Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

85 Westy restoration and SVX 3.3L swap
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
moovinfast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 3:47 pm    Post subject: 85 Westy restoration and SVX 3.3L swap Reply with quote

Recently purchased a 1985 Westfalia with a blown engine. After searching I figured I would go with the 3.3L SVX engine. I hope that my stock 4 speed transmission will work with it. If not, Ill look into a built 4 speed or 5/6 speed Subaru swap.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I ended up purchasing a 1992 Subaru SVX with 120k miles on the body. But only 60k miles on the engine and a rebuilt or new auto tranny when they did the engine. Its almost a shame that I only want the engine.

I was thinking of going with the SmallCar kit. They look to be the only ones with a complete kit. Ill be trying to order everything for the swap and upgrades in the next week. What else should I replace while the van is down? It looks like almost everything is original with 200k miles. Was going to replace suspension, fuel lines?, upgrade to 4 wheel disc brakes (don't know which yet), Wheels and tires (sizes currently unknown), replace canvas for the pop top, and body and paint will be last after its up and running. Anything else I should think about replacing?

Also, what should I replace on the SVX engine besides the timing belt while its out of the car?
Olympia SVX
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a svx in my van and love it.

if you want to just install the motor and almost never touch it again I would...

1. run the svx up to temp and see if there are any check engine light codes. If so deal with them while it is in the doner car. so you know it is the motor and not your install.

2. while the engine is out on the stand replace:
-timing belt, idlers, water pump and oil pump
-any leaking gaskets, if not leaking don't touch
-spark plugs
-check all vacuum lines and PVC system lines
do this to zero out any periodic maintenance. I never trust the word of the seller.

3. while the motor in still in the svx listen for the svx lifter tick in your valve train. I have a tick and it drives me nuts. the only real way of curing it is to take the cams out and fix the lifter. I am getting ready to pull the motor and fix it myself. believe me fix it now if you have it!

4. clean/service:
-Idle air control valve, electrical connectors,

this may seem like over board but you will never drive enough miles to do any other periodic maintenance on the motor ever again.

and you know you can just throw the motor in and drive it too. these motors are awesome!

good luck

Olympia SVX
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

when I did my conversion I used parts from many different venders. the main thing if you do that is the engine mount needs to be compatible with the exhaust.
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The H6s appreciate a stout transmission.
Subarugears 5 speed is ideal, but a beefed up VW 4 speed works.
The RJES bell housing with 240mm clutch pack is nice if you have a heavy throttle foot.

Make sure to locate extra EG33 parts, you will need them and they can be a bugger to find sometimes.
Forthwithtx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too bad you're in Oregon (or at least that's what the license plate says). I'd straight up swap you for my 170k 1992 SVX and you wouldn't feel bad ripping the engine out of it. It's probably the only really good part left!

Cheers,

Karl
hdenter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The SVX's downfall is it's poor fuel economy. that's what kept me from doing it. If I where to travel his road, I would want a 5spd with a very good overdrive 5th. Until the subagears set up came along I was thinking of using an AAP 5spd and larger tires to drop the RPMs at highway speeds. Good Luck with your project!

Hans
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My H6s get 16-18mpgs all day....in a Syncro....over 100,000 miles on my first conversion and still the same mpgs.

I do not run overly large tires creating more issues than just low mpgs Wink
moovinfast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Olympia SVX wrote:
I have a svx in my van and love it.

if you want to just install the motor and almost never touch it again I would...

Thank you. Ill check and add everything you mentioned to the list. Did you have to upgrade your brakes or tranny? Can you think of anything else that would need to be upgraded for the SVX swap?

Forthwithtx wrote:
Too bad you're in Oregon (or at least that's what the license plate says). I'd straight up swap you for my 170k 1992 SVX and you wouldn't feel bad ripping the engine out of it. It's probably the only really good part left!

Cheers,

Karl

I'm actually located about an hour north of Portland in WA. Both cars did come from Oregon though. But I'm having a dilemma. The SVX is in such good shape, I'm debating about just pulling the engine for the Westfalia and find a wiring harness already pulled from a car. That way I can find another 3.3 engine (rebuild over the summer) and put it back in the SVX to use as a nice winter toy.

hdenter wrote:

The SVX's downfall is it's poor fuel economy. that's what kept me from doing it. If I where to travel his road, I would want a 5spd with a very good overdrive 5th. Until the subagears set up came along I was thinking of using an AAP 5spd and larger tires to drop the RPMs at highway speeds. Good Luck with your project!

Hans

insyncro wrote:

My H6s get 16-18mpgs all day....in a Syncro....over 100,000 miles on my first conversion and still the same mpgs.

I'm coming from a 4x4 Chevy Colorado. So 17mpg in town would be slightly better than I was getting. I think Ill try the stock transmission for now. But when it blows, I'll probably do the Subagears swap. This will hopefully save me a few bucks for now. What size wheels and tires do you guys recommend running? The speed limit here is 70mph and I plan on alot of freeway/mountain pass driving.
Howesight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

insyncro wrote:

Hey Dylan: Are those mileage figures with stock size tires? Stock gearing? What speeds were getting you that mileage. Finally, is your ECU stock?

I can get 16 to 18 mpg (US Gallons) if I stick to 55 to 60 mph OR have a strong tailwind giving the equivalent. If not, then gas mileage drops with wind speed. Tail winds and head winds matter!

To the OP: I suggest that you at least consider a head gasket replacement. It's never easier than when the engine is on your engine stand. If you did so, you could soak the bucket tappets in Marvel Mystery Oil (or the tappet cleaner of your choice) to prevent lifter ticking.

Also, if you decide to use the SmallCar bell housing and clutch and disk (I did), then it is a great idea to go with this clutch pedal/master cylinder set up which makes the SmallCar system work as it should:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1788044

Hang on to your AC fittings that attach to the AC compressor. If you want to get really fancy, since you have a whole SVX, you can strip all the sensors and parts needed for the Subaru climate control, including the Subaru control head and the vent actuators. Adapting them to the Vanagon would be the tricky part.

I found that the best solution for a patch hose between the SVX power steering pump and the Vanagon line is the unit offered by Rocky Mountian Westy. Only their unit was actually quiet - - I tried others.

Unless you go with very large tires, you will find you need to re-gear 4th gear for highway driving. All things considered, if you are keeping this rig long term, I think a Subaru 5-speed from SubaruGears is a superior solution for 2WD Vanagons with big engines. My Syncro cannot use this solution.
FrankenSubySyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am going to do this swap also this winter. I will be using the VW 2WD 4sp trans but am going to rebuild the trans myself. I will keep the stock 0.85 4th gear but change it to a weddle heavy duty one, change the 3/4 slider, add a locking diff, and add a trans cooler like I did for my syncro that sprays oil on the main shaft bearing and 4th gear. I will be running 225/75/16 tires to get the rpms down. I may do a taller 4th but not totally sure yet. I might just put the trans in and see what the rpms are with the stock 4th before I rebuild it.
F & R lockers, decoupler, SS, 6.17 R&P
Trans Cooler
EMPI race prepped 930 CVs and axles
Bilstein coilover front, rear ProComp MX-6066R shocks, 14" hypercoil springs
30x9.5 15" BFG Muds
Custom skid plates
Nose job (custom front bumper) http://www.flickr.com/photos/subyvanagon/sets/72157624970330925/
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howesight wrote:
insyncro wrote:

Hey Dylan: Are those mileage figures with stock size tires? Stock gearing? What speeds were getting you that mileage. Finally, is your ECU stock?

I can get 16 to 18 mpg (US Gallons) if I stick to 55 to 60 mph OR have a strong tailwind giving the equivalent. If not, then gas mileage drops with wind speed. Tail winds and head winds matter!

To the OP: I suggest that you at least consider a head gasket replacement. It's never easier than when the engine is on your engine stand. If you did so, you could soak the bucket tappets in Marvel Mystery Oil (or the tappet cleaner of your choice) to prevent lifter ticking.

Also, if you decide to use the SmallCar bell housing and clutch and disk (I did), then it is a great idea to go with this clutch pedal/master cylinder set up which makes the SmallCar system work as it should:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1788044

Hang on to your AC fittings that attach to the AC compressor. If you want to get really fancy, since you have a whole SVX, you can strip all the sensors and parts needed for the Subaru climate control, including the Subaru control head and the vent actuators. Adapting them to the Vanagon would be the tricky part.

I found that the best solution for a patch hose between the SVX power steering pump and the Vanagon line is the unit offered by Rocky Mountian Westy. Only their unit was actually quiet - - I tried others.

Unless you go with very large tires, you will find you need to re-gear 4th gear for highway driving. All things considered, if you are keeping this rig long term, I think a Subaru 5-speed from SubaruGears is a superior solution for 2WD Vanagons with big engines. My Syncro cannot use this solution.

A big tire to me is 215/75/15 and what I prefer on my converted vans.

I drive 65mph and below.

My EG33s have chipped ECUs...the new EZ platform H6s have aftermarket management.
GreggK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:01 am    Post subject: Re: 85 Westy restoration and SVX 3.3L swap Reply with quote

Hi Guys,
Are your SVX conversions ODDI engine management systems? What is your ground clearance like. Ive only seen one SVX in a Syncro and thought it was closer to the ground than my EJ 2.2 in my 2wd.
Im trying to decide between doing a 1.8T or an SVX in my next van, if I stay with gasoline. Thanks GreggK
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wasserbox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 85 Westy restoration and SVX 3.3L swap Reply with quote

GreggK wrote:
Hi Guys,
Are your SVX conversions ODDI engine management systems? What is your ground clearance like. Ive only seen one SVX in a Syncro and thought it was closer to the ground than my EJ 2.2 in my 2wd.
Im trying to decide between doing a 1.8T or an SVX in my next van, if I stay with gasoline. Thanks GreggK

Having gone the SVX conversion route more recently than when it was popular, I'd probably recommend going with the 1.8T.

Parts selection, availability, and support are less than what they might once have been.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 85 Westy restoration and SVX 3.3L swap Reply with quote

the Syncro has it's driveline mounted ~2in lower than your 2wd.
and if living in or driving at any elevation a turbo motor is > a naturally aspirated motor anyday.

but the turbo brings in a couple new systems that have their own unique needs costs and considerations..

not sure how easy an SVX motor will be to find anymore.. they made a pitiful ~14k+ SVX cars in the production run and many were turned in during C4C years ago now..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Howesight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 85 Westy restoration and SVX 3.3L swap Reply with quote

To Dan's comment about SVX engine availability, I see them for sale (often with donor car still attached) quite frequently here in BC and just across the border in Western Washington.

Unlike a few years ago, many former SVX car enthusiasts now have all kinds of AWD Audi's and sportier WRX cars to feed their car addiction, so demand for SVX engines is at an all-time low. This drives prices lower.

I really like my SVX swap a lot. I am frugal by nature and these engines are very well designed and carefully assembled. Very little goes wrong with them. If something does go wrong, however, the parts are available, but sometimes expensive. My SVX has enough reserve power that altitude power losses are really no problem. I very rarely use full power going through the gears - - it's a VAN, not a sports car.

All things considered, if I had to do a swap again, I, too, would go with the 1.8T, the only downside being the need to raise the engine deck and hence, the bed in my Westy. The availability of 1.8T engines around here is astounding and the prices are excellent. The performance is well-known.

If we did not live in a mountainous area, I would consider a 2.5 Subie, but alas, we have mountains. *Sigh*

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: