Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1679cc Mighty Mouse Spinoff
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dbo@samba
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 1:00 pm    Post subject: 1679cc Mighty Mouse Spinoff Reply with quote

Last edited by dbo@samba on Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:40 am; edited 7 times in total
Matthew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Subscribed. Back in the 70's lots of people built hot 1700s (1679). Now they will all be 1915 or 2275. I say build it.

You will want 32 vents in those 40 idfs for your combo or bigger carbs like 44 IDFs.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
theastronaut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Signing up for this one. Sounds like a good combo. Might want to step down to a 1.5" if you're not planning on making it bigger in the future?

37mm venturis were reccomended for my 1679 build with ported 40x35's, 86B, 1.4's, and a 1.5 sidewinder. I'm hoping to make power around 7000-7500 rpm. I think 130-140 hp is possible if you can make it breathe well enough up top. The FK series will broaden the powerband, I kinda wish I had gone with one instead of the 86b but I didn't want to sleeve the block.

'64 Beetle Sunroof OG Bahama Blue
'63 Beetle Vert
'66 Beetle
'88 Festiva L
'89 Festiva L
'64 Chevy C10
'66 Chevy C10
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey it's mr astro nut!!! how's that balance job going??????holly sheep shit batman did I just hyjack a thread????
87 hp &82 tq Rolling Eyes
theastronaut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:
hey it's mr astro nut!!! how's that balance job going??????holly sheep shit batman did I just hyjack a thread????
87 hp &82 tq Rolling Eyes

It's still balanced as far as I know. Been doing a good job of keeping the other parts company. Laughing

'64 Beetle Sunroof OG Bahama Blue
'63 Beetle Vert
'66 Beetle
'88 Festiva L
'89 Festiva L
'64 Chevy C10
'66 Chevy C10
Matthew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW Dub Dyno says your combo peaks at 113hp and 100 ft lbs. if you step up to 44 idfs it goes to 128hp and 101 ft lbs. With 44 Idfs and 1 1/2 exhaust it makes 127hp at 7000 and 104 ft lbs at 6000 rpm.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

115-120ish sounds about right. Port volume is too large for the displacement, so it will never get really good airspeed. Around 150 nm torque :
VWCOOL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Build it properly with slip-ins for a true 'no machine' DIY motor and prove all the 'thin wall' conspiracy theorists wrong again
Matthew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DBO, do you already have those L5 heads? If not maybe have a head porter make a set custom tailored to the engine for improved port velocity.
bugguy1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 88 slip-ins are now the thickest cylinders available. Only the case register is super thin, which really isn't important. The head side has the same register as a common 90.5/92.

Yes, use a smaller ported set of 40x35s. Brother's VW does a round and oval port 40x35. Thye keep them stocked, usually at all times.
MURZI
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

88 AA's are heavy. I am not sure I would spin them to 7500 plus. Look at a custom Pistons.
45 Dells
A1 sidewinder
Fk44 cam
Brian_e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MURZI wrote:
88 AA's are heavy. I am not sure I would spin them to 7500 plus. Look at a custom Pistons.

I agree. Some custom JE's with a minimal skirt, a thinner dome, and move the pin height up. Then you can shorten the pushrods a bunch as well. You are gonna need to use the lightest rotating and valve train parts you can to keep it alive at high RPM.

It will quickly start to turn into a custom machining experiment, but it should be fun and cost a bunch!! All the haters will tell you to just build a mild 1915, and they are right, but I say keep going. It will be a good learning experience, and it will be a hoot to drive if you get all your math correct.

I would assume you have seen JPM's 1600 mouse engine?

Brian.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If 7500 is the goal/ max rev, find a set of NOS Mahle pistons. They will handle that. With the regular AAīs I would stop at 7 grand too.
On a second note, if you want to rev that high you might want to increase carburettor size, or that in itself will be a limiting factor.

T
dbo@samba
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

theastronaut wrote:
Signing up for this one. Sounds like a good combo. Might want to step down to a 1.5" if you're not planning on making it bigger in the future?

37mm venturis were reccomended for my 1679 build with ported 40x35's, 86B, 1.4's, and a 1.5 sidewinder. I'm hoping to make power around 7000-7500 rpm. I think 130-140 hp is possible if you can make it breathe well enough up top. The FK series will broaden the powerband, I kinda wish I had gone with one instead of the 86b but I didn't want to sleeve the block.

Yes, I hear a lot of people saying you'll need more flow through the heads with the amount of lift. It will be dyno'd to put all of our theories to rest. =)
dbo@samba
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alstrup wrote:
If 7500 is the goal/ max rev, find a set of NOS Mahle pistons. They will handle that. With the regular AAīs I would stop at 7 grand too.
On a second note, if you want to rev that high you might want to increase carburettor size, or that in itself will be a limiting factor.

T

Yes I was planning to rev limit @ 7K. I want a higher rev engine, but keep it within the limitations of the parts chosen.
dbo@samba
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

theastronaut wrote:

Yes your build was the source of inspiration and slight iteration. =)
mchn13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dbo@samba wrote:
theastronaut wrote:

Yes your build was the source of inspiration and slight iteration. =)

I was about to say your build and astronauts are fairly similar. My 1679 has a little less cam and smaller heads. It's cool other people are building small hot engines tho.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
dbo@samba
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matthew wrote:
DBO, do you already have those L5 heads? If not maybe have a head porter make a set custom tailored to the engine for improved port velocity.

I haven't purchase heads yet. I have the pistons coming by the end of the week so I can take a deck height measurement first.
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might want to give the Tims family a shout, or maybe Brotherīs and tell them what you have and want, then they can taylor a set of heads for you. There could easily be a 10 hp difference over shelf heads.
If you do want shelf heads, CBīs cnc round port is more in the direction of what you need for the parts you have chosen. I have seen a couple of track 1600īs that pulled 150 hp with these heads and very minor work to them. - more CR and cam duration though.

T
dbo@samba
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alstrup wrote:
You might want to give the Tims family a shout, or maybe Brotherīs and tell them what you have and want, then they can taylor a set of heads for you. There could easily be a 10 hp difference over shelf heads.
If you do want shelf heads, CBīs cnc round port is more in the direction of what you need for the parts you have chosen. I have seen a couple of track 1600īs that pulled 150 hp with these heads and very minor work to them. - more CR and cam duration though.

T

Thanks. Having the most overall hp was not the intent, but rather a some what budget build that can be upgraded later since my short block is still good. The FK44 and larger heads were chosen to give me more top end, but also allow for a larger displacement later without tossing my heads and starting over.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: