Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

showcasing type 181 Things
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MMW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 6:59 pm    Post subject: showcasing type 181 Things Reply with quote

Just wanted to alert everyone here that this years All Air Cooled Gathering will be showcasing type 181 Things. If you live with in driving distance (Flanders, NJ) this is a show not to be missed. More info here.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=632076

& here

http://www.allaircooledgathering.com/
Update - third pc. found!
Now just need the case halves.
1965 fenderless beetle
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to drive over there starting tomorrow morning.
I will drive along US Route 6; the historic "Grand Army of the Republic Highway". Lots of small towns, etc.
Should be a nice drive, and the weather forecast looks pretty good.
More later, Mondshine
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The drive along Route 6 was fun. The weather was perfect and the Thing ran well, averaging just over 23 mpg.

The New Jersey Aircooled Gathering is a big show! there were well over 350 VW's of all types. Here's a nice lineup of some of the 181's:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

A handful of KTE veterans were present; all-in-all a great show.

Gas is cheap in New Jersey; under $2/gallon (for full serve...all gas in NJ is full serve). Think I'll top up before I head for home tomorrow.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lotta beauties! I plan on being there next year when Thing and I have rehabbed and recovered. Cool
waxhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mondshine wrote:
The drive along Route 6 was fun. The weather was perfect and the Thing ran well, averaging just over 23 mpg.

A handful of KTE veterans were present; all-in-all a great show.

Gas is cheap in New Jersey; under $2/gallon (for full serve...all gas in NJ is full serve). Think I'll top up before I head for home tomorrow.

I hope you got a prize for the furthest distance traveled (I can't imagine anyone drove further)!
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The prize was a very enjoyable drive along a scenic country road. Route 6 is worth a look; it runs from near Boston to Long Beach,CA.

The show was very nice, and I picked up a few new names for the KTE mailing list.
The award for Best Thing went to KTE veteran Barry Clark.
When he walked up the stage to collect his award, the crowd could admire the fine artwork on the back of his T-shirt from Kubel Treffen East 2013 Wink

I can't say much about the trip home on I-80, except that it was un-eventful.

As for long road trips, that was probably the "last tango in Paris" for me this season.
I actually drove almost halfway home with my top up and windows in; it was a little nippy this morning, about 50*

Don't think I will ever rack up the "Frequent Thinger Miles" of Sam; he will always be the mileage king.

Glad to be home, Mondshine
Ron Domeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you say "top and curtains" ? You used those one time before. This is not going to be a habit is it?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope not Ron!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: