Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

I need a affordable svda distributor? NOW PLEASE
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
cletus_zuber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never did see what was wrong with the distributor you have
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm so glad I found a guy in The Classifieds about a year ago who was selling unused OEM Mexican Bosch 034's for $150.00. My original Bosch is still fine, but I do like to find a few hard-to-get parts for future issues.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
birddog1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim Donahoe wrote:
I'm so glad I found a guy in The Classifieds about a year ago who was selling unused OEM Mexican Bosch 034's for $150.00. My original Bosch is still fine, but I do like to find a few hard-to-get parts for future issues.

Tim

Bless the hoarders. I also have one ready to go. Paid $135 years back. Along with a starter and an alternator. I don't even want to mention the VDO and SWF stuff. It's an illness I guess Smile

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tasb
The Distributor Distributor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will no longer restore 034's or any other air cooled distributor later than 1973. Bosch simply did not make them to be rebuilt. They made them to be thrown away. They are too frustrating to work with when you have the earlier ones that behave when under the "knife." I will occasionally look at a later distributor if it is still in decent shape.

I do like the quality of the earliest SVDA's. These were the ones installed on semi auto stick engines. They seem to perform admirably on manual transmission cars as well.

1965 hardtop Deluxe Microbus owned since 1990 M 620 factory 12 v 1500cc

1961 (October)Single Cab- Road Trip Workhorse

Last edited by tasb on Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Birddog, I don't consider myself a "hoarder". Since buying my bug in 2012, I simply became aware that certain OEM parts were becoming scarce. things like OEM air-cleaner thermostats, and Bosch 034 distributors, for instance. I had to get a new air-cleaner thermostat from Canada a couple years ago (and have since found out that, even RockAuto sells them now for the paper-element filters). Then I saw an ad for the distributor and picked it up for a decent price.

I also have a few NOS switches, but that's about it.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
ROCKOROD71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tasb wrote:
I will no longer restore 034's or any other air cooled distributor later than 1971. Bosch simply did not make them to be rebuilt. They made them to be thrown away. They are too frustrating to work with when you have the earlier ones that behave when under the "knife." I will occasionally look at a later distributor if it is still in decent shape.

I do like the quality of the earliest SVDA's. These were the ones installed on semi auto stick engines. They seem to perform admirably on manual transmission cars as well.

Tasb, what are some of the issues with the later distributors? What are things to check for before condemning one or trying to send it out for repair?

30 years from now, the next guy may not want your girlfriend, but he may want your classic car, depending on how nice you were to it.

asiab3 wrote:

Careful guys, a petulant child can grow up to be president these days.

**winter drivers: no survivors!**rust warrior**#keepbodyshopsbusy**
windfish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: how about the flamethrower? anything for under 200$? Reply with quote

scumbag wrote:
what about these flamethrowers??. i need something compatible with bocar 34pict carb.

So.. the Pertronix is a Chinese-made distributor, but decent enough quality.
The electronics module is, I believe, made in the US.
John at Aircooled.net (link) has a mostly positive opinion of them

I've got ~8k trouble free miles on mine so far (stock '71 1600cc DP), it works well.
Just a note, the 'original' version will burn up if you leave the key on with the engine off. There's a version 2 (link) that solves this (and a version 3 with a rev limiter)
Antonio Trejo
VW Parts Dealer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: how about the flamethrower? anything for under 200$? Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

scumbag wrote:
Mr Trejo how much are the bosch mexico ones you are selling again? what about these flamethrowers??. i need something compatible with bocar 34pict carb.

I will send you by PM all the information about these new and genuine Bosch SVDA distributors. I just sold two of them, but I would get more from my Bosch dealer...I think so.
Genuine VW Ultima Edition parts
Genuine VW Type 2 watercooled parts
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: how about the flamethrower? anything for under 200$? Reply with quote

windfish wrote:
I've got ~8k trouble free miles on mine so far (stock '71 1600cc DP), it works well.

Those things are hit and miss sometimes. I have seen a few fail out of the box.

I have thousands of miles on the one in Antonio's picture (because that's the exact one he sent me Very Happy ) plopped it in and smooth sailing since.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: how about the flamethrower? anything for under 200$? Reply with quote

windfish wrote:
scumbag wrote:
what about these flamethrowers??. i need something compatible with bocar 34pict carb.

So.. the Pertronix is a Chinese-made distributor, but decent enough quality.
The electronics module is, I believe, made in the US.
John at Aircooled.net (link) has a mostly positive opinion of them

Just a note, the 'original' version will burn up if you leave the key on with the engine off. There's a version 2 (link) that solves this (and a version 3 with a rev limiter)

I had a new pertronix SVDA. Died w/in a year. Also had a Pertronix Flame Thrower coil. POS lasted just over 6 months. I bought 2 original Bosch DVDA distributors and rebuilt them to make one good one, installed a compufire ignition and an old Bosch blue coil. I've since replaced the coil w/a Beru blue coil. Zero problems two years since.

I'll NEVER buy a Pertronix product again.

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
Zylinderkopf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I installed the Pertronix II in my 1971 about a year and a half ago and am very pleased. No troubles whatsoever.
1971 Super Beetle
1974 Thing

"A lot of people never use their initiative because no one told them to."
talljordan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim Donahoe wrote:
Birddog, I don't consider myself a "hoarder". Since buying my bug in 2012, I simply became aware that certain OEM parts were becoming scarce. things like OEM air-cleaner thermostats, and Bosch 034 distributors, for instance. I had to get a new air-cleaner thermostat from Canada a couple years ago (and have since found out that, even RockAuto sells them now for the paper-element filters). Then I saw an ad for the distributor and picked it up for a decent price.

Tim

WHERE!!!! I need one of these quite badly. I am looking on rockauto and not finding anything

Wanted: Male computer diagnostic plug end
Zack1978
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can someone give me more information about the replacement distributor offered by Mr. Trejo? Is it a direct stock replacement for my stock 1972 Karmann Ghia? Is it the best new option available today? Does this distributor use points? Is this better than an old OEM distributor with a Pertronix system installed to replace the points?

Thanks,
Zack
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.oldvolkshome.com/ignition.htm#A1974MFD

Beetle 1974 * 1600 Federal Manual Trans

Distributor: VW 043-905-205, Bosch 0231 170 034
Can Use: VW 113-905-205AL, Bosch 0231 146 101, VW 043 905 205 ZB (Mexico) (See Note Below)
Condensor: 02 074
Rotor: 04 033
Dust Cover: 039-905-241, Bosch 1230 500 139 > 1230 500 147
Cap: 03 010
Distributor Cap Clip: 034-905-265, Bosch 1231 251 033
Parts Kit (Shims, Washers & Hardware): 059-998-211, Bosch 1237 010 007
Coil: 00 015 (Blue Coil: 00 012)
Vacuum Can: 07 059
Ignition Wires: 09 001
Spark Plug: W8AC
Timing Set At:: 7.5deg BTDC @ 800-950rpm w/strobe and w/single vacuum hose disconnected and plugged
Advance/Retard Range: Vacuum: 8-12deg Adv; Centrifugal: 7-12deg @ 1600rpm, 20-25deg @ 3800rpm
NOTE: Volkswagen (with Bosch's help) now makes this distributor in Mexico and is available brand new and ready to install.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
tasb

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 043 905 205 distributor of today is being used as a generic cure all for running a 34 PICT Solex carburetor. The vacuum signal from the carburetor must match the DVDA or SVDA distributor in order to work as designed.

There are several problems with the later distributors. The overall build quality is lacking hardiness. The points plate on all of them is press fit into the housing and the body is pinched to hold the points plate in place. If you do manage to find one that pops right out and you manage to get it to pop right back in solidly you are then faced with the poorer quality of the internals of these distributors which began introducing more plastic parts that with age and heat cycles do not last and become brittle. finally the main shaft of the distributor is a two piece design mated with the use of a snap ring which is tedious to work with. I'd rather work on something else. If you find one that is still working or you manage with cleaning and lubrication to convince one to come back to life you might be ok for awhile. If you need to repair/rebuild/ restore one you'd best move on. I do occasionaly get one I can restore.

BUGGED11111
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

talljordan wrote:
Tim Donahoe wrote:

Tim

WHERE!!!! I need one of these quite badly. I am looking on rockauto and not finding anything

I don't know about Rockauto but NOS are for sale in the classifieds

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1235513

tasb

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Below you will find a partial list of the later distributors that are designed such that I will be willing to restore them. They are from the 1969-1972 time period.
SA= single advance canister DA= Dual advance canister

311 905 205 AB SA
311 9805 205 AC SA
113 905 205 P SA
113 905 205 AA SA
022 905 205 H SA
113 905 205 AD SA
113 905 205 AJ DA
211 905 205 Q DA
113 905 205 AM DA
113 905 205 AL DA
113 905 205 AN DA
113 905 205 AH DA

Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jordan, I just saw your question tonight.

RockAuto was selling them a while back. They were for the Rabbit, I believe. The Rabbit used the same thermostat.

But I saw that ad that Bugged1111 posted. That's not a bad price for NOS genuine German one.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 4:55 am    Post subject: Re: I need a affordable svda distributor? NOW PLEASE Reply with quote

scumbag wrote:
I know there is always discussions and on and on. But does anyone know of a distributor svda 0034 or otherwise i can order for a decent price. NOT 2-300$ I need it to agree with my 34pict carb 1600 dual port bug. Ive seen hotspark 0034 for 100$ and so on. I can use points or electronic ignition. no matter. store down the road sells a kuhltek 009 svda distributor for $59.whatcha think?? has to be somewhere that sells something decent for affordable price. i said affordable not cheap! thankx

Here's what you do Very Happy make a go fund me page and be sure to include a sad story of why you need help. You'll have the money within hours, maybe enough to build an engine if your writing skills and story telling are keen enough Very Happy
Antonio Trejo
VW Parts Dealer

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

New and genuine Bosch 043-905-205 ZB (SVDA) Distributor. Last one from my stock shipped by FedEx to Düsseldorf, Germany.
Genuine VW Ultima Edition parts
Genuine VW Type 2 watercooled parts
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: