Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Ebay to the rescue
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:30 am    Post subject: Ebay to the rescue Reply with quote

So my son just got his first car, a 2000 Saturn SL with 79,000 mile. We get the car home and find the rear window is stuck, so i apply some pressure and the glass drops. After removing the door panel I find a plastic guild snapped and has to be replaced.

Since Saturn is out of business, i head to the local Chevy dealer. He has the films but it does not show the clip, only the entire regulator. He says the regulator is listed as "out of stock" and he'd have to do a nationwide search for one. The price is listed at $210.

So i do a search on ebay and find manual regulators for $50 and power for $130. Then on the left side ebay lists other related items and there it is... the plastic clip I need for $12 shipped.

There's no need to buy a regulator when the clip IS available. Some Chevy dealer must of bought a shitload of then for pennies and is selling them for $12.

Before ebay, i'd be buying a new regulator... if i could find one.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cali_Army_Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Ebay to the rescue Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
So my son just got his first car, a 2000 Saturn SL with 79,000 mile. We get the car home and find the rear window is stuck, so i apply some pressure and the glass drops. After removing the door panel I find a plastic guild snapped and has to be replaced.

Since Saturn is out of business, i head to the local Chevy dealer. He has the films but it does not show the clip, only the entire regulator. He says the regulator is listed as "out of stock" and he'd have to do a nationwide search for one. The price is listed at $210.

So i do a search on ebay and find manual regulators for $50 and power for $130. Then on the left side ebay lists other related items and there it is... the plastic clip I need for $12 shipped.

There's no need to buy a regulator when the clip IS available. Some Chevy dealer must of bought a shitload of then for pennies and is selling them for $12.

Before ebay, i'd be buying a new regulator... if i could find one.

I love eBay. I've ordered 95% of the stuff for my bug on eBay (plus countless other non bug items) It's always cheaper than anywhere else and free shipping. For stuff I can wait 2-3 days for I go to eBay.
talljordan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it werent for finding it on ebay why not head down to your local scrapper and grab one from there?

Wanted: Male computer diagnostic plug end
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm looking at speed sensors (VSS) to get an electronic speedometer. Kits are $100+ just for the sending units. Got a sensor on ebay for $3 shipped.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

talljordan wrote:
If it werent for finding it on ebay why not head down to your local scrapper and grab one from there?

Not like there are many salvage yards on Long Island or that there are many 16 year old Saturns laying around.

And I doubt getting one from a salvage yard would be cheaper ($12) or easier (a few click).

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
talljordan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
talljordan wrote:

Not like there are many salvage yards on Long Island or that there are many 16 year old Saturns laying around.

And I doubt getting one from a salvage yard would be cheaper ($12) or easier (a few click).

Oh yeah. I'm so used to living in places with lots of scrap yards with plenty of old cars.

Cali_Army_Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

talljordan wrote:

Then I would have to leave my house and waste gas and time. And worst of all deal with the general public. Much easier to chill at home with a beer and click "buy with PayPal" from my phone.
chaosisme
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ebay is great for buying things and lousy for selling them.

'68 FI Sunroof Squareback

'70 Westy

OCT3 - Orange County Type 3's
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds like you're selling the wrong shit.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whats a guild??
talljordan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cali_Army_Guy wrote:
talljordan wrote:

Then I would have to leave my house and waste gas and time. And worst of all deal with the general public. Much easier to chill at home with a beer and click "buy with PayPal" from my phone.

I definitely agree. But its not like he would have had to buy a whole assembly if ebay hadnt had the clip.

Kirk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:
whats a guild??

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Bear
Coble
Super
Oppenheim
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce wrote:
sounds like you're selling the wrong shit.

X2. We sold things nobody here wanted or were willing to pay a fair price, like antique Schwinn stingrays with 2 speed kick back hubs. If you weren't alive in the 60s you probably draw a blank huh? Or early 70s seiko divers watches, they are bringing over a thousand dollars apiece now Very Happy eBay yes.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh so it's sort of like the lollypop guild......I didnt know they used munchkins to raise&lower the windows any more. did he forget to feed them thier lollypops?
ROCKOROD71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fees for listing and selling on ebay are out of control. You need to either sell big ticket items or do heavy volume to make it worth your time. I can no longer casually list things for sale like I used to, they just charge too much! Paypal fees on top of that! You need to list things super high just to make a decent profit.

Anyhow, Glenn, I sold my 97 Saturn SL1 2 years ago with 275k miles on it, and what did it in was a giant block of ice falling from my friends roof onto the car and caving it in. Thing had passed 300k already. Damn good cars, especially if the front frame isn't rotted away yet (thats the weak point). Sucks about scrapyards in Long Island, I never had trouble getting parts for that car up here, even in Boston's very small auto recycler scene. That car paid for itself ten times over! I also had a friend at a GM dealership who could get me OEM parts for it at a steep discount, so that was nice...

30 years from now, the next guy may not want your girlfriend, but he may want your classic car, depending on how nice you were to it.

asiab3 wrote:

Careful guys, a petulant child can grow up to be president these days.

**winter drivers: no survivors!**rust warrior**#keepbodyshopsbusy**
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ROCKOROD71 wrote:
The fees for listing and selling on ebay are out of control. You need to either sell big ticket items or do heavy volume to make it worth your time. I can no longer casually list things for sale like I used to, they just charge too much! Paypal fees on top of that! You need to list things super high just to make a decent profit.

Do some research, there are ways to reduce the fees.
I get 20 free B-i-N listings and 20 free auctions per month for no listing fee.
Then if you play their game you can get 20% reduced final value fees.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jacks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
talljordan wrote:

Not to mention that the eBay one is likely nos (is it?), with a warranty of sorts, as opposed to a 15 year old used part that could fail on the first try. That's after driving around hell's half acre, trying to find one in good condition, and scraping your knuckels on removal. For what? Saving 5 bucks? You can't even dine at Taco Bell for that much. Confused
talljordan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jacks wrote:
Glenn wrote:
talljordan wrote:

Not to mention that the eBay one is likely nos (is it?), with a warranty of sorts, as opposed to a 15 year old used part that could fail on the first try. That's after driving around hell's half acre, trying to find one in good condition, and scraping your knuckels on removal. For what? Saving 5 bucks? You can't even dine at Taco Bell for that much. Confused

Jesus people. Please read the bolded section.

Glenn made it sound like there were 0 other options if EBay hadn't come through. I was asking what was wrong with scrapyards.

Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

talljordan wrote:
I was asking what was wrong with scrapyards.

Nothing wrong with scrapyards. Here's what's happened in many urban areas of the U.S. Consolidation whereby a few namely one entity LKQ has slowly been buying up the independent recyclers, now they control a greater percentage of the market. They work with insurance companies to only stock parts for the most popular and in demand cars which are mostly cars less than 10 years old. The corporate scrapyards also turn over inventory rather quickly somtimes in thirty to forty five day cycles. The days of letting people wander around pulling their own parts are nearly over.i know some still exist and some specialize in hard to find and collector type parts, like DVAP. Finally the Govt, some cities and municipalities have taken adim view of all these cars laying around and they force those still in business to adhere to many regulations which in turn forces the business to keep only the highest profit parts. It's a vicious cycle and the guy with the 10 yr old car is the loser. If it weren't for SEMA and a few other lobbying groups they would probably tell us we couldn't drive cars over 25 yrs old.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh and eBay is a good deal if you know how to use it. Fees are shitty but you have to work around it up to and including bypassing eBay and dealing direct. Shocked I would concede that it's more favorable to the buyer rather than the seller but then again reread my first sentence.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: