Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Coil over front beams
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
griffs68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you again you seem to be full of a vast amount of knowledge on these things
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're welcome. There are those who feel I'm full of something else, but oh well...
Cool
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
griffs68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay now I have both my beam and arms here I need to get bushings for the beam how do I know what size to buy?
Hnoroian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

griffs68 wrote:
My buddy with the fab shop owes me some work so this will only cost me materials.

Nice friend! Where is his shop?
griffs68 wrote:
Okay now I have both my beam and arms here I need to get bushings for the beam how do I know what size to buy?

dial calipers, measure inside the beam and outside the arms? And/or take it into German dreams, or Bart's parts here in town. If you go there to get them take the beam and the arms in just to make sure (I don't work for either of them, but I've had fantastic luck at GD)
griffs68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bakersfield metal fab off of district.
I know dave real well from barts parts, great guy.
I have not dealt much with german dreams.
griffs68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I dropped off the front trailing arms today at the powder coaters. after cleaning out the rusted threads.

Got my delrin bushings for the beam in. Have not installed them into the beam yet due to the paint/ gunk I need to clean out of the beam first.

Dusty,
Do you still suggust using FOA or are they not worth the hassle you can get KINGS for about 500 each with springs and FOX for 320 without springs.
I suppose any and or all will do the job and again this is a sand only toy
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a long time I was hearing only good stuff about F-O-A from folks who had them. Lately I've heard some people who were unhappy with their F-O-A shocks. But I'm not sure if it's truly troubles with the shocks, or people who are snobs about brand names. I haven't heard any consistent complaints, so I'm inclined to think it's people who've been told that because they cost less that they're no good. The offroad world is full of people who think that more expensive absolutely means that it's better. It aint always true.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
PhillipM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

People seemed really happy with them initially, but like you say, there's some other stories coming out about the later ones - I look at a car over here running a set a year or so ago, and he'd had issues where he just could not get them to consistantly match each other on the same stacks - after about a year he binned them and went back to Fox.
griffs68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 1:26 pm    Post subject: new shocks Reply with quote

okay so i picked up some 8" travel fox 2.0 coil overs with springs on them. removed the springs and from what I can tell I have older hyper coil springs (D820 & Z230) I do Believe that these are older. Anyone have any ideas what they are. Both are 8 inches free length 2.5 I.D. coils. I think the valving on the shocks is 45/75 at least those are the numbers etched into the lower spring mount
griffs68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay so I got the springs to a shop that measured the rates for me seems like I have a set of 200 springs and a set of 250 springs both with 8 inch free lengths. I do not think that these will work for the rear. but any information will help
griffs68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: coil over front beams Reply with quote

finally got around to getting time to get to work on this project. DUSTY I do have a question for you. it seems that my swing arm trans has about 3 inches of down travel from level axle tubes and close to 7 of up travel before the axle tubes hit the frame. on the down stroke the axles and binding on the side gears of the transmission it seems. why is there so much more up travel then down. wouldn't I want the tubes level with about the same up and down travel or would I need to have some up angle on the axle tubes at ride hieght
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: coil over front beams Reply with quote

To a swingaxle transaxle and axles, up or down is the same. Typically a stock swingaxle car will get about 9" of travel between factory spring plate stops. The stock rubber snubber takes away some of that bump travel.

10" of total travel (your 3" down + 7" up) is a little more than usual swingaxle. It's too much for a swingaxle. It's likely to tear up the side gears. Hi Jumper wasn't meaning for the frame be the limit to the wheel travel when they designed the frame. They designed it to clear reasonable travel. They intended those coilover shocks that are on it or the Marv Shaw air shocks often found on these frames which have similar extended and compressed lengths to provide both upper and lower wheel travel limits.

You could install longer rear shocks if you want. But the upper mounts would need to be built new. I wouldn't recommend more than 9" of total travel in whatever you go with. 4" of droop from horizontal axles is probably the most you should go with. But that will allow the rear wheels to get into trouble with "jacking". 8" total travel with 3" droop from horizontal is probably better.

Since the lower shock mounts are right on the top of the axle housing itself, the travel of the shock will be the travel of the suspension. So you don't need any more than 8" of shock travel. A pair of 8" x 2" King or Fox or Sway-A-Way, or F-O-A shocks with remote reservoirs would be an improvement on the current shocks and about all the improvement it can stand short of converting to an IRS setup. Looking into the shocks the above companies offer for Class 9 racers might be helpful.

PS... Any new upper shock mounts should be built so the shock mount bolts are at a 45 to the trailing arm.
SoCalBajas Member
griffs68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: coil over front beams Reply with quote

Thanks Dusty, I purchased a set of 8 inch travel foxes for the rear already so I am good on those. By 45* offset for the bolt what do you mean. I was thinking about taking a little bit of angle out of the shock with the top mount being a little bit more towards the wheel to clear the frame. so with the up travel should I work a set of simple rubber/ poly bump stops into the build and have them hit axle tube?
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: coil over front beams Reply with quote

The rear suspension pivots in 2 places on each side.

One pivot point is the torsion bar inside the torsion housing. So the theoretical pivot axis is the center of the torsion bar at the spring plate. In your buggy with the trailing arms instead of spring plates and torsion bars, that pivot is obviously at the front end of the trailing arm.

The other pivot point is at the axle joint at the side of the transaxle.

So the suspension pivots on a line from one point to the other. This line is at a near 45° angle to the centerline of the car. The spring plates are basically parallel to the centerline of the car, and their line is obvious when you are working on that side of the suspension. Since the suspension pivots on that line, the shock mount bolts should be parallel to that pivot line so the shock ends work and allow things to move. If the bolts are parallel or perpendicular to the trailing arms (or spring plates), movement of the suspension will cause binding of the shock ends and shafts. EVEN with Heims.
SoCalBajas Member
griffs68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 10:38 pm    Post subject: Re: coil over front beams Reply with quote

the original lower shock mounts are at a 45* on the axle so what I believe you are saying is I need to keep the same relative angle for the top mounts.
PhillipM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: coil over front beams Reply with quote

Pretty much, try and keep your heims doing as little articulation as you can to keep them within there limits. You'll get a bit of angle change as they cycle anyway (not a bad thing, means they don't wear a track in the ball)
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: coil over front beams Reply with quote

griffs68 wrote:
the original lower shock mounts are at a 45* on the axle so what I believe you are saying is I need to keep the same relative angle for the top mounts.

Yup!

You can keep the original lower mounts. Just need new upper mounts on the frame, but at a matching angle.
SoCalBajas Member
jsturtlebuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Coil over front beams Reply with quote

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1855600

This is a buggy for sale in the classifies that has different rear coil over with upper mount in a different place. (small pictures)
Chassis sure looks like a Hi-Jumper.
May give you an idea for yours.
Motion Tire Motorsports
Having fun with Dune Buggies since 1970
Into Volkswagens since 1960
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Coil over front beams Reply with quote

jsturtlebuggy wrote:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1855600

This is a buggy for sale in the classifies that has different rear coil over with upper mount in a different place. (small pictures)
Chassis sure looks like a Hi-Jumper.
May give you an idea for yours.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

That is most definitely NOT a Chenowth. It most definitely IS a Sand Sprite.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The upper shock mounts on that car are done incorrectly. The bolt angle is WRONG. You could copy most of that shock mount setup, but get the bolt angle correct.
SoCalBajas Member
griffs68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Coil over front beams Reply with quote

should I fab in some bump stops?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: