Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1974 German Army Thing
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
strelnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

icemanhd wrote:
Thanks for the Info strelnik! It did come with a double pulley but the 24V alternator isn't there although I suspect it was there at one time since it has the double pulley. I did get some info from the previous owner that he changed the symbols to what he thought was a mountain division and that the original symbol had the horizontal line with 2 dots at the top and there was an "X" in the box which he understood to be infantry.

You are absolutely right X across the entire box means infantry, the idea is the line of the X = crossed rifles in simple symbology
strelnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

icemanhd wrote:
Thanks for the Info strelnik! It did come with a double pulley but the 24V alternator isn't there although I suspect it was there at one time since it has the double pulley. I did get some info from the previous owner that he changed the symbols to what he thought was a mountain division and that the original symbol had the horizontal line with 2 dots at the top and there was an "X" in the box which he understood to be infantry.

You are absolutely right!! X across the entire box means infantry, the idea is the line of the X = crossed rifles in simple symbology
HUGO bOSS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

icemanhd wrote:
Finally figured out (thanks to Zeke's help and translation) how to get the light switch into the convoy (covert) mode using the "Notek" convoy lights. See pics below showing conventional nighttime lights and the covert/convoy mode. There are 3 (Hella) convoy lights on the back, when activated you are supposed to be able to see only 1 of them at 75 ft, 2 at 50 ft, and when 25 ft or closer all 3. There are also some downward projecting lights on the front of the car but I think the bulbs for those are out.

I searched and searched onlineand didn't find the "trick" for the lights switch. There is a small button on the shaft of the switch you have to press in (like with a key or small phillips) which allows you to move the lock out from the right side of the switch to the left. Once you do that you can move the switch into the various covert night time modes. The switch itself is shown in figure 49 and 50 in the German Army Manual posted in the manuals section here
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/1983_1...ge_062.jpg

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Great car! Fantastic!

I'm also restoring one from BW... I have looking for several information on the net for several years and found this sometime ago:

http://www.rk-reinstetten.de/berichte/taktische_zeichen/Taktische_Zeichen.pdf

Yours isn't there... Rolling Eyes

About the rear lights... the midle one should be for the brakes...
Bugs4Life
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 German Army Thing Reply with quote

Nice find, very few of these in the States, and hard to find parts for them. I ship a lot of parts in from Germany for mine. Let me know if you are looking for anything. Also try sending away for it's Birth Certificate. It took me little more than 10 months to get mine, but was worth it.

icemanhd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 German Army Thing Reply with quote

I'm "in the queue" for the birth certificate, paid for it September 10th last year but understand with their current backlog it could take "up to" 9 months. Lately I have had the thing over at my retired VW mechanic/buddys place to address some minor rust repair on the LH rocker and hit any vulnerable areas with POR 15 for future protection.

Had a minor hunt to track down the replacement bulbs for the headlamps (not sealed beam units like on US spec cars) but after some searching found some Hella H83190001 S11 45/40W Bulbs for $4 each
76 912E
87 911 Carrera
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
icemanhd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: 1974 German Army Thing Reply with quote

Finally, 6.5 months later the birth certificate arrives and confirms the engine is original. Odd-interesting that it showed the car delivered to Germany as "personal" given that it has bundeswehr acquisition stickers on it. Also puzzling on the M85 "doubling of the serially intended gasoline amount" I assume this refers to the auxiliary tank.

76 912E
87 911 Carrera
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SilverThing Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 German Army Thing Reply with quote

Glad you finally got yours. I'm still waiting on the one for my 1973 Thing.

Yours is certainly puzzling. I would have expected option code M63 to be listed on yours and it is interesting that they list the colors as olive and the destination as personal.

The description on your code M051 is interesting to me. The microfiches I have list 051 as preparation for second alternator. Minor difference, but it makes yours sound like an industrial engine. LOL

M060 and M552 are because yours is a 1974. The military typically ordered them without engine heat, but with a gas heater. Engine heat was standard 1974 and later and the gas heater was optional. Prior to 1974 there was no engine heat available and the gas heater was standard.

M267 is also interesting to me. They call it a motorway radio. In the 181 microfiches I have it is listed as a different final drive ratio (4.375). Check your transmission code for me. I'd be willing to bet it is GA. The option was supposedly discontinued after 1974, but many factory brochures I have in my collection still list the optional final drive ratio.

M085 takes the cake as far as interesting is concerned. I can't find any reference to it in any of my microfiches. The description sounds to me like an enlarged gas tank that is twice as big as normal, but that would be a little bit crazy in a 181. Maybe it is the spare tire can, but that is normally included under M63.
SilverThing Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 German Army Thing Reply with quote

I did some poking around online and M085 seems to refer to the amount of fuel that VW would put in the fuel tank when it left the factory. The assumption is that this is intended for vehicles that need to be driven for delivery (driven off of a train for example).
icemanhd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: 1974 German Army Thing Reply with quote

Thanks to K-mann at Romtoc I have a new Olive Drab top for the German Army Thing putting it back to its original glory. No surprise, it turns out olive drab isn't a popular top color for convertibles. I checked with TMI and several other places, nobody wants a green top......

76 912E
87 911 Carrera
ente_kaefer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 German Army Thing Reply with quote

SilverThing wrote:
The description on your code M051 is interesting to me. The microfiches I have list 051 as preparation for second alternator. Minor difference, but it makes yours sound like an industrial engine.
Take a look at the lower pulley, if it has two grooves instead of one, it is set up for the second generator to generate 24 volts needed for NATO radios. There may also be a bracket to the left of the engine for the second generator.
ente_kaefer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 9:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 German Army Thing Reply with quote

Also, take a look under the left side of the rear seat, there should be a bracket to install a second 12 volt battery, there is one present on my US 1973 Thing, made in Mexico.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: