Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

my '63 sedan project
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
pbenn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:34 am    Post subject: Turn signal switch Reply with quote

Yes, a '63 uses a three-wire switch and '61-down tails use a 6-wire (each separate signal plus brake light relay and turn signal relay).

More generally, nice car. Niggles? Not sure the back side of glovebox should be painted black. Looks like it was oversprayed while in place. A used one would be cheap at the used markets.

Second problem with under the front hood is peeling paint in front of gas tank, and that's a nice little weekend project, especially if you pull the tank and inspect on the way in.
pbenn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:35 am    Post subject: Turn signal switch Reply with quote

Yes, a '63 uses a three-wire switch and '61-down tails use a 6-wire (each separate signal plus brake light relay and turn signal relay).

More generally, nice car. Niggles? Not sure the back side of glovebox should be painted black. Looks like it was oversprayed while in place. A used one would be cheap at the used markets.

Second problem with under the front hood is peeling paint in front of gas tank, and that's a nice little weekend project, especially if you pull the tank and inspect on the way in.
pbenn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: my '63 sedan project Reply with quote

A couple of other things, I guess. If the car is not Sept. to Nov. (approx.) 1962, an early '63, the Wolfsburg Crest hood has been swapped in, maybe by the same owner who backdated the taillights. Early '63s used Oval rear shift rod couplers rather than the modern H-bracket ones, although that may have been changed. Not sure if the long shift rod itself is different '62-'64.

Two smart parts to stock up on are good used window regulators, left and right. They have dates on them, actually! A failed regulator drops the window immediately and you can't lock the car, unless you pull the interior and put in a stick.

Quarter window latch might break, especially the driver's side one (break-ins). They're basically pot metal. It's nice to have a spare, and they're being remanufactured. If you don't already have vent window locks, they're worth it.

Other wearable parts that are nice to have on hand are the driver's door lock and key, the ignition switch and key, and the headlight switch.
Dake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: my '63 sedan project Reply with quote

Great looking car. What's the stats on the engine?
fly. GTI.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: Turn signal switch Reply with quote

pbenn wrote:

Thanks pbenn, my theory is that the switch was changed when the tails were done. I'm in the process of restoring the one that was in the car.

yeah, the top half of the car was sprayed...and not particularly well....it's definitely a 10-20 footer

great advice on the parts, I have a few regulators, and window latches, as my regulators now seem to be stripped in some areas.
fly. GTI.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: my '63 sedan project Reply with quote

Dake wrote:
Great looking car. What's the stats on the engine?

not really sure...it sounds like a hot cam, and dual solexes...when I tear it down, I'm going to measure to see if it's stroked at all. It does get up and boogy when you put your foot in it, so I wouldn't be surprised if it's already stroked.
fly. GTI.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 5:55 am    Post subject: Re: my '63 sedan project Reply with quote

Aside from accumulating parts...progress has been slow until last weekend. I finally had the chance to get to work.

Result: Good, and bad news

Good News: I was able to pull the front end out, and start prepping for the new Airkewld beam/bad series brakes

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Bad News: While I was under it I noticed that the pan is starting to get crispy around the battery tray...so I have floor pan repairs in my future

Hopefully progress will be a bit more steady over the next couple of months...spring is coming all too fast.
MomoMoto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: my '63 sedan project Reply with quote

Sweet bug and MK1. I have an MK7 GTI, and 61' ragtop-would love to add an MK1 someday...need more garage. Like the changes you are making to the 63, thanks for keeping us posted!
fly. GTI.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: my '63 sedan project Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback guys...a bit after the fact, but a few weeks ago (before I had hip surgery) I was able to make some progress.

I got the beam in (finally)

and test fit the new wheels. I decided against the BTRs, be ause my true love is the BRM...so I'll be sticking with them...but also got some 17s

The 7" wide fronts are a a touch too big, so I'm having them narrowed to 5" so I'll be able to lay it out
fly. GTI.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 5:06 am    Post subject: Re: my '63 sedan project Reply with quote

Brought the car to my buddy's shop to get the rear suspension welded in, and found that it's easiest to just pull the body...so we had an unexpected body-off party this weekend

grandpa pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: my '63 sedan project Reply with quote

Great garage !!!!....and the bug is nice too Smile
Suggestion : there have been several threads about the reliability of the red plastic steering coupler ;
For $15 you might want to go back to the black fiber one .
A great suggestion was to replace steering coupler bolts with 2 1/2 inch ones ; if the steering coupler breaks the long bolts will catch the busted mechanism and get you off the road .

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569619&highlight=sedan+delivery
fly. GTI.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: my '63 sedan project Reply with quote

grandpa pete wrote:
Great garage !!!!....and the bug is nice too Smile
Suggestion : there have been several threads about the reliability of the red plastic steering coupler ;
For $15 you might want to go back to the black fiber one .
A great suggestion was to replace steering coupler bolts with 2 1/2 inch ones ; if the steering coupler breaks the long bolts will catch the busted mechanism and get you off the road .

definitely good to know...I may just switch it for peace of mind
samstheman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: my '63 sedan project Reply with quote

Looks like your making good progress.
fly. GTI.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: my '63 sedan project Reply with quote

after a few welder mishaps...we were finally able to get the rear bag brackets welded in.

While the body is off, I'm taking the opportunity to replace all of the brake lines, and cables...they are pretty nasty.

This week, we'll be replacing the crusty floor pan, and getting everything buttoned up.

Then back home for the wiring, and new interior.

fly. GTI.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 5:15 am    Post subject: Re: my '63 sedan project Reply with quote

Some progress this weekend...wrapped up the welding, and chassis coated all of the bare metal.

Also I stripped all of the tarboard off the pans, and cut out the bad section on the passenger side.

fly. GTI.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: my '63 sedan project Reply with quote

Chassis is back on the ground...body goes on this week....then on to wiring.

fly. GTI.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 6:57 am    Post subject: Re: my '63 sedan project Reply with quote

floor pan all buttoned up...body goes on tonight.

rabbit20v
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: my '63 sedan project Reply with quote

Looking good!
fly. GTI.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 6:22 am    Post subject: Re: my '63 sedan project Reply with quote

Thanks!

Brake lines buttoned up, and wrapping up the engine..

new carbs, vintage speed exhaust, fill tune up...and soon to be redone wiring.

fly. GTI.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 5:00 am    Post subject: Re: my '63 sedan project Reply with quote

been plugging away at the details, and while it doesn't look like much, I feel like the devil is in the details (and most of the time and aggravation)

Brakes bled, and working, all new cables, rebuilt the pedal cluster.

I rewired the engine, as many of the wires were either 1/2 assed, or just plain old.

A bit of tweaking, and it fired right up

http://vid138.photobucket.com/albums/q257/b_h_nich...l4oszn.mp4

I decided to run stacks and filters, rather than the big filters

...got it out of the garage for a bath

...and now back in to get the interior sorted.

I'm still waiting on TMI for the new carpet kit...hopefully that comes soon, as I'd like to be cruising by father's day.[/url][/list]
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: