Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

2004 Jetta Timing belt. AND 5TH GEAR CHANGE
Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
RED7654
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 12:19 pm    Post subject: 2004 Jetta Timing belt. AND 5TH GEAR CHANGE Reply with quote

I have a 2004 Jetta TDI. It just turned 53 thousand miles.
Does anyone on here know if it has the 60 k timing belt or the 90 k timing belt.
It is the later motor that they put in the 2004 jetta's

I was also told that you can change out the fifth gear and get a higher gear. Has any one tried this and is it worth it?

As always and and all help appreciated.

Robert Exclamation
jmartin7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not that familiar with tdis but I believe that it is around 80k miles. However the car is almost 12 years old and the original timing belt is overdue by age. The belt is rubber and will dry rot just like the tires will. Also when timing belt is changed make sure that the water pump is also changed at the same time. These usually fail around the same time as the timing belt and the belt has to be off to change it anyway. A good source for timing belt parts is http://www.dieselgeek.com/ . I used them when I did the timing belt on my 1.8t Beetle. They have kits that will have everything you need including new coolant.
http://www.dieselgeek.com/2004_and_2005_Jetta_BEW_TDI_Timing_Belt_Kit_s/1822.htm

The fifth gear swap is what many people will do to gas powered cars or cars that have been modified. On a stock tdi I don't think it would be worth it. Here is a pdf on the swap. http://www.benricci.com/files/gearswap.pdf
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's officially a 100,000 belt, but as jmartin7 stated 11+ years is a bit long for a rubber belt. Be aware that a fifth gear upgrade on 04 & newer may result in an incorrect ratio code that can disable your cruise control. Not all experience this but many have. A taller 5th will decrease revs & increase MPG, if your area is mostly flat, but if it's hilly you can lose MPG due to increased load or having to downshift.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
RED7654
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help and info. It is appreciated.

Robert
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: