Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Italian 44IDF´s bypassing too much air at idle
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 1:57 pm    Post subject: Italian 44IDF´s bypassing too much air at idle Reply with quote

Hello
I have got a car in the shop for tune up and a couple of repairs.
Now, one of the reasons I got it was that he could not back it down enough to get a decent idle, like 900 rpm or so, unless the timing also was backed down to like 5 degrees AFTER TDC.
I took the carbs off and had a thorough look at them, thinking that something prohibited the butterflys to close. But no. They close as good as can get. I couldnt really find anything wrong with them, so I installed them again, only to experience the same behaviure.
Bypass valves are 100% closed, so that´s not it. It seems that the carburettors are dragging air from somewhere else (!)

Has somebody experienced that issue before ? Cure ?

Thanks
Torben
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
FreeBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What size is the engine?

I am also looking at a similar, but probably different case, here what I found is even though both throttle plates looked like they closed ok, the shaft was warped enough to cause the first progression hole to be ever-so-slightly solicited.

I could never get fron-to-back snail readings even, was even beyond the range of the bypass's flow ability to correct.

orders a new shaft and waiting to see...

What are you seeing on the snail? Doei it still have the choke slider-valve thingys?
MURZI
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure the carbs are not units designed for "single" use....like with holes in throttle plate.

I would also check for vacuum leaks.... Early HPMx's had a bad rep for leaking at the throttle shaft.
45 Dells
A1 sidewinder
Fk44 cam
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a set from an alfa, the throttles had too much end-play, and wore the sides of the throttle plates.
Looked ok at first, but with flashlight on other side I can see gaps all the say around throttle plate!
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Butterflys close, and no slack. Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are making an incorrect assumption that just because the bypass screws are closed, that they are sealing and no air is passing through them. Just sayin'.

Use a snail gauge and figure out which bbl is the one with the problem. It may be more than one FWIW.

Intake leak will also do it.

Please do NOT send me Private Messages through the Samba PM System (I will not see them). Send me an e-mail to john at aircooled dot net

"Like" our Facebook page at
http://www.facebook.com/vwpartsaircoolednet
and get a 5% off code for use on one order for VW Parts ON OUR PARTS STORE WEBSITE, vwparts.aircooled.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my gess would be intake or shaft leak or the bypass screws are sorta afu....or possiably a set of ported heads that went a bit too far. any vacume ports or hoses any where?
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The snail gauge show the same within 0,5.
The bypass srews or seats my be the problem. I replaced the carbs with a Spanish set I had on the shelf this afternoon, because I had dyno time and needed to finish the car for delivery. I will take a very thorough look at them when time permits.
I´ll post the dyno sheet later. It came out quite nice for what it is.

But thanks for chiming in.
T

Last edited by Alstrup on Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:49 am; edited 1 time in total
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

some IDF throttle shafts also leak at the center locations, where it's bushed (no bearings).

Please do NOT send me Private Messages through the Samba PM System (I will not see them). Send me an e-mail to john at aircooled dot net

"Like" our Facebook page at
http://www.facebook.com/vwpartsaircoolednet
and get a 5% off code for use on one order for VW Parts ON OUR PARTS STORE WEBSITE, vwparts.aircooled.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
käfertom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alstrup wrote:
The snail gauge show the same within 0,5.
The bypass srews or seats my be the problem. I replaced the carbs with a Spanish set I had on the shelf this afternoon, because I had dyno time and needed to finish the car for delivery. I will take a very thorough look at them when time permits.
I´ll post the dyno sheet later. It came out quite nice for what it is.

But thanks for chiming in.
T

Any update?Wink
drumbum68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes people strip 'em down for a soak, but don' remove shafts or bearings, bye-bye grease. Older webers used shielded bearings (leak like a sieve w/no grease) instead of sealed like dell'orto.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: