Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Distributor not advancing properly?
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:57 pm    Post subject: Distributor not advancing properly? Reply with quote

So yesterday I did a bunch of work on tuning up the engine.

It took a while to get it to run well enough to set the timing, but I got it.

Then I got the carb all set.

Later on, I remembered that I needed to lock down the adjusting screw.

So I did that earlier, but didn't have time to check the timing and made a note to do it later.

Tonight, I started the car up in preparation for it's first drive. Remembered that I needed to double-check the timing. It looked way advanced.

I figured that I just bumped the distributor earlier or something so I tried to just reset it. The engine wouldn't idle with it set that way.

I eventually got it to run OK with the notch set just to the left of the notch at the case half.

I did notice tonight that the notch didn't seem to move forward when I had the timing light aimed at the pulley and I revved up the motor. It would "wobble" a little but that's it.

I have what I believe to be the factory distributor with the large vacuum pot and two vacuum connections. The rear (toward back of car) connection is connected to the left side of the carburetor and the front (of car) connector is connected to the vacuum port of the carburetor that faces back, just to the left of the former EGR port.

That one was soldered closed though the vacuum line was still connected. I cut the soldered end off.

When I suck on the two vacuum hoses, I can see the distributor moving a little. It also seems to hold.

So is this normal behavior? Or is the distributor not working correctly?

I have the 34PICT3 carb, and a Pertronix ignition installed.

Thanks!

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure the mechanical advance portion isn't working. I've done a little more reading and have discovered that the vacuum portion doesn't do a whole lot in reality.

One site suggested a test of the mechanical portion by attempting to turn the rotor and see if it can be turned and if it springs back. Mine doesn't seem to do that.

Short term attempt is I poured some PB Blaster into the distributor to see if that will help at all. Like other parts of the car, it may just be gunked up by some surface rust and dust.

If that doesn't work easily, then I'm pretty sure I've got another distributor or two laying around I can swap in.

1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eh, I just decided to swap the other distrubutor in and see what happened.

Won't be able to drive it for a little bit still, but I was able to feel the advance plate moving before install, and see the spark advancing as I revved the motor when timing it so I think I'm on the right track for sure!

I was going to use that distributor in my Bus, but it'll be a little while until I'm ready for that, so I can rebuilt the one I took out or something in the mean time.

1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Distributors need to be lubed from time to time for everything to move properly. Check Muir or whatever manual you have for the proper procedure. It doesn't hurt to occasionally remove the vacuum can and spray the back side with WD40 to clean out the crud buildup.
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I'll probably have to open it up a little bit to free the advance mechanism now.

Is there some kind of preferred lube for lubricating the distributor? If I ever get to where I install fuel injection in my '73 Bus, I'll need the distributor that is currently in the Thing to put in there.

1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vwwestyman wrote:
Is there some kind of preferred lube for lubricating the distributor? If I ever get to where I install fuel injection in my '73 Bus, I'll need the distributor that is currently in the Thing to put in there.

Motor oil in some spots and other lubes elsewhere, best to refer to the manual.
tasb
The Distributor Distributor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On those later DVDA distributors there is a little oval shaped cover on the side of the distributor. If you pry that off you will have exposed the mechanical advance mechanism. Use regulor motor oil. You may have to remove the distributor to access the cover.

1965 hardtop Deluxe Microbus owned since 1990 M 620 factory 12 v 1500cc

1961 (October)Single Cab- Road Trip Workhorse
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: