Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Engine compartment wiring
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Finally VW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 5:45 am    Post subject: Engine compartment wiring Reply with quote

Hey guys,

I've finished my DIY tar boards for the engine compartment but do not know which wires go behind the insulation except those that run from the harness to the passenger or right side. Do all of the signal light wires go behind the side tar boards? Also, there are a few wires that fit thru a grommet on the back of the firewall and I'm not sure what each of these are. These wires are also on the passenger side of the engine compartment. Sorry for my ignorance but I bought this car pulled apart and doing my best to complete the puzzle.
grandpa pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

on mine the wires for the right side lights AND the plate light go behind the large tarboard . the plate light comes out of a hole in the tarboard behind the engine on some years .
What year vehicle are you trying to fix ?

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569619&highlight=sedan+delivery
Finally VW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a 67. I stink at reading diagrams and know I need to put in the time. There's just a lot of folks out there that have a lot of first hand knowledge I like to tap into.
61SNRF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What you need is a "pictorial" diagram of the wiring. This is an example of how a '66 looks with the tap boards removed (very similar to a '67)...
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Most of the lighting circuits of the wiring is covered by either the front or side boards. The exception on the left is where the engine wire harness comes through...

...and the right where the Gen B+ wire comes through...

...hard to see but the license light wire comes out top right center...

A US or Deluxe '67 1500 will also have a supplemental wiring loom for the backup lights. Sorry, no good pics of that circuit, however most of that wiring is also behind the boards. The exception is the +15 power supply to the coil, it comes out the same hole on the lower right as the B+ wire pictured above. You might do a search here for '67 reverse light wiring for specifics if interesting in getting those working.

Keep in mind you still need to learn to use the wiring schematic to sort all the lights and wiring out first...
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/wiring/bug67.jpg

#1 tip of the day is get all the lights and wiring in good working order before you install your newly fabbed boards Wink .

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: