Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Boring Porsche 82.5 cylinders
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Low Bräu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 1:48 pm    Post subject: Boring Porsche 82.5 cylinders Reply with quote

Who here has had success boring out 82.5 mm Porsche 356 cast iron cylinders to 83 mm in order to fit pistons from a 40HP big bore kit? I spoke to my machinist today who was a little concerned about boring the cylinders such a small amount and keeping them round. Especially if the cylinders are very worn to start with. He said he could try it but no guarantees it would work out as planned. He's familiar with VW and Porsche motors so I trust his advice. I was expecting him to say that it would be an easy job but he didn't sound very confident about doing it.

Thanks
Josh
(321) 449-4665

Specializing in repair and maintenance for Porsche, BMW, Mini, Audi, and Volkswagen.

1952 Standard Beetle
1960 SO-23 Westfalia
1961 L-380 Turkis Deluxe Beetle
1985 Vanagon Country Homes Camper (work in progress - EG33 swap)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Low Bräu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So no one here has tried this? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?
(321) 449-4665

Specializing in repair and maintenance for Porsche, BMW, Mini, Audi, and Volkswagen.

1952 Standard Beetle
1960 SO-23 Westfalia
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
alanhall
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back in the day Ray Litz (competition Engineering) bored some 82.5 912 cylinders to 83 to use a set of oversize pistons. No trouble at all.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mr. Motorhead
Mad Scientist

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not use the Porsche pistons as well if you have them? Get a set of AA performance H beams with the 22mm small end and you are all set.
Check out the Bonneville project:
http://aircooledresearch.com/docs/thebonnevilleproject.html#

"All limitations are self imposed."
Some Chinese guy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Low Bräu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Motorhead wrote:
Why not use the Porsche pistons as well if you have them? Get a set of AA performance H beams with the 22mm small end and you are all set.

It's not that easy, the pistons and jugs are well worn and used up. Also the pistons are not right for the job. They are domed and have valve reliefs. I suppose one could make them work but they are not right for my project. I have a call in to another machinist, just waiting for a call back.
(321) 449-4665

1952 Standard Beetle
1960 SO-23 Westfalia
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

should be no issue if he has the right equipment to do it with. if it's wore a lot you center up in the highest wear aera or close to it. or just hone over size.use torque plates if possiable.
Low Bräu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, that's what I was expecting to hear. Thanks, Mark.
(321) 449-4665

1952 Standard Beetle
1960 SO-23 Westfalia
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

remember boring 1/2 mm is only .010" per side, so...it kinda needs to be centered pretty close in the high wear area if there wore a lot, but thats done when your are boring. honing over size is hard to re center as it will fallow the exzisting(orignal) bore for the most part. cylinders rarly wear the same all the way around.
TomSimon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your local machinist is using phrases like "I don't know if I can keep them round... too thin... no guarantees..." stuff like that, he doesn't want the work, the headache, the risk, etc, find another guy.

Or just call Matt,(Mr. Motorhead) above ^^^^
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mr. Okrasa Premium Member
Original Old Speed

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here you go. 912 biral cylinders bored/honed for 83.50mm 40hp pistons. Ta-da! Piece 'O cake. Cool

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

See my Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/okrasa/

1959 VW Karmann Ghia Coupe / Bamboo-Green / Denzel 1300cc / OG. owner, paint Wink

Denzel engine running. See this link: https://youtu.be/DgUlsQDTXTE

VW www.Okrasa.com
356 www.PreA356.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Boring Porsche 82.5 cylinders Reply with quote

Ok folks im looking for info and thoughts ...i got a good deal on some porsche 356 1500cc 3 piece case 80mm aluminum cylinders these I know can be open up for 83mm pistons...im not building a 36hp okrasa but a 40hp okrasa and was thinking of using them what are your thoughts it's just I'm a big fan of the aluminum cylinders than cast iron .. do you guys thinking I would have any problems ?????
gimmesomeshelter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Boring Porsche 82.5 cylinders Reply with quote

Are the aluminum cylinders plated or do they have a cast iron liners?

Cheers,

Paul

Richard Feynman
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Boring Porsche 82.5 cylinders Reply with quote

Well back in the day, they were plated.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Boring Porsche 82.5 cylinders Reply with quote

gimmesomeshelter wrote:
Are the aluminum cylinders plated or do they have a cast iron liners?

Cheers,

Paul

These porsche 1500cc "A" 80mm were used for a bit from 1955 -1957 so there more rare not seen as much ...there all aluminum ..no cast iron liners ....
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Boring Porsche 82.5 cylinders Reply with quote

http://support.lnengineering.com/2014/02/27/the-secrets-behind-nickies/
gimmesomeshelter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Boring Porsche 82.5 cylinders Reply with quote

If they're all aluminum, you'll have to replete them after they're opened up. The last time I checked (10 years ago), the plater LN uses charged $1000 for a set of 4 cylinders.

Cheers,

Paul

Richard Feynman
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Boring Porsche 82.5 cylinders Reply with quote

gimmesomeshelter wrote:
If they're all aluminum, you'll have to replete them after they're opened up. The last time I checked (10 years ago), the plater LN uses charged $1000 for a set of 4 cylinders.

Cheers,

Paul

So do you see any problems useing theses on a 40hp case .. I know lots will say buy 40hp 83mm cylinders or type2 /3 1500cc 83 cylinders.
But I have these aluminum ones and was thinking hey why not ... I know I would have to modify the cylinders a bit for the head studs... but notice there would be a bigger opening between them would it be a problem ...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: