Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bed liner interior...
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wetstuff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 2:12 pm    Post subject: Bed liner interior... Reply with quote

I did a search on 'painting' ..and in March '14 Joe made a comment on bed liner being so much easier than paint... For those of you that have done it, is there a way to tone back the PU bed look? Pretty sure there were flat paints in the 1960's but not that molten lava looking finish. I would prefer to end up with a reasonably period correct look.

Rather than pull the body I would like to do a body-on respray. I assume I will need to pull the hood as the seam's beaded seal was painted previously.

The entire windshield is to be replaced anyway but I'd rather not remove the dash if I can avoid it. All the other exterior hardware/trim will be replaced. Any thoughts on how to expedite would be appreciated. I am handy with epoxy and a can shoot decent paint. I just don't want to get bogged down with a full teardown.

Jim
Manx #2614
bruces
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bed liner is very easy to spray ,but if you want something a little toned down you might want to look at gravel guard .You can buy it in spray bombs ,or in larger sizes that you use a Shutz gun to spray ,and it comes in black or tan but can be painted over easily .The gravel guard is a lot smoother than a bed liner ,but wears just fine .If you use the black ,it does show dirt and fading ,but if you leave it black and don't paint it ,you just grab a can and touch it up pretty easily .I found that buying spray bombs from auto paint suppliers was not a smart move ,pros don't use it in a spray bomb so their cans sit forever on the shelves ,so I buy it where more non pros shop for car parts ,and the cans I get from them are fresh and work fine .I also remove the nozzles from the cans ,and soak them in thinner when I am done with a can and save them as many times in the middle of a job the nozzles get plugged up so it's handy to have a spare .
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have sprayed a lot of the black and tinted bed liner, 11 gallon if memory serves correct. From fiddling around with it, if you add a little more activator, it thins it a touch more and can lay down a little smoother. Most people do not realize the interior is bed liner until I point it out.

One cool thing about bed liner on the interior, after 20,000 miles, mine does not show any scuffs/scratches or fading. The paint added to the tintable bed liner gives it a UV protection.

The black bed liner underneath does tend to hold dirt more. I did stumble onto a fix for it. I tried some of the No Touch tire foam on my tires last year and the over spray perked up the underneath bed liner. So, after off roading and getting ready for a show, I clean the underneath, then spray it with that no touch foam for tires and it looks out of the paint booth new again.

Everyone is gifted. Some just do not open the package.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Driftin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Raptor bed liner we used looks great and is not near as rough as expected. We painted it to match the car then used a satin finish to keep it from being as shiny as the outside.

Like Joecool said its hard to tell it's bed liner - looks dam good around the inside/under the fenders of my car.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Skulptorchaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you use a professional company, say Rhino, they can spray it pretty slick. They actually back off on the distance to get more texture. I had the inside and outside of my '62 duelly's inner fender wells shot as well as the floor of the cab and it was about as slick as paint.
I also intend for them to do my wheel wheels.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Driftin wrote:
The Raptor bed liner we used looks great and is not near as rough as expected. We painted it to match the car then used a satin finish to keep it from being as shiny as the outside.

Like Joecool said its hard to tell it's bed liner - looks dam good around the inside/under the fenders of my car.

For some reason, I'm digging your buggy Driftin.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
Driftin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a great color Joecool! - I'm sure the color idea came to me from your killer build and color choices a year before me. The liner really helped me hide many imperfections in my tub.
PaulN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use Upol Raptor bedliner. Great stuff and doesn't fade in the sun. Kit comes with it's own gun. Very nice texture. Comes in black and tintable.
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulN wrote:
Use Upol Raptor bedliner. Great stuff and doesn't fade in the sun. Kit comes with it's own gun. Very nice texture. Comes in black and tintable.

X2

I do like the dri-wall texture gun better than the supplied kit gun. Has better control. I have done all my applications with this $ 17.00 gun.

Wetstuff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drifin/Joe .. Gray and Orange is a great combo. ..and I like U-POL products - so that's a good tip also. Thanks.

Jim
Manx #2614
SamT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This whole car is raptor liner. Bottom side black is paint though. It turned out a couple shades darker than we wanted though.
joem32380
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why would you do that? Crying or Very sad

SamT wrote:

This whole car is raptor liner. Bottom side black is paint though. It turned out a couple shades darker than we wanted though.
SamT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its a true offroad car, paint simply isnt durable enough to drive through brush and stuff.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: