Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Introducing 1952 deluxe barn find #334191
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
koolerkrotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 5:13 am    Post subject: Introducing 1952 deluxe barn find #334191 Reply with quote

Out of the barn last week after 45 years of storage is this amazingly complete and substantially unmolested 52 crotch cooler. Some interesting features are:

totally unmolested wiring, switches, instruments, etc.
original upholstery (ratty)
date code correct motor, distributor, generator, tranny
original black paint
5 original 16" rims
correct jack and about half a tool kit

Still doing some careful archeology on it, weird stuff happens over 45 years, the windshield rubber slowly disintegrated, the windshield sank under its own weight then fell backward into the car against the rear view mirror...see pic. There's no rust in that windshield channel!

a very short list of missing parts can be seen in my parts wanted ad here

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1828766

Floors and heater channels are shot, rear fenders are banged up. Needs some love for sure, but in a shop full of restored classic cars everyone that walks in bee-lines right over to this thing!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Mr. OGPaint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw these pics I the gallery this AM. What a great find in a great OG color.

Will this be an OG Paint and Patina preservation project?...I hope so
55bundt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too saw this in the gallery this morning and from the looks of your parts list you must be going the patina route. Just one thing you can check off that list is the split rear window trim...those are for a late 52 early 53. Please post lots more pics and thanks for sharing!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
koolerkrotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

55bundt wrote:
I too saw this in the gallery this morning and from the looks of your parts list you must be going the patina route. Just one thing you can check off that list is the split rear window trim...those are for a late 52 early 53. Please post lots more pics and thanks for sharing!!

Thanks for the word on the window trims...hard to beat the knowledge database here. Any input on these markings under the back seat on the driver side? Thanks everyone

[/img]
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are wax pencil signatures of the various QC inspectors on the assembly line. They are found in various locations of VWs. They don't always survive so it is always cool to see them.

You know, a lot of these scratches will buff right out... Jerry Seinfeld
My57Oval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. Nice car! Did you find that in the CT area?

Seems like the NE is pretty picked over for stuff. It would be neat to know something like this can still be found around here, or actually anywhere.

R
D. Haviland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

unmolested is good.
Basketcase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's a great find.
koolerkrotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all of the thumbs up comments..This car was stored in CT since the early 70s. Still evaluating options .

I've done a number of total restorations over the years on various cars, best thing about this car is the originality and i will be very carful not to molest. I'm thinking of aiming for a restored correct chassis and driveline with the lovely patina body and interior on it. heater channels need replacement so the trick will be structurally fixing those without disturbing the rest of the "look" This would be a fun and popular ride at the events if done this way, plus with the restored correct chassis be well on the way toward the total resto should the next guy want to finish it.

I would also consider an interim later chassis and driveline to have the car on the road while i restore the original chassis...as long as i don't have to modify anything on the body to get it on there. I welcome any constructive opinions on this plan.
Mr. OGPaint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm really looking forward to seeing the progress and learning more about the car.
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tremendous find within CT! I also found my late '52 in NW CT in '91 (New Milford); what town was yours in?

Quote:
I would also consider an interim later chassis and driveline to have the car on the road while i restore the original chassis...as long as i don't have to modify anything on the body to get it on there. I welcome any constructive opinions on this plan.

In the early '90's I had a '56 sunroof Beetle on which larger parts of the original pan were patched with fiberglass. Friend had a solid '66 rolling chassis which I bought from him, treated the surface rust and painted a gloss black. It fit the '56 body with no modifications. A '66 would be the latest chassis you'd want to consider, simply because it is the last year of the short rear axles. Viewed from outside the car with your 16" wheels you would not be able to tell a later chassis. IIRC one of the two body bolts at the outer edges of the body flange under the rear seat was not utilized because the '66 pan did not have the threaded hole for the 2nd bolt, but that was minor. For your '52 body, if your brake fluid reservoir is on the recessed ledge behind the spare tire in the trunk, then you also use the same hose routing to the master cylinder.

The inside will have the telltale flat gas pedal (as of the 1958s), and the '65-on dual heater levers at the base of the handbrake, but the car will function well.

I realize the original engine came with the car, and might want to check it before trying to start it and use it with a later chassis. If you happen to have a running spare 36hp engine to use with the later trans of a -thru '66 chassis, it will bolt on directly and appear sort-of period correct. Only your later starter will need to have the body wiring converted to press-on terminals, unless you use the original '52 starter. Definitely keep the screw-on wiring ends from your '52 body in the engine compartment, and simply make adapters if your later engine has blade-type wire ends.

Those rear fender dents could probably be pounded out for a significant improvement in a half days' work...
allsidius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those fenders can easily be saved, take them off and take them to a good panel beater. I had one fender bender done on my much newer car, and the panel guy said the OG metal of the VW was the best he had ever worked with. I can't say how pleased I am that I still have the 4 original fenders with the car.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rear shock towers are taller on later pans so you would not be able to bold on shocks on the rear without cutting the body. It might be possible to modify the towers or make adaptors to mount the short split shocks though.

Your engine needs to be completely taken apart and gone through before attempting to start it. Any number of things can be going on inside due to sitting so long and attempting to start it or getting it running can result in a pile of expensive scrap metal. In addition you don't know if it was in running condition when parked so it might have mechanical issues that caused it to be parked in the first place.

silvertonguedevil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They ARE still out there! Shocked Nice find!!
grandpa pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please share how you found/found out about this car ?

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569619&highlight=sedan+delivery
koolerkrotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

grandpa pete wrote:
Please share how you found/found out about this car ?

If I did that then everyone would be finding them!

Seriously though...was looking at a house for sale, the next door neighbor had some various obscure classics rotting in the yard. I went back the next day, the guy showed me around and there it was, splitty in the barn.
VEE DUB BOYS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bet ya whizzed your pants!! I was out dub junkin back in the early 90s with a buddy of mine. This guys place had hundreds of VWs. Out in the middle of a field, we spotted a convertible. As we got closer, I noticed the out of place decklid of a Heb. Upon closer inspection, we saw that it was handcrafted. If the decklid had not been sculpted with a couple gallons of Bondo, it might have been worth the $500 asking price. That place was loaded with rusty ovals and Split buses that were picked clean....might still be there
koolerkrotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 6:41 pm    Post subject: KM per hour speedo Reply with quote

My speedo is dated Jan 52...KM per hour. Does this make the car an individual import? Were all the hoffmans MPH? Waiting on the birth cert.

splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Introducing 1952 deluxe barn find #334191 Reply with quote

All Hoffman cars had MPH speedos as far as I know. A majority of the Hoffman splits also had the cyclonic air cleaner.

koolerkrotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 5:58 am    Post subject: Re: Introducing 1952 deluxe barn find #334191 Reply with quote

My motor is pretty much untouched...and it has a T air cleaner.

VIN 334191 March 1952

Engine 1-0403845 March 1952
Right case Feb 19 1952
Left case Feb 26 1952
Case matching stamps 769
Generator 2H Feb 1952
Regulator 2H Feb 1952
383 Distributor 1H Jan 1952
Carb: banded bowel 554490
Jacketed intake

Coil: later i think..what belongs on there?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: