Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Lights turned on...Radio goes off
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
buffalovebus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 5:30 am    Post subject: Lights turned on...Radio goes off Reply with quote

Hi everyone,
Can anyone help me troubleshot and figure out how to fix the problem when electrical goes wacky? After taking my bus out for an evening drive I turned my lights on and the radio turned off. Any quick fixes or simple adjustment?

Thanks in advance!
Michael
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chrisradioman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've connected the radio ground to the illumination feed.
This is -ve when off but 12V when on its a common mistake
buffalovebus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chrisradioman wrote:
You've connected the radio ground to the illumination feed.
This is -ve when off but 12V when on its a common mistake

I don't understand what "illumination feed" means. I should mention that It worked correctly for many years so it was connected correctly. Maybe a ground wire detached? Oh god there are like a million wires and they all seem connected to me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

common rule- when nothing makes sense- its a ground-

GF had a saab that the windows went up and down when hit a bump- master ground by the radiator was pulled loose.

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
buffalovebus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

williamM wrote:

GF had a saab that the windows went up and down when hit a bump- master ground by the radiator was pulled loose.

Makes sense...any fat chance you might know where the ground wire is located? Thanks!
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpmitri wrote:
williamM wrote:

Makes sense...any fat chance you might know where the ground wire is located? Thanks!

Sorry- just an old bus guy, but many beetles had a ground lug with spades spot welded to the frame behind the dash.

Don't step in any!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 73 has a lug under the wiper motor that te grounds go to.. then there is a lug on the speedo gauge plate. any thing brown should do

.[img]
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
[/img]

Don't step in any!
buffalovebus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

williamM wrote:
My 73 has a lug under the wiper motor that te grounds go to.. then there is a lug on the speedo gauge plate. any thing brown should do

.[img]
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
[/img]

Thanks you guys...I will poke around and see what I find.
udidwht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the radio stay off once the lights are turned on? Or does it go off then come back on after lights are turned on?
71mm Stroke
73 Web Cam w/Web solids
Dual 40mm IDF Webers - LM-2 - 47.5 idles/125 mains/190 air corr./F11 tubes/28mm Vents - Float height 10.45mm/Drop 32mm
Bosch SVDA w/Pertronix module (7.5 initial 28 total @ 3400rpm)
Bosch W8CC plugs
Pertronix Flamethrower 40K coil
S&S 4-1 w/Walker QP 17862
3 rib 002 Trans
185R14 Hankook tires
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure the battery is installed correctly? Pos to +, neg to -
buffalovebus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

udidwht wrote:
Does the radio stay off once the lights are turned on? Or does it go off then come back on after lights are turned on?

So it goes off then comes back on maybe a few times...but then will go off for good.
buffalovebus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tjet wrote:
Are you sure the battery is installed correctly? Pos to +, neg to -

I was hoping it could be that simple but I double checked that and it is in correctly.
buffalovebus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 7:19 pm    Post subject: Fues Box, Battery Reply with quote

I pulled each fuse and checked to make sure they were the correct ones and had a good connection but still nothing. I also pulled off the battery cables to clean. when I attached the negative post to the ground wire and began to connect it to the bolt on the bus it sparked....I dont ever remember seeing a spark from a ground wire.

I tested the battery with my multimeter and it is showing around 12 volts, however now the generator light is not even coming on and now I dont even hear a click from the starter. I checked all the connections to the starter and they are all secure and I tapped it a few times with a hammer. nothing worked.

One more thing, it starts right up with a jumpstart from my other car...and continues to run fine albeit "lights on radio goes off"
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you jump it, are you putting the neg jumper cable on the battery directly, or are you going to a chassis ground point?
buffalovebus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tjet wrote:
When you jump it, are you putting the neg jumper cable on the battery directly, or are you going to a chassis ground point?

On the battery
mikedjames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The spark you see when you connect the battery ground wire is usually all the capacitors on modern equipment attached to the battery charging up (harmless unless it blows fuses) , or relays and coils sparking when you did not make a solid connection (not good for the modern electronics)

My bus sparks when the negative lead is connected but it but it has a car radio and a couple of small computers connected to the battery.

The ground wire from the radio could be going to a point which has corroded, and so has become intermittent which might explain the fact it comes and goes for a bit before failing .

It may be going to a ground point shared with the lighting - are you sure that all the rest of the electrics are working ?

The overall failure to start without a jump start points to a failing battery or dirty battery termnals or clamps - look inside -I had a black layer all over that sparking negative terminal - it needed sand paper.

1974 VW T2 : Devon Eurovette camper with 1641 DP T1 engine, Progressive carb, full flow oil cooler, EDIS crank timed ignition.
Engine 1: 40k miles (rocker shaft clip fell off), Engine 2: 30k miles (rebuild, dropped valve). Engine 3: a JK Preservation Parts "new" engine, aluminium case: 26k miles: new top end.
Gearbox rebuild 2021 by Bears.

1979 Westerly GK24 24 foot racer/cruiser yacht Forethought of Gosport.
1973 wooden Pacer sailing dinghy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: