Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

912 shifting gears (& trying to avoid reverse while driv
Forum Index -> Porsche - 911/912/914 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Peter - Belgium
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 6:26 am    Post subject: 912 shifting gears (& trying to avoid reverse while driv Reply with quote

Hello all,

I'm new in the 912 driving, so still getting used to the strange shift pattern Very Happy

one question... it seems there is no "preventing feature" from shifting from 4th/2nd to reverse?
When I drive the shift from 4th to 2nd is so close together that I missed it a few times already and that is seemed I was trying to get her in reverse... which is not a good thing to do while driving!

when static and engine not running there seems to be much more space when shifting from 4th to 2nd and then I need to do some more effort to go more to the left to actual move to reverse. During driving this is not the case and all seems much closer and no effort needed to move too much to the left?

Any clues? bushings worn a bit so more play? clutch/throw out bearing worn?

Thanks!
jt912
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am assuming you are talking of a 4 speed transaxle? It is very hard/impossible to get into reverse from 4 or 2 while moving in the 5 speed.
Peter - Belgium
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:08 am    Post subject: 912 shifting Reply with quote

No, it is a 5 speed.

So when driving and I want to take a turn into a street I shift down from 4th gear to 2nd - which btw also feels like I can only move the shiftknob about 1/2 inch to the left to move from 4th to 2nd - i got the grinding noise in the gearbox as if I wanted to push it into reverse??

Strange thing is that when I do it static there is a big gap between 4th and reverse (even a bigger gap then that 1/2inch between 4th and 2nd)?

So I might not be even close to the reverse gear during driving and it might be something totally different, but it does sound like gears not engaging and grinding??

Thx
jt912
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both first and reverse have a helper spring to help prevent you from accidently getting into them. If you are finding you don't have to physically push the shift lever over and then up and down, I would say that something is wrong with your shifter. That doesn't explain the grinding though. There are plenty of areas to look into. Clutch free play, shifter cup, linkage, worn syncros.
Peter - Belgium
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jt912 wrote:
Both first and reverse have a helper spring to help prevent you from accidently getting into them. If you are finding you don't have to physically push the shift lever over and then up and down, I would say that something is wrong with your shifter. That doesn't explain the grinding though. There are plenty of areas to look into. Clutch free play, shifter cup, linkage, worn syncros.

When standing still I need to push against the spring to shift in gear, but during driving it seems like the gearbox is trying to get in reverse while I downshift to 2nd (and not even coming close to the spring it seems)
fig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have exactly the same issue with my 69 912 5-speed.

Adjusting the linkage has made a slight improvement, but the tendency to select reverse when shifting down to 2nd is still there.

"Don't make a fuss, just get on the bus ..."
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Peter - Belgium
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 6:50 am    Post subject: Re: 912 shifting Reply with quote

Peter - Belgium wrote:

So when driving and I want to take a turn into a street I shift down from 4th gear to 2nd - which btw also feels like I can only move the shiftknob about 1/2 inch to the left to move from 4th to 2nd - i got the grinding noise in the gearbox as if I wanted to push it into reverse??

Strange thing is that when I do it static there is a big gap between 4th and reverse (even a bigger gap then that 1/2inch between 4th and 2nd)?

So I might not be even close to the reverse gear during driving and it might be something totally different, but it does sound like gears not engaging and grinding??

Thx

I have just taken out the engine and gearbox from the car and what I saw is that the release bearing is totally worn (spins forever, no drag at all on teh ring when you turn) and that the gland nut bushing is almost all gone to the point where the tip of axle coming out of the gearbox is damaged by - what seems - metal on metal running.

This would mean the shaft was not supported very well anymore in the gland nut.

Could this explain the grinding noise I heard when downshifting? So that i in fact was not even close to get it into reverse, but that the noise was coming from the shaft not being nicely supported and moving when I released/engage power again on the gearbox?

In any case I want to install the SCAT gland-nut (which has a bearing versus a bushing) and replace the throw-out bearing.

Thx!
thesatanicmechanic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The grinding you hear may just be a worn second gear synchronizer. Bring the revs up a bit while trying to select 2nd in order to confirm. Should engage more easily if the engine speed is nearer the transmission speed.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Porsche - 911/912/914 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: