Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Flywheel weight and the street. HOW light is TOO light
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DreamWeaver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 5:19 am    Post subject: Re: Flywheel weight and the street. HOW light is TOO light Reply with quote

what I've noticed driving my previous 1600 daily with both lightened and stock weight FW is that (from a user point of view) with a stock FW all power is at the bottom end (short shifting to go faster) BUT with the lighted FW the power seems to be spread out (the gears seem longer, rev out each gear) >> which is in a round about way, saying what has already been stated.

HOWEVER

My reason for posting is that I'm interested in finding a happy medium >> finding the weight of a stock FW and the weight of a light FW and dividing the difference, with the hope of achieving the best of both words.

Does this seem like a reasonable idea - for happy street/street race/cruise/daily driver use?
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: Flywheel weight and the street. HOW light is TOO light Reply with quote

the only good way to see is change them out with no other mods or changes. I personaly would like a flywheel weight inbetween the std& lightweight. be nice if they sold the 8 dowel chromoly std weight too.
coonhunter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: Flywheel weight and the street. HOW light is TOO light Reply with quote

Maybe you could get a flywheel that had moveable weights on it under spring pressure. As your RPM increased, the weights would move to the outside. That way when you are at low RPM it would act more like a light flywheel, and at high rpm it would be like a heavy flywheel.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Flywheel weight and the street. HOW light is TOO light Reply with quote

I have a 6lb flywheel on my engine. Revs like crazy.

Light flywheels will expose poor carb tuning, which is covered up with heavy flywheels. But if the carbs are tuned well, the light flywheel drives "more fun".

Please do NOT send me Private Messages through the Samba PM System (I will not see them). Send me an e-mail to john at aircooled dot net

"Like" our Facebook page at
http://www.facebook.com/vwpartsaircoolednet
and get a 5% off code for use on one order for VW Parts ON OUR PARTS STORE WEBSITE, vwparts.aircooled.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bama Dave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Flywheel weight and the street. HOW light is TOO light Reply with quote

coonhunter wrote:
Maybe you could get a flywheel that had moveable weights on it under spring pressure. As your RPM increased, the weights would move to the outside. That way when you are at low RPM it would act more like a light flywheel, and at high rpm it would be like a heavy flywheel.

Now that is interesting!

1970 Beetle
1971 Super
1972 Baja

hellthorne wrote:
First off, I know i made stupid decisions that led to my predicament, so while you are welcome to tell me that I am an idiot for doing the things I did, please know that I am already aware of this.
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Flywheel weight and the street. HOW light is TOO light Reply with quote

coonhunter wrote:

It really seems like you just read a few internet pros and cons that have been posted, and just brewed-up your own internet solution. (no matter the fact that its totally un-realistic and will never happen).

If you have, or get experience driving the same engine with both, you will find out your own opinion and truly see why you have it. (and you wont need the centrifugal weight flywheel idea).

The worst issue on the internet, is people take only a few "black and white" pieces of data, and try to solve a problem.
[email protected] MPH 1/4 Mile & 8.1 @ 83.7MPH in 1/8 Mile with Mild Type 1 VW Mag Case 2234cc commuter engine in stock weight bug w/only .491 total lift(CB2292 Cam), 42x37 heads, 48idf's, Street tires, Belt on, Mufflers, Pump gas, video of the run here: https://youtu.be/M3SPqMOKAOg

Transmission by MCMScott:
Rhino case, Klinkenberg 4.12, Superdiff, 002 mainshaft with 091 first idler. Weddle 1.48 Third & 1.14 Fourth.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Flywheel weight and the street. HOW light is TOO light Reply with quote

why not some clutches already do that Shocked and some are even tunable.those are oh so sweet. kinda pricey too.
coonhunter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Flywheel weight and the street. HOW light is TOO light Reply with quote

I actually just said that as a Joke.

As mentioned, there are slipper clutches that work in the same way: more grip at high rpm, less at low, so that you can slip it some at lower rpm and it will grip well on the top end.
58ragman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: Flywheel weight and the street. HOW light is TOO light Reply with quote

whats a stock 1600 dual port fly weight from the factory? Anybody know or have access to specs
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Flywheel weight and the street. HOW light is TOO light Reply with quote

18lbs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: