Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Judson 1200 40hp still running hot.
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
steven wardlaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:45 am    Post subject: Judson 1200 40hp still running hot. Reply with quote

I have a 1200 40hp (rebuilt with all German parts) and added a Judson Supercharger back in April. Since adding the Judson I've been chasing the hot running engine problem. I drilled the main jet to .054 inches which should be the spec for the recommended 135 main. I run non alcohol premium gas and had to back the timing down to stop the pinging. I added the fram remote filter to filter the oil and add capacity to the oil supply. I took the car out in 95 degree heat last weekend and when after about a 200 mile trip the gas was boiling in the float bowl. I've added a phenolic spacer under the carb and it still boiled the gas. I tried the tennis ball under the deck lid and it's still hot. I pulled the #1 plug and it was almost white (lean). I've now opened the main up to .058 the spec for a 140 main. I also added a Porsche 356 oil cooler and reset the timing back to 7.5 btdc. My question is would it also help to change the crank pulley over to the late 1600 "D" pulley to increase the fan speed slightly?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
thomas.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe try a colder spark plug. What plug are you running ?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
avus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 8:43 am    Post subject: overheating Reply with quote

This may be way off and too obvious, but it looks like you have nice new firewall insulation installed. I have seen that stuff soften when warm, to the point that it sags and gets sucked into the cooling fan. When it cools it retreats a little and is difficult to notice. Might be worth checking. Good luck.
OLD VW NUT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done this with a 40hp motor years ago with a 1500 fan and it worked IIRC - maybe you could shoehorn a 1600 35mm fan inside the 40hp shroud? Another idea would be to add a doghouse oil cooler. Adding the larger fan would require more air than the stock venting under the back window could supply - and the easiest option is the convertible engine cover and they tend to be a bit expensive. Maybe you have a body shop that does louvers?

You could try removing the front firewall tin. I've read in several threads that guys have removed that tin with good results in reducing engine/oil temps. If you drive in inclement weather it might not be such a good idea since that gap will be picking up air and rain/snow etc from very low to the road - and dirt coming up from the tires. A look under any daily driver shows how dirty that air is.

Other car - 2013 VW Golf TDI
steven wardlaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hot engine is now fixed ( I HOPE )! I open up the main jet to .058 and the mixture looks better. The plugs are still slightly on the light grey side but better. I added the 356 Porsche oil cooler and also set the timing at 7.5 BTDC. The crankshaft pulley was also changed to the later 1600 7" pulley to gain some fan speed over the stock 6-5/8" 40hp pulley. I drove to our local cars and coffee this weekend and the heat was way better. I could lay my hand on top of the Judson without too much discomfort. I only use top grade non alcohol gas. I will do a oil temp check this week. So far the car has never ran better. Thanks guys.
kerthomson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Judson 1200 40hp still running hot. Reply with quote

update on the running hot issue?

Looking at installing a Judson on a 1600. Did yours make a HUGE difference?
I read that they only really kick in during harder acceleration and have little impact when doing less.

I also am interested in AC, but if I do that or the Judson, looks like the install of either will be a bear.

Thank you.
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 12:38 am    Post subject: Re: Judson 1200 40hp still running hot. Reply with quote

kerthomson wrote:
update on the running hot issue?

Looking at installing a Judson on a 1600. Did yours make a HUGE difference?
I read that they only really kick in during harder acceleration and have little impact when doing less.

I also am interested in AC, but if I do that or the Judson, looks like the install of either will be a bear.

Thank you.

Won't do much for a 1600cc engine. They were made for the 1200cc engine, the 1600 is a step too far.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kerthomson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 6:50 am    Post subject: Re: Judson 1200 40hp still running hot. Reply with quote

Thank you John. Will not do the Judson then.
panel888
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Judson 1200 40hp still running hot. Reply with quote

I old man I knew was service manager and test drove everything that would put them on new he raced his hole life from fv to fotmula firebird rip art brow he stated all that was made more noise.
pig-pen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: Judson 1200 40hp still running hot. Reply with quote

panel888 wrote:
I old man I knew was service manager and test drove everything that would put them on new he raced his hole life from fv to fotmula firebird rip art brow he stated all that was made more noise.

wha?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: