Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

stripping paint & grinding
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ptspringer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 1:57 pm    Post subject: stripping paint & grinding Reply with quote

I'm stripping the paint from my '69 VW bug convertible, for repair and new paint. I have uncovered previous bodywork on the hood and fenders. Should I grind out the old bondo and fix each dent, or leave it in place if the repair looks good? What is best practice?

Thanks
buguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would get rid of it and do it yourself. You never know what some yahoo might have done. Remember, this is the foundation you are building on. Everything you do from here depends on it. Its a ton ton of work what you are about to do, you dont want to do it twice!
56bugdan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, absolutely get rid of it! You'd be amazed at what people will do with filler. It might look okay right now but 6 months after you paint it, it could start to lift due to rust or paint they covered with it. I had an Uncle who used to fill huge rust holes with news paper or cardboard and load filler on that to re-sell cars so ya never know. Yeah he was a savage when it came to body work and paint, but I know he's not alone out there. I've found a lot of rusty panels under filler so do it now.
ExtremeBean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly. There could he rust underneath the bondo. Grind it out and redo it. Better to be safe than sorry. And also its good peace of mind
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: