Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Generator, Regulator and Battery Wiring
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dubskii
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:45 pm    Post subject: Generator, Regulator and Battery Wiring Reply with quote

I bought a bus this past week and was told it had some charging issues (idiot light is on, bus runs though!). It is a 12v system with a generator. I changed the brushes and started her back up and the light was still on. I went back to look at the engine and noticed there is no direct connection from the regulator to the battery. Is this correct?

Pic of the Generator wiring
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Pic of the Regulator wiring

The wiring on the right of the regulator is from the D+ and DF terminals as well as the ground on the generator. The thick red wire on the left is from the wiring harness (not sure what that is connected to) and the thin wire behind that is to the idiot light. Ideas as to this red wire?

Pic of the Regulator to Battery

This pic shows there is no connection from the regulator to the battery.

Questions:

1. Should there be a direct connection between the regulator and battery? 2. Is it possible that this connection occurs at the starter?
3. If no to Question 2, should I connect a wire to the battery from to the regulator terminal just above the thick red wire on the left?
4. If yes to Question 3, what gauge should this wire be?

Also, I have not tested volts yet. Not really sure how to do that.

Thanks for any help.
WTB Joe Heishman VW Arlington, VA License Plate Frame or Other Memorabilia
joe cool
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

connection is made at starter motor
get a wiring diagram before you damage something expensive
(also make sure you are sending 12v from generator idiot light to voltage regulator, good chance this is why your warning light is on)
Dubskii
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen this diagram from Speedy Jim's site which shows the hook up I have but also a wire directly to the battery from the regulator. If the connection is made at the starter then that is good.

My volt meter on my dash reads 12v when I start the motor. Is that 12v showing from the generator, regulator or battery?

Next, I will test the battery both with engine off and engine on.

Is it possible everything is fine and the light will just be on?
srfndoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

B+ goes to the positive terminal of your battery.

61 goes to the generator light in your speedo.

At least that's how a stock 12v system is setup:

Last edited by srfndoc on Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:51 am; edited 1 time in total
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not good that the red light is on all the time with engine running. Not only probably bad for the battery, but bad for the engine when (not IF) the fan belt breaks. Then little to no cooling air goes over the engine to keep it cool and in a few minutes or sooner you will need an engine rebuild. With idiot light working properly you know to pull over ASAP and fix/replace the belt.

Get proper positive battery cable grommet in that front fire wall and avoid the cable getting cut thru the insulation and causing a wiring fire.

Post more images of the engine, so all here can point out any more future surprises you may want to avoid.
telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simplified wiring:

Note: 'to battery" = to starter.

To test:

1) With the ignition key ON, unplug blue wire going to the regulator '61' terminal. The GEN lamp should not light. The GEN lamp should light when the blue wire is grounded to the regulator case. Reconnect after testing.

2) With the engine running at a fast idle, connect a voltmeter between the generator D+ terminal (+) and ground (-). Mind the spinning fan belt. You should read between 13.8 and 14.4 volts.

3) Connect the voltmeter between the regulator terminal 61 and ground. You should measure the same 13.8 to 14.4 volts.

4) Measure from the regulator Df terminal to ground. It should be less than battery voltage by a few volts. Under slow speed operation, it could reach 0 volts. It will fluctuate with engine speed.
When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. The pain is only felt by others.
Same thing happens when you're stupid. - Philippe Geluck
More VW electrical at http://telforddorr.com/ (available 9am to 9pm PST)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dubskii
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent info. This morning I tested the battery with the engine off and it read 12.5v. If I run the engine and test the battery it should read 13-14v, correct? If so, I know my battery, regulator and generator setup is working properly. Stay tuned.

Also, I will get a firewall grommet.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should read about 13 volts IF the battery needs a bit of charging up and the engine RPM is a bit higher than idle speed.
guatebus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't the regulator ground through the body?

It appears to be just sitting in the engine compartment and maybe there's not a good ground connection being made.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you look carefully in the second image there is a large Phillips screw thru one foot/mount.
telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what the brown wire in the generator - regulator harness is supposed to be for. Although it's a but strange, as the regulator is also grounded to the body. So there seems to be multiple ground paths for the regulator. I suppose the brown wire is supposed to guarantee that the regulator ground is the same as the generator ground. Problem is, if the trannie ground strap is bad or missing, the generator is going to try to use that tiny wire as a ground return, most likely with less than stellar results.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
xcoldgrimjimx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

telford dorr wrote:
Simplified wiring:

Note: 'to battery" = to starter.

To test:

1) With the ignition key ON, unplug blue wire going to the regulator '61' terminal. The GEN lamp should not light. The GEN lamp should light when the blue wire is grounded to the regulator case. Reconnect after testing.

2) With the engine running at a fast idle, connect a voltmeter between the generator D+ terminal (+) and ground (-). Mind the spinning fan belt. You should read between 13.8 and 14.4 volts.

3) Connect the voltmeter between the regulator terminal 61 and ground. You should measure the same 13.8 to 14.4 volts.

4) Measure from the regulator Df terminal to ground. It should be less than battery voltage by a few volts. Under slow speed operation, it could reach 0 volts. It will fluctuate with engine speed.
I was wondering if you really need that brown wire ? Or does the charging work without it? The D- wire ...🤔
telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Generator, Regulator and Battery Wiring Reply with quote

The brown wire is supposed to make sure that the voltage regulator is referenced to the generator, and thus the voltage seen by the regulator (D+ to D-) is what the generator is putting out. This way, the regulated voltage is what it should be. Without the brown wire, there could be unknown voltage drops between the engine and the regulator, resulting in a confused regulator and an unknown generator output voltage.

Now with that said, because the regulator is screwed to the body (and thus grounding to it), any voltage drops (like from a bad trannie ground strap) could still (theoretically) override the brown wire a bit. [Back in the 6 volt split window days, the regulator was physically mounted to the generator, rendering this possibility moot.]
ryans65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Generator, Regulator and Battery Wiring Reply with quote

I put the wiring works harness in my 65 over three years ago, the body guy removed it and I've got it all back in now but cannot for the life of me figure out where the B+ wire from the generator to the battery + is. Anyone out there that has done one of these recently know if that wire was in the wiring works loom? It is not mentioned on the page that details the separate small single wire sections like the headlamp grounds etc. so I know it wasnt something I've overlooked or was it? Looks like it is supposed to be a 6mm wire so can't be easily mistaken for anything else.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ryans65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Generator, Regulator and Battery Wiring Reply with quote

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Generator, Regulator and Battery Wiring Reply with quote

For 1500cc factory supplied VW buses:

https://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=311971225C
ryans65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Generator, Regulator and Battery Wiring Reply with quote

Awesome, thank you!!! I'll add that to my next (hopefully last) large WW order.
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Generator, Regulator and Battery Wiring Reply with quote

Found mine in the trunk!
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Generator, Regulator and Battery Wiring Reply with quote

ryans65 wrote:
Awesome, thank you!!! I'll add that to my next (hopefully last) large WW order.

Glad to help. While you are at it, get the ground cable for the battery also. WW makes them just like VW did. Brass battery clamps, soldered correctly to the cables. Means zero chance that battery acid can get into the joint between cables and clamps. Brass battery clamps will far outlast the cheap lead FLAPS clamps, if you only tighten them just enough to keep them from slipping on the terminal.
ryans65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:55 am    Post subject: Re: Generator, Regulator and Battery Wiring Reply with quote

ground cable is on the list as well, got a lot of little bits to get me to the finish line then a pile of stuff on the bed i've bought twice, bought wrong etc. ha!

thanks again
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: