that also, but the one offered to me is a 1958 to 1960 model, last version made for the 36hp motor.

How is the sound? Everybody is saying too loud and no horsepower increase? I hope to hear more performance stories about the original mufflers, I have pretty much identified all the outside characteristics of the systems (there's about 4 versions made for the 36hp motor) so ABARTH exhausts just like their racing team were improving exhausts all the time too.

Their exhaust business was running from ca. 1952 to ca. 1970 and the distributors in the U.S.A. were Fisher Products in Long Island, NY.

Tom

Last edited by Blauchen L331 on Thu Aug 27, 2015 5:17 pm; edited 2 times in total
Blauchen L331
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad that more people have posted here, still seems that few people are running an original muffler on their car, due to it being such a collectors item?

I'm NOT a collector of parts or a hoarder I believe in having stuff for my car on it and no excesses , but then again each VW guy has his own idea of what's in the're own collection (I collect rare toys) which that may look krazy to some people as well. Wink

I'm waiting to see if anyone else has the same muffler that I've found and if it's running on a car (ABARTH sans/without high riser pipe) if so let me know....

Tom

Last edited by Blauchen L331 on Thu Aug 27, 2015 5:20 pm; edited 3 times in total
Blauchen L331
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have found a source for original style water soluble decals and hope to see how they look.............waiting for samples.
Tom
My57Oval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got almost the entire collection of Foreign Car Guide and every edition has an ad from Fisher/Abarth. Good source of information.

Maybe I'm crazy for collecting these old mini mags?

Maybe! But man, what a great source of information they are. Ask EB. I think he has a full collection too.

Sorry, I don't have an Abarth, but for the $ I would get one of these instead:
!!

http://volks-shop.com/dual-tail-pipe-sport-muffler-for-25hp-36hp-rear-apron-without-cut-out.html

Rob
Blauchen L331
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My57Oval wrote:
I've got almost the entire collection of Foreign Car Guide and every edition has an ad from Fisher/Abarth. Good source of information.

Maybe I'm crazy for collecting these old mini mags?

Maybe! But man, what a great source of information they are. Ask EB. I think he has a full collection too.

Sorry, I don't have an Abarth, but for the $ I would get one of these instead:
!!

http://volks-shop.com/dual-tail-pipe-sport-muffler-for-25hp-36hp-rear-apron-without-cut-out.html

Rob

I studied the small FCQ magazines too for the past year to find out more about ABARTH mufflers and they were a big help.

Trying to figure out what color the Fisher Products logo was, I have a great sticker company who can make them for me.

Tom
artguy1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:37 pm    Post subject: Abarth related to Stebro? And Advertising references Reply with quote

There are many cool exhausts out there to be sure

Not my photo but it's in the Stebro archives. This is quite cool for a 1300-1600cc.

I am running one of these on my H 0 number engine.

I like the ad references as well. This certainly helps substantiate original equipment. Seems like ads reference Stebro/Abarth concurrently?

This links in to the water slide decal story as well. I was able to locate a fairly good example (which I am grateful for btw) of a Stebro water transfer logo made by Acme Montreal Feb 1968

For this exhaust
artguy1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:45 pm    Post subject: Dims on Abarth clamps -reference photo Reply with quote

Looks like 54 mm left to right if this is of help to samba folks

Blauchen L331
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Dims on Abarth clamps -reference photo Reply with quote

artguy1 wrote:
Looks like 54 mm left to right if this is of help to samba folks

Thanks so much!!!! Very Happy

Tom
Peter_Plade
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: abarth exhaust Reply with quote

jarmchairpilot wrote:
Thats the best photo of an original Abarth I have seen yet.Some company in England made a rip=off of this and sold it there until the 1970,s as an Abarth claiming that it increased engine power up to 50 per cent taking acceleration to 60mph from 32 to 16seconds.However I dont believe everything I read in advertising today or from before I was born.
I am curious to know how much extra performance you noticed or was it not worth all that extra noise.Thanks.

To tell you truth I couldn't feel any difference on my vintage speed motor, from homemade "Abarth" to real Abarth and back to homemade, the only and real way to tell was to have the car dynoed my car with both exhausts, but I hadn't the opportunity to do that.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: