Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1956 silver oval window bug restoration
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Schwing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 1956 silver oval window bug restoration Reply with quote

So it sounds like you are now sanding the body with 400 and you are painting the whole thing in one shot? If so, very good call. Looking forward to pics.

Single Cab - BBXXVII Long Distance Winner
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
thevinster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: 1956 silver oval window bug restoration Reply with quote

so i finally made progress on the bug. ive been very busy with finals coming up and getting ready for the holidays so i havent had much time to work on the bug. so we got to the 400 wet sanding part. for now only the hood is done because it was so cold outside that it started hailing. which i guess is fitting when your working on a car dubbed the arctic oval.
thevinster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 2:46 am    Post subject: Re: 1956 silver oval window bug restoration Reply with quote

It's been a very cold winter here in Arizona which does not fare very well for paint. I can only work on weekends since I'm still in high school so we've gotta hope that on a warm day we can paint it. The official plan right now is: tow the car to Reed's place, mount and paint the fenders, put in a new electrical system, put the motor back in, reinstall the gas tank, go through the brakes, reinstall the interior, and hit the road!
EA812
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 1956 silver oval window bug restoration Reply with quote

Another father son project getting done, too cool! Great looking car also.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwnut1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 1956 silver oval window bug restoration Reply with quote

Keep posting restoration photos, can't wait to see the finished product.
thevinster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: 1956 silver oval window bug restoration Reply with quote

Hello! After a bit of a hiatus we are back! What we've done so far is wash the trunk area and put paint on it to stop some slight rust in there. We've also sanded down the front end for the silver paint.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

You can see where a new chunk of car was welded in after the accident

We took off a piece of metal that would hold the hood rubber in place because there was rust under it. So we grinded down the welds that held it on

Tearing out the electrical system that was attacked by rats

Painting the trunk area

Done!

2 in 1 primer.
I will have some more updates in the coming weeks. See you then!
thevinster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 1956 silver oval window bug restoration Reply with quote

Hello folks. It's been awhile but we've made lots of progress. About two weeks ago reed painted the fenders and hood and they look beautiful

After that we pulled the car out and towed it to reeds where he painted the front end. A few days later he towed the car back to our house where we mounted the fenders. It's actually starting to look like a car again. I'm so glad to be done with body work, it's just the most tedious thing on earth

Repainted quarter panel

Fixed front apron

The right side was painted 20 years ago and the left side was painted a week ago. That's what REALLY expensive paint gets you

The image that brings a tear to my eye.
So if all goes to plan (which knowing how car projects go it probably won't) we should have the engine in next week! See ya then
thevinster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 6:22 am    Post subject: Re: 1956 silver oval window bug restoration Reply with quote

Welcome back after a bit of a hiatus we are back. We were very busy with the end of the school year and many other things but we are back on track. So the bug now has its engine back in it along with the electrical system. The engine is actually a Mexican beetle motor bought new from the factory. This is the second engine that has been in the car since my dad built it. He first put a 2276 in it with 48 Ida's. He drove it with that motor for 60'000 miles until it was vomiting oil from every orifice and had absolutely no compression.He drove it to car shows all over the U.S. And drove it daily because for 15 years that was the only car he had. There are pictures from when it was in VW trends I'll get them when i have the chance. I just figured i should update you all. The engine and electrical a are in the car and i honestly think we're gonna make it
thevinster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 10:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 1956 silver oval window bug restoration Reply with quote

Folks i have wonderful news! It runs! It was so much work but finally! It runs and drives! We went through the entire brake system and changed the oil

Backing it out for the first time

Installing the bumper. After this we installed the hood latch... BIG MISTAKE we closed the hood and just as my dad had feared the latch stuck. After the accident in 2003 the car has never had a precisely straight front end (see: literally welding new chunks of car in) so we had to gently use a crowbar and try not to mess up the hood. Luckily the hood survived without a scratch. We immediately took that thing off and closed the hood.

Took it out for a quick drive to get some gas. Didn't take it too far from home since we don't have insurance on it after it was in storage and it's not registered. It will be tomorrow though.

We also installed an original roof rack my dad bought off of a friend of his. I think it looks good even if the rack is for a hardtop.

We also got the new carpet in. It hasn't looked this nice in about a decade.

Artsy photo
the engine. I forgot to mention it came straight from the factory in Mexico. It's got the aluminum engine block so it's not a fire hazard. We had to rebuild the carb because it had so much dirt also we changed the oil and reset the timing. Works as good as ever!

More artsy photos

For about two decades the plate hung off the back bumper tied by two copper wires. Because of the plate moving and shaking as it went down the road it literally wore through the metal. We are getting an adapter so the plate can bolt on to the deck lid

That's all for now folks. I'm super excited about it running. I drove it around the block a few times myself. See ya soon!
thevinster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 12:43 am    Post subject: Re: 1956 silver oval window bug restoration Reply with quote

Hey guys! So we got the bug insured and we were gonna register it today but the registration office is closed for the 4th of July weekend. So we are gonna drive around without the stuff for about a week. No biggie. After this we drove to breakfast and then to the shop to work on miscellaneous projects we have. One of which was working on a very funky door latch on the bug. As long as i can remember the passenger side door always gets stuck and the interior door handle can turn farther than it should. We weren't able to figure out a way to fix it without removing the door panel but we figured out how to make the door work reliably so it's not stuck constantly. You must have the interior door handle in the open position and then the exterior door handle will open the door. We also got the plate hanging on to the deck lid for the first time in forever. Several friends came over to the shop to work on their projects and help on the bug. We drove to a local pizza place for lunch and my friends absolutely loved riding in it. We also oiled the steering wheel. It had an awful squeak.

In the parking lot at breakfast

I've noticed that all over the car there's tiny splotches of green and gray house paint. Nothing i can't get rid of with my finger nail and some patience. I have two theories on where it may have came from. The first is around 2008 my dad used to restore machines and repaint them and many colors used were green and gray but the machines were usually restored inside the shop and not out front. Another theory is my fathers business used to be in a garage right next to my uncles landscaping business and they would sometimes paint things for yards. Those are my theories. They don't really matter but i really enjoy the history of this particular car.

It looks pretty kickass with the headlights on at dusk. That's all for now I'll see you guys soon!
thevinster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: 1956 silver oval window bug restoration Reply with quote

Hey guys! So i had quite an adventure yesterday. Let me tell you how an attempt to oil the squeaky steering wheel turned into a three hour debacle. So our full circle horn ring has always been a little bit loose and it's mainly because all of the original rubber o rings that helped keep it in place disintegrated. So i removed the horn ring and replaced the rubber with pieces of cut out leather made into the same shape and size. So during lunch my dad and i drive over to a sandwich place and he says i should fix the squeaky steering wheel. So after lunch i take the horn ring off along with my leather shims. After only a few seconds of inspection i realize where it's squeaking is not reachable with the steering wheel on. So i unscrew all of the pieces and keep them in my shirt pocket. Once everything is removed i come to the big bolt keeping the wheel on. It takes 20 minutes to find the right size ratchet socket(the shop is pretty messy at the moment) i take it off clean the steering wheel for the first time in 24 years, lubricate everything very well and place the wheel back on. I screw everything back in and it has been two and a half hours by now (it takes a lot of fidgeting with the shims for the horn ring to sit straight) as I'm on the LAST step of putting the horn button back on i lean over to grab it and hit the horn ring with my elbow and the circle clip just freaking disappears. I spent 20 minutes looking for that thing in and around the car. I went in and told my father is screwed up. He walks over to a shelf and pulls out a box of circle clips! I rush back to the bug and try every one in the box. NONE FIT. As I'm staring at the ground in defeat, right there before my tired eyes like a gift from the freakin stars; was the circle clip that flew off. I picked it up put it on and put back the horn button and felt so accomplished. I know oiling a steering wheel is a silly thing to feel accomplished over but it was 103 degrees out i had been cooking in the sun working on this thing for three hours. Long story short : the wheel no longer squeaks
thevinster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 1956 silver oval window bug restoration Reply with quote

There has been an incident. I'm a bit busy right now as this happened only 15 minutes ago. Everybody is ok we are all walking and nobody is really hurt. I now know how it feels to have you face break the windshield. The guy who hit us was in a Prius but he owns a fat chick. He was driving with his pregnant wife(they are okay too) he was so broken up to see he had destroyed an oval window. It actually really helped emotionally to know that he is a car guy too and understands the amount of work and effort that it takes to make one. All the right people have been notified and some day soon we will cut the front of the car off and begin rebuilding. I'm gonna go cry myself to sleep now
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 1956 silver oval window bug restoration Reply with quote

I'm so sorry. Thankfully everyone walked away. You will likely feel a bit sore tomorrow. It must be a bit maddening seeing the effort you put into the front end before. Thankfully, it appears that the damage is largely isolated to the front sheet metal.
Bummer Crying or Very sad
thevinster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: 1956 silver oval window bug restoration Reply with quote

Ok so it's the next day. Tge car was insured and registered about an hour before the accident. This car has been in four accidents first: at his brothers shop one of the workers backed a work truck into it and tore off the fender it was only finished two months ago. Second:a kid in a stolen mustang crashed into it. Third: again at his brothers another work truck smashed the fender. Fourth: this one with the mighty Prius. That's not counting whatever happened with the previous owner. I mean we got this thing in a field rusted out and carved in two pieces! This poor thing is cursed. We are friends with several people who work at a Porsche restoration shop in Phoenix. They have all of the equipment and everything. But it'll be awhile before we get it there. We still have to sort out all of the insurance stuff. But it's fixable although the frame might be bent (again) until next time folks!

Last edited by thevinster on Fri Jul 08, 2016 8:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
thevinster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 1956 silver oval window bug restoration Reply with quote

Hey guys i figured I'd show you some intricate photos of the carnage. I found out the airbags in the Prius didn't even go off!

Under the hood

Pushed in the right quarter panel (that dark line isn't just a shadow)

We have one replacement fender in storage. It's mint condition it's the drivers side fender. We are gonna need a replacement front clip a hood (doesn't need to be 4 tab) and a passenger side fender. If anybody has these and is willing to sell please pm me. On atleast a small bright side we now have the chance to dig in to what i like to call the toy box

Until next time!
MattBon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 1956 silver oval window bug restoration Reply with quote

Oh man, what a bummer! I was all excited about seeing another Tucson VW and then saw your last posts! Sad

There is a local VW owner who may have the parts you need: tparag

He actually has a 61 for sale in the classifieds right now if you can't find him. I bought my 59 ragtop from him, he's a great guy.

If you don't care that your hood is a 3 tab hood from a 59, let me know. I had my old one sand blasted and it's just hanging out in the garage. Happy to give it to you.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
thevinster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: 1956 silver oval window bug restoration Reply with quote

Hey guys I'm back. i finally have news on the bug! So the insurance company is gonna give us 5000 bucks which is bullcrap so we are working on changing that. I recently got a private message from Mattbon and he literally gave me a hood! It was truly amazing. He also got me in touch with another guy who sold me a passenger fender from HIS project car so i could fix mine. The fender is in stunning condition. It even still has the turn signal light

There's no dents in the fender

Here's the hood Matt gave us (thanks again dude) it's been sandblasted already. I thought that the whole "vw people are very kind" was just crap but I've obviously been proven wrong! So on the subject of the front clip: terry (the guy who sold me the fender) is in Colorado right now because the old vw supplier from Colorado stuffed all of his stuff in a big warehouse. Ups just bought the warehouse and he's getting kicked out. From what he says there's just an insane amount of vw parts that he's ready to scrap if he can't sell it. So terry is gonna see if he can get a front clip there to sell us. Thank you so much you guys you're a massive help! See you next time!
j-dub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: 1956 silver oval window bug restoration Reply with quote

Really sorry to see this after so much work was just put into the front end. Looking forward to you getting it fixed up again and seeing it on the road or at some of the AZ shows!
thevinster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 1956 silver oval window bug restoration Reply with quote

Hey guys! So I've got news! The insurance stuff is close to being finished. Luckily it wasn't like the previous crash where there was a two year long debacle with court cases and stuff. It was much easier. Also we found a guy who can fix the car. He's been doing this stuff for the past 25 years. He doesn't speak much English but from what I've seen and heard he's incredible. He fixed a hummer that had been t boned HARD in a matter of hours. The frame on the hummer was bent and he had it all straight in HOURS. Also it won't take months to get it fixed. I'm past the show car. It's past that point in its life it was a show car for a long time then a daily driver and now i just want something for the weekends. I want a car i can drive. I'm over the show car. I draw the line after having to chop the front off for the third time after four crashes over its life span. There's a freakin limit. It's still gonna have the silver paint and everything but I'm not gonna be a stickler. Not that i was before but dear god this poor car. So all good news and I'm excited to get it fixed
René R.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 1956 silver oval window bug restoration Reply with quote

That's great news. I'm looking forward to updates.

Enjoy!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: