Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Subarugears Bus Build
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mlesniak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love it! Keep us posted. And I gotta admit... before and after cleaning pics are the shit haha. Im planning on doing a subaru swap too. Do you remember where you bought your adapter kit from and for how much???
captincanuck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mlesniak wrote:
Love it! Keep us posted. And I gotta admit... before and after cleaning pics are the shit haha. Im planning on doing a subaru swap too. Do you remember where you bought your adapter kit from and for how much???

I didn't buy any adapter kit. If you are talking about the Subaru reverse crown wheel and pinion kit, well that is from subarugears in Australia; but I haven't bought it yet. It runs $2000 USD delivered. If you plan to do a Subaru engine to Bus transmission conversion then you need an adapter plate from one of the local (US) places that supply them.
Or maybe I misunderstood the question.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

depending what way you look at it, doing the Subaru transmission "saves" you 600 clams on an adapter making the R&P kit more like 1400 seeing you don't have to buy the adapter set up

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
mlesniak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You got it haha.

Oh so if i use the subarugears transmission modification with a subaru ej22 or ej25 then i wouldnt need the adapter kit (clutchplate and flywheel)

But if i used the OG bus transmission then i would need the adapter kit right (clutchplate and flywheel)???

I have a 1973 transporter and am looking to doing the swap this year. Trying to gain all info possible.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mad

no...

a Subaru engine bolts to.....a Subaru transmission!

a Subaru engine + adapter bolts to a vw transmission

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
captincanuck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
depending what way you look at it, doing the Subaru transmission "saves" you 600 clams on an adapter making the R&P kit more like 1400 seeing you don't have to buy the adapter set up

You also save on having to re-gear you bus transmission, which doesn't mate up in an ideal torque-rpm kind of way to the Subaru. All the info is out there and detailed in great depth by people much smarter than me, but basically your bus was happy doing 70mph at 4000rpm but a Subaru does not like that. It's much happier around 3000rpm. So you can re-gear your bus transmission, put huge tires on your bus, or save the headache and just keep the Subaru transmission. Spoiler alert, I'm keeping the Subaru Wink
That wasn't directed at you Skills. I just thought it added to your "saves" comment.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing

true, but I have a perfect 4 speed in my bus. 5 speed would be more fun for sure.

having done this, I still say a trans with 091 gearing 1-4 would be ideal with a bit taller of a 5th.

it's all about keeping the engine in its power band...

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
mlesniak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea ........ Lol that was my question. Solid....

So if i plan on having an EJ22-25 in my bus with the subaru manual trans then ill have to modify the trans a bit and then set my gearing correctly to make the subarus rpms happy ? Those would be my only major concerns eh?

Btw Ive watched all of busarus swap videos on youtube and am in college for automtive technology right now (just started last week) ill have access to many tools and such. Which will hopefully help me sail a little smoother with this swap.
captincanuck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mlesniak wrote:

So if i plan on having an EJ22-25 in my bus with the subaru manual trans then ill have to modify the trans a bit and then set my gearing correctly to make the subarus rpms happy ? Those would be my only major concerns eh?

If you go with the Subaru transmission then no gearing monkey business is required. The gearing modifications (typically a taller 4th gear in a 091) only come into play if you mate a Subaru engine to a bus transmission via an adapter plate. If the Subaru engine is attached to a Subaru transmission then the whole drive train is Subaru and all the gearing stays as stock (that's my understanding at least). You need to modify the Subaru transmission to output the opposite direction (that's what the gear and pinion kit does) so you don't have 5 speeds in reverse and one forward. Or you can buy a modified transmission from Subaru gears for $4000 delivered
mlesniak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh ohkay got it. And ive watched videos and read posts about modifiying the subarus trans slightly. Looks pretty tricky but it can be done! Haha ! this really pumped me up to finally do my own subaru conversion. Ive been researching it since even before i had my bus lol SmileSmile keep us posted on your swap process
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reading this thread and the comments makes me think that using the engine and transmission from a wrecked Subaru with a conversion kit may well have been less expensive than my TDI conversion, in which I used Mexican parts in place of an adapter plate and had the transmission regeared. The trans did need rebuilt anyway so part of that cost was offset, but I also changed 3rd and 4th gear and the R/P with some kind of upgrade done to it too.

I also upgraded the wheels and tires as I was trying to avoid regearing for a while.

But I do like the TDI engine in general and now that the cooling issues seem to be sorted, I do like the conversion a lot more!

The Vanagon engine in my '73 is really running great, but I've been thinking about what I'll do when that engine eventually gets worn out...

Hopefully it'll work at least long enough for me to work the bugs out of the first conversion... Then I can benefit from my own R/D and not have to try the same things over and over.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
captincanuck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great build VWWESTYMAN. Thought I was following all the bus conversion threads, but must have missed yours. I guess I'm not the greatest when it comes to using the search button. Wink
Glad your cooling issues are sorted out, and thanks for posting you progress. Looks like you are another supporter of under the bus cooling. I am 99.99% sold on it. The only thing keeping me from committing that last 0.01% is that I would love to keep my perfectly functioning BA6 system. It gets cold up here in the great white north. Ah.
Maybe I will be able to figure a way to have both. But that is way down the road.
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

captincanuck wrote:
Great build VWWESTYMAN. Thought I was following all the bus conversion threads, but must have missed yours. I guess I'm not the greatest when it comes to using the search button. Wink
Glad your cooling issues are sorted out, and thanks for posting you progress. Looks like you are another supporter of under the bus cooling. I am 99.99% sold on it. The only thing keeping me from committing that last 0.01% is that I would love to keep my perfectly functioning BA6 system. It gets cold up here in the great white north. Ah.
Maybe I will be able to figure a way to have both. But that is way down the road.

Thanks!

Yes, I'd say I've converted to the under Bus mount camp for sure!

I looked through the gallery to find a pic of a mounted BA6, dang, those are huge! I was thinking maybe you could mount the rad forward of it, but there doesn't look to be room!

While you'd lose the preheat the bus ability, with a watercooled motor, you can easily add watercooled heaters so keeping the BA6 would be less necessary.

1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good so far. Got to have clean parts anyway Wink

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tristessa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vwwestyman wrote:
While you'd lose the preheat the bus ability, with a watercooled motor, you can easily add watercooled heaters

Once the watercooled heaters are in place, you could also add a Webasto Thermotop or Eberspächer Hydronic, both of which heat and circulate the coolant and can easily be run from a timer to preheat your rig in the morning. Used ones are relatively affordable on ebay.de and easy to find .. finding a seller willing to ship out of the EU is another matter.

I bought a Hydronic B5WSC from a gentleman in Berlin to add to my '75 for winter camping, but the water pump was damaged in shipping. Not the seller's fault, it was well packed but arrived looking like it'd been hit with a forklift. Deutsche Post said the claim had to be submitted to the USPS, USPS said it had to be submitted to Deutsche Post... argh...
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tristessa wrote:
vwwestyman wrote:
While you'd lose the preheat the bus ability, with a watercooled motor, you can easily add watercooled heaters

Once the watercooled heaters are in place, you could also add a Webasto Thermotop or Eberspächer Hydronic, both of which heat and circulate the coolant and can easily be run from a timer to preheat your rig in the morning. Used ones are relatively affordable on ebay.de and easy to find .. finding a seller willing to ship out of the EU is another matter.

I bought a Hydronic B5WSC from a gentleman in Berlin to add to my '75 for winter camping, but the water pump was damaged in shipping. Not the seller's fault, it was well packed but arrived looking like it'd been hit with a forklift. Deutsche Post said the claim had to be submitted to the USPS, USPS said it had to be submitted to Deutsche Post... argh...

Now that is an interesting idea. Is there something that allows the heater fans to run to blow the warm air into the car?

A much simpler option would be a block heater. Still wouldn't preheat the bus, but you wouldn't have to wait very long for the heater water to heat up after driving. One could probably rig up a bunch of stuff to circulate coolant and run the heater fans and all that I guess.

Or you could have a space heater in the bus, and have it and the block heater running. The space heater would warm up the inside while it sits, and then once you start driving the warm engine would provide heat.

1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
tristessa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vwwestyman wrote:
Now that is an interesting idea. Is there something that allows the heater fans to run to blow the warm air into the car?

There's an "on" signal that's meant to turn on the heater fans via a relay after the unit has run a few minutes to warm up the coolant. Parking heaters have become pretty common/standard in the northern parts of Europe just like heated seats.
captincanuck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some excellent heating options to consider. I really only use the BA6 when camping and the temps drop down below freezing during the night. It's nice to be able to flick the switch and turn the bus into a toaster. Puts me right back to sleep (or could that be a CO leak?). Anyway back to the business at hand. Just picked up my timing belt/water pump kit from across the river (the Niagara river that is) and will be getting on that job this weekend.
tristessa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep us posted. I'm very happy with my I-4 VW swap, but I've also got an EJ25D that needs head gaskets sitting in the garage and a couple friends who have Busses without good engines...
captincanuck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So wine/cider season has been slowing down bus progress but not that much. Had a heck of a time getting the oil pump apart to clean it out before I put the timing bits on. Finally had a chance to get out to the Canadian version of Harbor Freight Tools "Princess Auto" and pick up some jumbo Allen keys to take it apart for cleaning. Mission accomplished. One thing that has been getting on my nerves that I can't find an answer for is, and I might just have to ask this in a Subaru form but what the heck; why do my heads only have one exhaust port, per side?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Everyone doing these conversions with the same engine (EJ22) has used and sells an exhaust header with 2 ports on each side. Even the Subaru dealer gave me gaskets with two hole in them (and I gave him the VIN) Grrrrr. Anyone know what might be going on here. It's worth a shot.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Jump to:
Page 2 of 16

Jump to: