Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Weber dual 40 IDF manifold clearance
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mising
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 4:11 pm    Post subject: Weber dual 40 IDF manifold clearance Reply with quote

I am finally getting around to installing the dual Weber kit that I purchased from aircooled.net a couple of years ago.

http://vwparts.aircooled.net/CB-Performance-Dual-I...p;CartID=0

I cannot seem to get the manifolds to slide over the studs in the heads. I am pretty sure I am going to need to "clearance" either the engine tin or the manifold or am I missing something obvious.

Also, I noticed that the manifolds are marked A and B. Which goes on the driver side?

I have searched around a bit but could not find a definite answer, I have also sent an email to aircooled.net tech support but have not heard back yet.

I have the directions from the weber website, but they do not mention the A and B marking.

i am sure someone here has gone through this already, so just looking for some input.

Thank you!
tmitoraj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same set up. I don't remember anything special to get the manifolds on. Just took some wiggling. I did buy their special flanged stud nuts and that made taking them off and on easier. There is only one way for the manifold to go on properly. Don't remember a and b designation. They may even be the same. Good luck
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Derek Cobb
Annoying

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had to modify the tins to get my manifolds to squeeze onto the head. The flange was too big to fit in the existing hole.
It was a real mother-scratcher too...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mising
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been massaging the tins with a drift and hammer and it is getting closer, but it still looks like I am going to have to grind the manifolds a bit to be able to get them in. I have other things to hook up in the meantime, so I guess I will sleep on it for the night. Thank you for the input!
mising
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, had to grind off approx. 1.5 mm off of the inboard edge of the mounting flange. My tins are up against the cylinder cooling fins, so they cannot go any further. Now comes the fun of trying to get those back nuts tightened down. I bought a cheap 12mm wrench at Ace that I should be able to bend into shape to get at them.
Derek Cobb
Annoying

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ordered the 10mm flanged nuts for those miserable buggers. So much easier...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mising
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Derek Cobb wrote:
I ordered the 10mm flanged nuts for those miserable buggers. So much easier...

You're the second one to mention those, I'll have to go ahead and order some of those for the next time!
orygonian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same carb setup for me,also had to grind a little off the manifolds and tweak the tins some . Also wondered about the a and b on the manifolds, didn't look like it mattered much though. I think I ended up with b on the drivers side.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: