Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

78 2.0 FI type 4 distributor orientation + misses/backfires
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
no1pony
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:12 am    Post subject: 78 2.0 FI type 4 distributor orientation + misses/backfires Reply with quote

Hello, I have done multiple searches and gained a ton of knowledge from this site but I am having an issue with my bus that I need some help with.

Here is some details on my bus and the issues I am having. My bus is a 78 with 2.0 FI still installed. I bought the bus non running and after it sat for many years. I pulled the motor and just did basic clean up, tested fuel injectors, replaced manifold seals ,plugs, wires along with various other parts. The bus' wiring harness was fried from what appeared to be excessive over cranking or shorting out somehow. Harness and ECM have been replaced along with double relay. I have remove and cleaned the tank and new fuel pump and filter. Reinstalled the engine and It will start and run however not well. Compression test reveals about 150 - 162 on all 4 cyl. The engine misses and backfires. Here is where I think the problem is but I need some insight. There was no distributor when I got the bus and I am running a 009 with the points set to .016 and the dwell at 35. When I put the pulley at what I believe is TDC the distributor points to the 7 O'clock position not 5' O'clock. I have set the plugs accordingly but is it possible that the pulley is off 90 degrees? I am losing my mind because I can not get this thing timed correctly. I have tried to adjust the valves but I am worried that I am doing it with the engine not on TDC. Any held would greatly be appreciated.

Thank you

Last edited by no1pony on Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:28 am; edited 1 time in total
no1pony
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If a Mod thinks this would be better suited for the general Bay Window forum please move it accordingly. Thanks
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 78 2.0 FI type 4 distributor orientation + misses/backfi Reply with quote

no1pony wrote:
When I put the pulley at what I believe is TDC

So you are saying you don't have a timing scale on the shroud?

You'll do much better in the bay forum with this.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
FreeBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First thing to do is find TDC on n°1 cylinder, then mark that on the pulley (white-out (liquid paper) works well), down the front where you can see it. Then set your timing static to 5° BTDC or whatever it is supposed to be for your engine. Once you get it running, you can mess around with it, I'm not sure how the 009 timing curve suits the type 4.
no1pony
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 78 2.0 FI type 4 distributor orientation + misses/backfi Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
no1pony wrote:
When I put the pulley at what I believe is TDC

So you are saying you don't have a timing scale on the shroud?

You'll do much better in the bay forum with this.

I'm sorry I was not clear on that. I do have the timing scale. I was having trouble being certain I was on TDC. It was more if a confidence issue that I was actually there.
no1pony
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FreeBug wrote:
First thing to do is find TDC on n°1 cylinder, then mark that on the pulley (white-out (liquid paper) works well), down the front where you can see it. Then set your timing static to 5° BTDC or whatever it is supposed to be for your engine. Once you get it running, you can mess around with it, I'm not sure how the 009 timing curve suits the type 4.

Thanks, I went to Ratwell's site and followed the procedure and that was very helpful.

I made a lot of progress this evening however still not there. Here is what I did.

I ditched the 009 when I found in my stash a single vac advance 205 (don't remember the rest of the part number) distributor. I installed new points and condenser. I set the points at .016. When I installed the distributor I immediately notice the rotor would be in the 5 o'clock position that at least seemed normal to me. I static timed it at 7.5 BTDC.So I was now confident to move to the valves. I brought the valves out to loose then turned the adjuster until it touched the valve then 1 1/2 turns in. I followed the firing order turning the pulley 180* for each valve. I fired up first crank. Success right? Not quite.

I was checking the dwell which is at 28 when it started misfire and every once in a while a small pop. I started one at a time pulling a plug wire to see which cyl it was. It's #1 no difference at all with the wire removed. I can see the spark while removing the wire. The plug is gapped correctly but very fouled. Tomorrow I will swap it with another cylinder to see if it moves. Any more suggestions?
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no1pony wrote:
I started one at a time pulling a plug wire to see which cyl it was. It's #1 no difference at all with the wire removed. I can see the spark while removing the wire. The plug is gapped correctly but very fouled. Tomorrow I will swap it with another cylinder to see if it moves. Any more suggestions?

Not much, aside from a compression test, if that goes well swap the injector electrical plugs and see if the miss follows along (batch fire, wires are not cylinder specific), if not swap injectors bewteen cylinders.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Dougy Dee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dwell should be 48-50 degrees not 28...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
no1pony
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still have some work to do but its running. Brand new plug was bad. Also a large vacuum leak at the EGR. Tomorrow Ill Work on points and dwell to dial it in. I drove it a couple miles and filled her up and put in some injector cleaner. Here is a video of it running. If you have a moment I need some feedback be because the idle seem to be rising the longer it runs lol. Perhaps the injectors are clearing up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2855nkopdw

THANK YOU for the advice and help.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: