Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What all is in the tunnel...
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Metal Twister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 3:07 pm    Post subject: What all is in the tunnel... Reply with quote

What all runs through the tunnel besides the shifter rod?

Last edited by Metal Twister on Thu Aug 20, 2015 4:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the gallery:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Metal Twister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A picture is worth a thousand words... Thanks Much!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Yarkle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

check this out:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=354821

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=771024&highlight=
Metal Twister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cool! I'm thinking about fitting a bus fuel tank under the back seat with a notch in the tank to clear the tunnel. If I could sneak a 1" round tube low on the tunnel all the way across it, I could then use a nipple on each side of the tank to connect them together using a soft line through the 1" metal tube. By doing that I could use one fuel sending unit and no need for a fuel selector switch from side to side.I would only need a fuel selector switch for the main or aux tank. Thanks for the help and thanks to Capt. Spalding for the inspiration.
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are cool pics, I clicked the thread because I was mulling over whether coolant lines could run in the tunnel earlier today.

As for the gas tank-I think it'd be easier and you could have higher capacity if you just had it under the rear seat on the driver side. Better yet, have one fabricated to fit the area exactly. It could fill the whole space under the driver side, and potentially extend over the top of the tunnel for a little more space.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Metal Twister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually that was my first thought. Build two custom custom tanks that would fit on each side of the tunnel. Having built a good number of fuel tanks I have found it much easier and quicker to modify a tank if one can be found that is close in size. I actually measured the type 2 bus tank. With the 2.5" body lift it will fit very nice under the rear seating area. The filler spout is located on the end of the tank and would make a perfect place to cut in a filler door just below the rear passenger side door. I was just curious where I could sneak a equalization tube from side to side. With the body lift I need to make a couple new seat risers so the battery's will end up under the two front seats. I

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: