Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Red Light On
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mikes57BuginPA Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 1:24 pm    Post subject: Red Light On Reply with quote

My gen/alt light is staying on.

Normally, I would check the charging system but in this case it might be something else. I recently did the interior over and part of that was sending the speedo out for overhaul. The light did not come on before the speedo was removed. All wires are back where they came from. I did put a new battery.

The car has a 1973 1600 DP in it with a 12v alternator. The only other change is that I put a Custom Autosound radio in that requires a hot wire all the time.

Any ideas??

Edit: The charging system seems OK.....12.6 V DC at idle.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Light did not come on before" as in light never came on or only came on when turning on ignition key and engine not started?

Check your speedo wiring.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The red light did come on as it was supposed before I took the dah apart and sent the speedo out for a rebuild.

I was looking at a wiring diagram on here and if I am reading it right, a black wire comes from the alt/gen and goes into the fuse block. This wire goes from the fuse to the red light in the speedo. Does this sound right?
The only black wire under the hood that is not connected seems to be a good ground wire.

When I started this job I labeled all the wires and took pictures before disassembly but the guy who sold the car to my brother years ago really butchered the wires under the hood.

After my latest attempt the red light does not come on at all. The oil light glows dimly but my oil pressure gauge reads a minimum of 10-15 psi at operating temperature.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mikes57BuginPA wrote:

I was looking at a wiring diagram on here and if I am reading it right, a black wire comes from the alt/gen and goes into the fuse block. This wire goes from the fuse to the red light in the speedo. Does this sound right?
The only black wire under the hood that is not connected seems to be a good ground wire.

Not quite. Black wire goes to the common positive connection that powers all three idiot lights on that part of the speedo. Each of those lights grounds out at the flasher relay and idiot senders to then light up the light.

Notice how the other lights in the speedo have a funky fir tree looking symbol? That shows the grounding point of that circuit.

In Euro wiring a ground should be brown insulated wire. EG check out the wiper motor, horn, etc. brown wires in the wiring diagram.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why does that black wire act as a ground?
Is it that way only with the ignition off??

Edit: So the mystery black wire should be hooked in with the wire that is coming off the fuse block that powers all 3 idiot lights?

Is there a way to test to make sure the black wire under the hood is the same wire that is hooked to the alternator??
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mikes57BuginPA wrote:
Why does that black wire act as a ground?
Is it that way only with the ignition off??

Edit: So the mystery black wire should be hooked in with the wire that is coming off the fuse block that powers all 3 idiot lights?

Is there a way to test to make sure the black wire under the hood is the same wire that is hooked to the alternator??

Does not.

Exactly.

Sure. Disconnect wire at both ends. Get a battery connected to one end of the wire and the body. At other end test for voltage with multi-meter or test light bulb.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Post an image of the wires at the speedo end.

Have you tested the wire to make sure it goes to the alt?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok....here are the results of my efforts yesterday

Removed ground wire from the bottom terminal (the one under the turn signal indicator) and placed the wire from the fuse block in its place. Connected the "mystery wire" from the harness to the alt/gen light bulb. Checked all connections and tightened.

Oil and generator lights now come on when key is turned to first notch. These lights go off when engine is running. I know there is oil pressure and the battery is charging so this is good.

Only remaining issue is the turn signal indicator doesn't flash. I have determined that this is because it isn't grounded.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good job! Just keep at it bit by bit...
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All was well and good except for the turn signal indicator. I took the car out last night and it was running strong. On the ride back home, the red light came back on. It seemed to go out as speed/revs increased. Just a week or so ago I put my multimeter on the battery and it was reading 12.5 - 12.8 DC at idle. Green light flickered too (Oil Pressure is a minimum 10-15 psi when hot at idle.)
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did the red light turn on after you turned on the headlights?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope it was still daylight.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep cleaning, tightening, grease or soldering them connections then.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to put the multimeter back on the battery tonight and see what it's reading now. Who knows, maybe the alternator took a dump last night after all.

Edit - Meter read all over the place.....from 13 down to 9 V DC
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: