Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Idle Cut Off Valve 66' Beetle 12v
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Speedmster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 11:30 am    Post subject: Idle Cut Off Valve 66' Beetle 12v Reply with quote

1966 VW Beetle
12volt conversion
30pic1 carb

Yesterday my Beetle engine started to quit running when I would stop at a light or very low rpm. It would restart fine, but I had to stay in the gas to keep it running. After returning home I found that the Idle Cut Off Valve had electrically failed (meltdown). What I want to know is where this valve is getting it's electrical current from and what I should be checking to make sure that something electrical didn't cause this the valve to fail.
grandpa pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that pulls voltage from terminal 15 on the coil...O2 on your enlarged laminated wiring diagram that you got out of the tech section

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569619&highlight=sedan+delivery
61SNRF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Idle solenoid gets it's power from the Ignition switch +15 when you turn the key on, which on a VW is wired in parallel off the Coil +15 supply from the fuse box connection. Same engine sub-harness also integrates the O1 Automatic Choke +15 supply.
See wiring diagram above (hat's off to g-pa Smile )

Idle solenoids are basically an electro-magnetic control valve that when activated pulls up normally down iron pintle to open the idle jet fluid passage in the carb.

Whether 6 or 12 volt they have windings made from very fine wires and normally only need a few 1000th of an amp current to create enough magnetic field to act upon the lightly sprung iron pintle. Being well insulated internally, good ones are typically robust and can last for years/100k miles.

If yours got hot and melted down as you say, if it's rated at 12 volts (should be well marked) that can only mean it had suddenly drawn way too many amps of current before it expired or gone open circuit as it now is.

Other than an internal failure by short circuit, hard to conceive any external force that might cause one to electrically overheat out of the blue, so just sounds like you might need a new one.

Easy and cheap enough to find new 12 volt versions though.

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
Speedmster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what I thought it did, but just wanted to check. Thank you for the info. I got a new 12v one ordered. You brought up a good point about the 12 volt. I do not remember if we replaced it when we did the 12 volt conversion and that might be the root of the issue.
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interestingly, I just ran into this on a 66 that I am working on. 6V car that is being converted to 12. I think the carb is a 30PICT1. Since I didnt have a 12V solenoid for it (and at the time, didnt even realize it had the cut off unil I couldnt get the car to idle), I simply installed a stock 55 idle jet. Double checked with Tim at Volkzbitz to make sure this is OK to do. Idles beautifully now.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speedmster wrote:
That's what I thought it did, but just wanted to check. Thank you for the info. I got a new 12v one ordered. You brought up a good point about the 12 volt. I do not remember if we replaced it when we did the 12 volt conversion and that might be the root of the issue.

It has 6V or 12V stamped on it if you want to check

Example
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
diablosandwich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you unscrew the electric plunger from the idle jet, can you solder or epoxy the hole closed for a 55 idle jet? I have the same six volt as in above picture and wondered if it would work, or just find a normal 55 jet. Casey
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I posted the other day that I unscrewed it and put in a regular Solex 55 idle jet on a 66 I am working on and it idles beautifully.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
diablosandwich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was wondering if the jet on the end of the cut off valve is the same as a stock idle jet. I have a 55 idle jet in place of the cut off valve (from Tim at Volkbitz) on my bug now. I have another 30 PICT1 I was rebuilding with a 6 volt cutoff. Can I toss the electrical part and fill the hole? Would this be the same as a stock 55 idle jet. Here is an ad of what I have. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1824555. Casey
vdubmyk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would just find a regular jet. Something like these http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1824553

Any VW shop would have spare carbs lying around and should have these.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: