Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

resurecting a thing - part sources
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
lqqkatjon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:04 am    Post subject: resurecting a thing - part sources Reply with quote

Hoping I am trailering home a thing on Saturday. Solid handshake deal last weekend, but money and title did not change hands, but plans were made for me to come out with trailer on saturday because it has been stored since the 80's so who knows what is up. It looks pretty good shape, and better then some that I looked at recently that were current drivers.

My intent is to run through the Brakes first, and I am wondering on if I should buy the brake kit from TTS. or if I should go to Napa/local and buy the parts there? Brazilian master vs other brands?

I will have the drums pulled by the end of the day when it comes home, and see how the metal parts are. But I still intend on replacing the master cylinder, wheel cylinders, brake linings, spring kit, and rubber hoses right away. the rest(adjusters, ect) will be inspected/cleaned, and only replaced if needed. napa has wheel cylinders for $10.99 vs TTS for $26.00. I am sure TTS are a higher quality, but what is everybody's thoughts on that? I am sure i will get lots of answers.

This is not going to be a car-show barret jackson Thing. My intent is to drive and use the VW Thing.
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got my Thing going after having sat since approximately 1990.

I used the German brake kit from TTS, and was impressed with the quality as well as how everything was packaged neatly and all that.

I did not replace the drums, though I sanded off the surface rust that was inside them.

I found rust and corrosion in every brake part, so I would say plan to replace the master and slave cylinders and rubber lines for sure. Ports and fittings on the master were clogged with rust, and there was zero brake fluid in the system. I don't know exactly where it went but it was gone.

Also the reservoir had cracks, so I replaced it and the rubber hoses between it and the master.

I was able to successfully run some brake cleaner and pressurized air through the metal brake lines and that seems to have been fine.

I also replaced the whole fuel system except the cap and metal line front to back. All of that was similarly filled with rust.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
doublecanister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:20 am    Post subject: worth the effort? Reply with quote

I've had luck with my 2 recent vehicles with freeing up seized brakes and cylenders and them working fine afterwards,

the 73 thing's rear brakes were frozen,
I pulled the rear cylenders apart, cleaned with a mini wire wheel inside with plenty of wd40, then cleaned with brake cleaner and washed em out good with new dot 3, reassembled and they have been fine.

on the 51 Ford,
pretty much poured in brake fluid and drained the system, brakes arent great (prob bad MC) but they work.
not bad for sitting for 19years huh?

try it worst case you'll only need to replace what's really bad.

In my younger days i would have never tried to fix old brakes and was suprised I did on the THING, then did it on the 51.

anyways, try to stay with German replacements if available, Napa's got decent brake parts too.

I replaced my Thing's front's with 15in disc brake calipers (front only) after my first drive i almost took out 2 mailboxes slamming on brakes, so the disc's went on shortly after!

put up some pic's when ya can and good luck bro!

T
1966 - Mustang GT- Fastback
1951 - Ford F1 pickup Flathead V8
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really thought about trying to fix just the "bad" parts of the brake system. However, last year I resurrected my '73 Bus that had been sitting for 10 or 12 years at the time.

With a brake hose being bad, and then a caliper needing to be replaced shortly after, and then the original master cylinder going bad a few months after getting it going, (and that one also going bad after a few months), I ended up having to bleed out the brakes at least 5 times in the last 8 months or so.

I think it was something where old rubber parts that hadn't moved in a long time started being moved/used and the rubber came apart after a little while.

So with the Thing, I decided that if at all possible, I really did not want to have to mess with it a bunch of times again.

Therefore, I decided to just replace all those parts and be done with it. Good thing I did, as I said any attempt to bleed anything would have been futile due to the amount of rust in the system.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Metal Twister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cool, I know the feeling and anticipation since I just trailered mine home 2 weeks ago. First chance ya get let us take a peek with a few pics!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GI Joe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check with Mike, in New York! Good guy, fair prices and Great selection of used Original parts, as well as new inventory...

http://www.thingparts.com

Welcome to Thingdom, I hope your seller honors the handshake!(all too rare these days...)
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8080337#8080337
www.NLEOMF.com
Respect, Honor, Remember
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the rules I came up with years ago was to only buy wheel cylinders with the correct shaped boots.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Shown are is the correct shape for the boots. I have never had a failure with a cylinder with boots of this shape regardless of what box they were in. Virtually all the cylinders with boots of other shapes have had very short lives, but it has been years since I have tried any at this point in time.

New brake lines are a must, totally regardless of what your present ones look like.

If your brake fluid looks like crap then go ahead and replace the master as it is very apt to have a rust ring in it. A new master is cheap insurances if there is any question about yours.

I am very willing to buy brake parts from NAPA, but am wary at the same time.
lqqkatjon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:17 am    Post subject: it is now in my garage Reply with quote

Deal went through, and I towed it home on Saturday.

I plan on replacing all the brake stuff first and grease bearings, second will be new oil, and see if I can get the engine started.
Then on to cosmetics. I hope to have it ready to go next spring.

thingparts.com, does seem to have decent prices on parts, and if they for sure are the correct parts, I think I will be giving him a little business. there are a couple items i will probably go to the thing shop for as well.

Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks very decent for a car from the midwest. Enjoy your project.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: