Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Studs and acorn nuts or lug bolts?
Forum Index -> Custom Wheel/Tire Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sailorjerry13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 10:32 pm    Post subject: Studs and acorn nuts or lug bolts? Reply with quote

Hi everyone, i bought a '67 bug with 15" Empi Raider wheels. It has studs but yesterday, 2 nuts pulled out along with the studs with the wheel only hanging from 3. I was able to stop when i felt and saw the wheel wobbling. My question is, should i buy a new set of studs and use locktite or buy lug bolts? I've been checking different vw sites and some say i need to use studs for Raiders, other sites sell the wheels with lug bolts the same size as the studs (12mmx1.5)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Gray Oval Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 11:43 pm    Post subject: which way to go ... ? Reply with quote

Howdy - I would also like to know the best answer to the stud / nut question !
Any and all advice appreciated - Gary
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VW used lug bolts, so why argue with the German engineers? I have never had a lug bolt fall off. I bought new lug bolts for my wire wheel hubs & 2.0 liter wheels from http://www.ezaccessory.com/Lug_Wheel_Bolts_s/20.htm
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ive used lugs for years no problems.

ive also used studs for years no problems either...
ps2375
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Studs make wheel installation easier, either should provide about the same holding power. My car has studs and has had them for decades with no issues.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Custom Wheel/Tire All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: