Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Tuning help please.
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
veg-head
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 5:49 am    Post subject: Tuning help please. Reply with quote

I need help, I can't get this thing to run right. New motor 1915 with new carb from Car craft it's a 38mm EGAS Single Carb Kit, they say It's jetted for a 1600 out of the box, anyone have any input on how to get this thing tuned for my set up. I've got a 009 with petronix and flame thrower coil, also what should the timeing be set at, sorry if these questions are vague my fist vw and I'm so frustrated and not sure how to get it running right, any help input or suggestions much appreciated. If there's anyone in the area that could come by and help me out I will pay you for your time. I got allot of time and money in this car and I'm still not able to enjoy it.
doublecanister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 9:45 am    Post subject: Hey Reply with quote

hey Veg-head,

I dont have that setup but in my own experience I've learned that certain carb/dizy combo's just flat out dont play well with each other.

for example,
the 009 dizy and a pict 30/31 carb combo would work with some tuning,
but
the pict 34 carb and a 009 didnt like each other unless you made a carb mod or uppped the idle to compensate.(somthing about plugging a hole in the butterfly) to help eliminate the dead spot.

Timing is another story,
Stock is one thing but if you've modded the motor, the timing marks for stock probably barely run.
That one, unless someone has the exact's from their experience, may be determined from trial and error.

I've read on the samba that the 009 should be about 22degrees advance at 3000-3500 rpm but I'd suggest you search for that info to be sure, this was from memory.

Before I bumped my carb and dizy I did that on my THING with an 009 and pict 30/31, she ran pretty good.

(I'm now running a 1600 with a pict 34 from Volkzbitz and a Single VAdv dizy)

Dont give up!
maybe someone else will post some assistance.
also, any luck in the engine forum maybe??

good luck bro!

T
1966 - Mustang GT- Fastback
1951 - Ford F1 pickup Flathead V8
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a lot of carb for one of these engines. Have no idea how well the engine can be made to idle or run at lower rpm's with this much carb. This is approximately the size of the carb on my 318cid (5.2L) engine.

Do you have the heat riser tubes hooked up? Looking at the Car Craft site, they don't show any preheat tubes, so as shown I can just about guarantied the engine is going to run like crap.
veg-head
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey thanks for the replies, I did find allot of info in the engine section. The kit did come with pre heat tubes. This carb was recommended by the engine builder that built the1915. I just wish he would of broke it in on a stand.
veg-head
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got it running good finally,Ok so it was recommended : Timing set to 30 degrees BTDC at 2800 to 3000 rpm, so that's what I did and the thing is running great, starting good cold and hot and sounds great, going to take it for a ride tonight Smile wish me luck.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: