Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Type 4 CVs
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
smileyman3000
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 2:42 am    Post subject: Type 4 CVs Reply with quote

Hey everyone.

I'm looking to buy some Type 4/Thing CVs very shortly for my bug. Just wondering where is the best place to get them from?
I noticed that Moore Parts no longer has them in their parts lineup. This is where I was going to get them from a few years back.

Any suggestions?

Smiley Smile
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EMPI makes some good 100mm cv joints for off road use that are good to 25 degrees. I know a few people who have been running them hard for years with big tires and engines. They have held up well on the trails and dunes here in Michigan.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=487021
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EMPI complete Thing axles are what you want.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
smileyman3000
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys.

I already have Thing stubs in the car. And am running modified Bug axles which take the wider CV now. I basically just need CVs.

Unfortunately buying complete axles is costly to have shipped here. If I could just buy the CVs that would be great. And a lot cheaper to ship. Unfortunately I'm not finding anywhere that doesn't sell complete axles.

What I have been running on the car are aftermarket 924/944 purchased from the local parts supplier in OZ. They are obviously Chinese going by the price but don't measure up the same as a Type 2 or Type 4 CV. There balls are actually halfway inbetween in size. I was getting good angle out of them. Around 20° I think. But they clicked a little on full droop and I had been breaking a few of them. So I figured it was time to get some proper Type 4 CVs.

Smiley Smile
SamT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive been running the empi high angle bus joints for 4-5 years. They are awesome. I bust one now and then, but i have big Hp, tires and run them at their max limits at full droop and bump.
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pre assembled thing replacement half shafts (from cv joint to cv joint) are cheap and do work. It is a good budget fix if that is what you are looking for. Hard to beat for the value. You can still get them online for 60 bucks a pop shipped to your door if you know where to look.

But yeah, I would hit up the EMPI off road 100mm cv joints if you are really looking for something with max articulation with your existing stub axles.

takotruckin
SUPER Baja

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep in mind the EMPI replacement axles are actually T2 cv's in most cases and won't articulate as far as a real T4. And the 100mm off road joints are junk if you want to run them on the street at all, I wouldn't recommend them at all due to vibration/binding issues WAY below max articulation.

Used T4 joints are the way to go.
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

takotruckin wrote:
Keep in mind the EMPI replacement axles are actually T2 cv's in most cases and won't articulate as far as a real T4.

I'm curious to this, have you measured the balls?

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DWP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

check here
http://blindchickenracing.com/How_to/CVJoints_Axles/cv_joints_101.htm

Near the bottom are the measurements for the balls.

DWP
race-desert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will cross post my post from another site where this is also being discussed.- with some added info..
For the record these baja's get used in the deserts and mountains....

I gave up on my Empi type 4 cvs after another person and i had trouble getting the degree's of articulation out of empi's type 4 cv's, we hounded the dealer about them and he admitted all empi type 4 cv's are really only type 2's reboxed! he said, That for most people using them on there type 4 stuff never see the articulation we were shooting for- He even referred to- for street use you would never know the difference!! we went with used real type 4 stuff from Havasuejoe and solved all our problems...... the ones i got looked to be in great shape!!! I'm only guessing, but Him getting 12 sets might be tall order........ Good luck and, If any thing, stick with a true type 4 stuff!

now to take it a step further here-- one of the guys involved in this had bought no name "type 4 cvs" from the net--they were trouble from the begining- no where near the articulation, one cage blew apart ( this is a single port 1500 car)! so we disassembled them and started measuring everything and comparing to blindchickens info- low and behold not one thing match a type 4 cv! and all the measurements did not add up to any one type of cv! it was a basket of parts cv as we called it! pure crap that left a little ol 1500 car stranded on the side of the road!
Now for the empi's- I do not remember the exact details of or measurements but they were NOT type four all thru! I set my drooop up with a old "real" type four cv's on my car, then went and bought new Empi "thing axles and cv's. they did not come close to same droop!
lesson learned- just Stick with real german type 4 stuff.....

Last edited by race-desert on Sun Aug 23, 2015 4:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
smileyman3000
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not really keen on buying EMPI CVs as I have been hearing from a number of people that they are just Type 2 bus ones with different stickers on them.

Smiley Smile
SamT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

takotruckin wrote:
Keep in mind the EMPI replacement axles are actually T2 cv's in most cases and won't articulate as far as a real T4. And the 100mm off road joints are junk if you want to run them on the street at all, I wouldn't recommend them at all due to vibration/binding issues WAY below max articulation.

Im gonna have to call BS. I run my rail 100+Mph on occasion on pavement, ect and have 0 vibrations. Also make some 200 mile trail/pavement/dirt road runs.
I must be running a different part number. Are yall talking about the 24* offroad bus CV's? At full droop mine sit at 24*, ive never had one that wouldnt and ive run them on 3cars.
sloboatnova
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Find Havasuejoe. He sources like new CV parts in good condition only. Doesn't mark em up much either. He set me up with everything I needed to convert to 944 CV's.

3BT Baja build page
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=417564&highlight=3bt+baja
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Part number 98-5085, those would be the ones to get.

http://www.appletreeauto.com/OFFROAD-TYPE-2-CV-CHROMOLY-98-5084-B/

HERC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't' think empi sells a type 4.
tripicana
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a set I pulled from a Porsche 944. I'd sell them if you're interested in used...
ORANGECRUSHer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish I was running on my empi race prepps already so I could comment here, but I will anyway.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Berrien Warrior 2.4L Quad4
LAZY MARY 1970 Baja 1835cc
HERC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I'm not gonna screw with em, going 930's to forget about it.
I don't ever wanna think that my balls don't measure up.
takotruckin
SUPER Baja

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SamT wrote:
takotruckin wrote:

Im gonna have to call BS. I run my rail 100+Mph on occasion on pavement, ect and have 0 vibrations. Also make some 200 mile trail/pavement/dirt road runs.
I must be running a different part number. Are yall talking about the 24* offroad bus CV's? At full droop mine sit at 24*, ive never had one that wouldnt and ive run them on 3cars.

No BS. The offroad bus CV's I put on my car caused vibrations on sweeping turns under power. I didn't think it could be the new CV's causing it so I replaced a lot of other parts trying to fix it. After about 1500 miles or so on them a couple of the inner stars had enough wear on the splines to cause a clunk in the drivetrain when changing gears or on takeoff. Switched back to used T4's from ebay and all is good again.

I could move the CV joints around and the vibration would change, so not all 4 of them were junk, but 2-3 were and that's pretty bad odds for new parts. The vibration occured far from max droop, probably at 15 degrees.

The CV's I got were the 98-5085 that were linked. I'm not saying they are all junk, but my set definitely had issues, and other people have had issues with them as well.
smileyman3000
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys. Loving this healthy discussion. It's good to get feedback from a variety of people.

Vanapplebomb wrote:
Part number 98-5085, those would be the ones to get.

http://www.appletreeauto.com/OFFROAD-TYPE-2-CV-CHROMOLY-98-5084-B/

These appear to just be Bus CVs, which I can buy locally if I wanted them. The ball sizes are wrong for Type 4 going by the measurements they have given.

I have purchased a set of 944 complete axles of American eBay which will be making their way over shortly.

But if anyone can give me a link to new TYPE 4 CVs that I can buy I would be very much be interested so I can have prices/options for the future.

Smiley Smile
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: