Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Flipping a Tank?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
GS guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Flipping a Tank? Reply with quote

Got my tank back from good friend "Bills Metals". After trying to tack the new parts in place I decided my skills weren't quite there without blowing holes in the tank like I was welding with a shotgun! Bill did his magic with the tig (and some mig internally) tying everything into place for the first stage.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

No filler opening now! I marked the hood and drilled a pilot hole, then used a block with same-size hole (kind'a like a drill guide) to drop a length of steel rod through - this "indicated" the position on the tank where the new filler needs to be located. I'm leaving the tank "open" until I get the new neck fitted so all the metal shavings from the new filler opening can be cleaned out before closing up.

I was trying to think of a way to hold things into position securely (tank top to bottom and new filler neck in place) so they could be welded later - and I'm going to try hot glue gun "tacking". I was reading that IPA takes it right off so seems like the perfect temporary means of securing parts in prep for welding - especially with the limited access under the hood and working under the dash! Position the parts - hot glue a few spots - disassemble and remove the tank from the body then tack/weld, remove the glue and finish weld. Seems like it might just work. Hey - at least its progress! Laughing
Jeff
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: