Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How stiff are you?
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sandjunky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 5:07 pm    Post subject: How stiff are you? Reply with quote

This Chenowth I picked up has a stock IRS suspension and it seems very stiff. The limiting straps are completely tight as it sits. I haven't driven it since it was in pretty bad shape when I got it, but I can imagine it rides pretty rough. If I keep it I plan on buying 930 joints and 3x3 trailing arms. For now I need to tear the rear down for cleanup and paint anyway so I wondering if I need to set it up differently when I reassemble it. What is the standard? Thanks.
Aerindel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my uneducated opinion I think the ideal suspension for a rail is with the suspension very nearly at its lower limit but with no actual strain against it. This way you have the maximum amount of upward travel with the minimum amount of spring resistance.

This is for the rear of course. For the front I think the stock setup is fine. The suspension will be maxed out but will not feel stiff because of how light the body is in the front.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=630046
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While it's popular among the midwest sand duners to set a car with the suspension at max height all the time, that only provides a harsh nasty ride. It should be set so that at ride height with gas in the tank and people in the car, it should be at about 1/3 travel to topped out, and 2/3 travel to bottomed out.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
PhillipM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As above, droop travel is very important to ride quality and handling, so you want at least 1/3rd of the travel as droop unless that gives you clearance issues.

If it's pegged against the straps the ride will be marginally better than just welding the suspension solid. Marginally.
sloboatnova
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may find larger than stock torion bars in it. How does it feel when you bounce on the frame?

3BT Baja build page
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=417564&highlight=3bt+baja
SamT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dustymojave wrote:
While it's popular among the midwest sand duners to set a car with the suspension at max height all the time, that only provides a harsh nasty ride. It should be set so that at ride height with gas in the tank and people in the car, it should be at about 1/3 travel to topped out, and 2/3 travel to bottomed out.

Exactly. Its just tough to give up the ground clearance when your mostly stock. I usually set my stuff with stock style vW suspension to have about 20% droop loaded. But its not too bad if you setup an empty car to be just barely touching the stops without you in it.

In my long travel buggy its set to 30% with just me in it. Its almost 50 with a passenger. You have to keep the tires on the ground at all times if your gonna go fast on real rough stuff.
Sandjunky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sloboatnova wrote:
You may find larger than stock torion bars in it. How does it feel when you bounce on the frame?

I'm roughly 217 lbs. and with bare frame without engine or tranny I can barely make it move. The torsion arms that slip over the torsion bars have ride height adjusters that aren't even being used, meaning they are bottomed out. So whoever set this up used the torsion bars instead of the ride height adjuster. This thing was probably a back breaker.

I'm going to strip it to bare frame, paint it, and then start over. Its been many years since I've messed with a VW rear suspension. Is there a good tech article for setting it up? Thanks
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The book "Baja Bugs and Buggies" by Jeff Hunter has who sections on front and rear suspension.... Book is dated but concepts don't change much...

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
I Ride Sand
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sandjunky wrote:
sloboatnova wrote:

I'm roughly 217 lbs. and with bare frame without engine or tranny I can barely make it move. The torsion arms that slip over the torsion bars have ride height adjusters that aren't even being used, meaning they are bottomed out. So whoever set this up used the torsion bars instead of the ride height adjuster. This thing was probably a back breaker.

I'm going to strip it to bare frame, paint it, and then start over. Its been many years since I've messed with a VW rear suspension. Is there a good tech article for setting it up? Thanks

it was the same with mine while i was building it, i weigh 240lbs and could barely move it without an engine or trans. it had the stock bars set at the stock setting. get en engine and trans in there BEFORE you start worrying if it is too stiff or not.
PhillipM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And make sure you've got as much friction out of the bushings, link pins, etc, as you can, otherwise it'll feel solid until the first time you hit something big.
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dale M. wrote:
The book "Baja Bugs and Buggies" by Jeff Hunter has who sections on front and rear suspension.... Book is dated but concepts don't change much...

Dale

Hey Dale!

My old race partner who wrote that excellent and still valid book nearly 35 years ago was named "Jeff Hibbard", not "Hunter".
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Aerindel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love that book. It was really all I had to start with but its what convinced me that this project was actually worth doing.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=630046
HERC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the hibbard way.
Sandjunky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dale M. wrote:

Dale

I am pretty sure I owned that book at one time or another, but I have no idea what happened to it. I haven't had a rail in nearly 12 years so it grew legs at some point.

All I lack is a 17mm Allan Head to remove the trailing arms. Another 10-15 minutes with a wire wheel and it'll be ready for paint and reassembly.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: